Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quick Build 1970 Superbird.

Custom Hearse

Hi everyone! I wanted to get away from the Corvette limo build for a little bit, so I built this Monogram '70 Superbird in one week. I was afraid if I didn't get away for awhile I was gonna burn out on the limo and then shove it in a box to sit for awhile before I got back on it.

The only thing not straight from the box are the wheels, which came in the Monogram Petty Superbird. I thought they looked better than the 500's that came with this kit. I did not detail it at all with engine wiring or anything else, I just put it together for the fun of it. The decals are not on it yet. I ordered a set from Keith Marks, because this kit doesn't include the logo for the wing and the headlight cover.

On to the pictures, and thanks for looking!

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

Edited by Custom Hearse

Nice work Marshall, One week huh, takes me that long to open the box. LOL

Can't wait to see it with decals applied, should make a nice finishing touch.

Thanks Ron! The decals should be in anytime now. I just thought it stunk that Monogram didn't add the wing logo, but I guess they couldn't get the licensing.

Thanks Nick! I'm a big Petty fan. The hair you see isn't stuck to the car... I just didn't see it when I took the pics. It's gone now.

020.jpg

Thanks Harry! I just need to touch up the silver paint on it. I ran out of chrome foil, so I just decided to paint the trim.

Edited by Custom Hearse

I know what you mean by cheating, but you did such a great job on the vinyl top, you really can't tell the kit was molded in that color.

Molded in black? Nope... I brush painted the top. It came out kinda cruddy the first coat, so I gave it a second coat, and it came out perfect... Maybe...:)

Anybody else wanna figure out where I cheated? Hehehehe...;)

Molded in black? Nope... I brush painted the top. It came out kinda cruddy the first coat, so I gave it a second coat, and it came out perfect... Maybe...:D

Anybody else wanna figure out where I cheated? Hehehehe...:huh:

I know , you had garfield finish it when you were stuck on the glue ..Thanx..w

I think RJ was suggesting it is molded in blue and you just did the top,which was my first guess til I looked at the rear picture closer and now think its paint,just very smooth paint :D. So my guess is that it isn't glued together,just kind of propped up!:huh:

Yes, I thought it was molded in blue.

Thanks Greg.