Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why not these things

My answers would echo pretty much whats been posted already......I'll ad a few notes.

1. Mass market like vinyl and it's easier to mold and manufacture.

2. Try and run a small business, real job, family life, cut the grass etc etc. Not enough minutes in a day.

3. As stated been tried....didn't work. BUT I too love tractors and construction equipment. I found a R/C off road Quarry dump truck. It's 1/25 scale (still BIG) decent detail and weathered.....makes a nice model! I also have a few of the die cast models. One is a dual engined CAT scraper...another huge model....and one reason we don't have many kits. There are shovels and bulldozers, backhoes etc made......many in 1.25 but lots of other scales too. Lindberg did 3 kits in smaller scales....the scraper is cool....don't have the others.....for as rare as the kits are....not expensive.

And then there's always toys you can convert............

kat4-vi.jpg

Exactly.

If there was a market for kits like that, somebody would be making them.

Well, it's funny, ERTL made four different tractor kits, plow kits and trailer kits. A backhoe kit and an off road quarry dump kit all of which saw a second release. Yes, even the John Deere farm tractor was released a second time. AMT offered a D8H dozer that has been issued five times! With and without a trailer. The Kenworth Challenge Mixer is the holy grail of model truck kits. Always fetches about 300.00 on Ebay whenever one is listed. I assure you guys, I know what I'm talking about here. I have every 1/24 and 1/25 Construction kit ever made by both American and foriegn companies. Not to mention the hundreds of construction kits in various other scales. I've been in many, many model truck groups for years and almost every member is a fan of construction equipment. Model truck builders have been using them for years as loads and have been turning to diecast models because the construction and farm kits are so hard to get.

Edited by Ben

I guess First Gear made an unwise decision to release an International TD40B dozer in 1/24, An International Payscraper in 1/24, an International Payhauler dump in 1/24, An S Series International with tri axle lowboy in 1/24 a S Series dump in 1/24 and a Komatsu dozer in 1/24 with every one of them being in the 200.00 to 300.00 range and every single one of them sold well.

Edited by Ben

...And having shown it to my model car club, even taking it to a couple of regional shows, it pretty much drew a collective yawn.

Manlift1-vi.jpg

Art

Oh, so it's not just me?

RimShotJohnnyUtah.jpg

Model CAR club! Take it to a model TRUCK club and see how many guys would be asking where you bought it! Two of those would make a very nice load for a flatbed. If you guys don't build trucks and construction equipment, how can you have an opinion on what would sell well? That would be like me going to a thread on model aircraft and telling the guys in there that a plane they would like to see would never sell well. I mean, I don't build planes, I don't work on real planes but I have the right to tell them that, when they know WAY more about them than I do, would never sell well! This is a model CAR forum with guys that build model CARS. Go to any of the hundreds of model truck forums on Yahoo and Facebook and see if your "model construction equipment would never sell well" fly's over there!

Edited by Ben

Model CAR club! Take it to a model TRUCK club and see how many guys would be asking where you bought it! Two of those would make a very nice load for a flatbed. If you guys don't build trucks and construction equipment, how can you have an opinion on what would sell well? That would be like me going to a thread on model aircraft and telling the guys in there that a plane they would like to see would never sell well. I mean, I don't build planes, I don't work on real planes but I have the right to tell them that, when they know WAY more about them than I do, would never sell well! This is a model CAR forum with guys that build model CARS. Go to any of the hundreds of model truck forums on Yahoo and Facebook and see if your "model construction equipment would never sell well" fly's over there!

If there is such a huge market for these models, as you insist... where are all the new releases of farm and construction equipment?

If there is such a huge market for these models, as you insist... where are all the new releases of farm and construction equipment?

You can't have a market for something that doesn't exist. The hot news on most of the model truck and armor forums, of which I belong to many, is the release of that new Meng Cat D9R dozer kit. It's only 1/35 but it's the only kit of a D9R ever produced. I'll bet you a hundred to one that kit flies off the shelves! I know several people that have already bought two and paid the extra shipping from China just to get them faster. As soon as they hit the states I'll be buying two as well. It's funny, there were no new truck and trailer kits a few years ago either. Why don't you ask Moebius how well their Lonestar, Prostar and reefer are selling! Guys are buying them by the case!

You can't have a market for something that doesn't exist. The hot news on most of the model truck and armor forums, of which I belong to many, is the release of that new Meng Cat D9R dozer kit. It's only 1/35 but it's the only kit of a D9R ever produced. I'll bet you a hundred to one that kit flies off the shelves! I know several people that have already bought two and paid the extra shipping from China just to get them faster. As soon as they hit the states I'll be buying two as well. It's funny, there were no new truck and trailer kits a few years ago either. Why don't you ask Moebius how well their Lonestar, Prostar and reefer are selling! Guys are buying them by the case!

I'm just asking a simple question. If there is such a huge market for these kits, with all of this incredible demand, as you insist there is, how is it that you are able to see that but the model kit manufacturers are not? Don't you think that the guys who manufacture model kits for a living would also have a pretty good handle on the market, and who wants what? The fact that these types of models are not being made in 1/25 scale would suggest that the manufacturers don't feel it's financially viable. If they felt it was, if they thought there was money to be made by manufacturing more of these kits, they'd be making them, right?

Any company owner or CEO with even a basic understanding of his consumer base and what the demand for a particular product is would be all over these types of models if they figured they could make a profit doing so. That's basic marketing 101.

Because most model companies don't listen to their priimary market! Look at Moebius, they chose to produce sublects that have never been attempted by other copmpanies and look how well they are doing! A new construction model has to be produced before it would sell well.

Because most model companies don't listen to their priimary market! Look at Moebius, they chose to produce sublects that have never been attempted by other copmpanies and look how well they are doing! A new construction model has to be produced before it would sell well.

You actually think that model manufacturers do not listen to their customers?

So apparently kit manufacturing companies are all run by morons with zero business sense?

Moebius did bring out subjects that haven't been made before, true. But wasn't there another model company that just released a '50 Olds? And isn't there a new, never-before-done '57 Ford? Didn't Lindberg do a never-done-before Ford Victoria a few years ago? And a Dodge 440?

Moebius isn't the only model company putting out subjects that have never been put out before.

So apparently kit manufacturing companies are all run by morons with zero business sense?

Moebius did bring out subjects that haven't been made before, true. But wasn't there another model company that just released a '50 Olds? And isn't there a new, never-before-done '57 Ford? Didn't Lindberg do a never-done-before Ford Victoria a few years ago? And a Dodge 440?

Moebius isn't the only model company putting out subjects that have never been put out before.

Ditto, what you just said!

And when those companies did release those subjects, they are selling well......right? How do they know for a fact that if they did tool up a new dozer kit that it wouldn't sell well??? The AMT D8H kit was rereleased FIVE times. Apparently there ARE people out there love to build dozer kits and they have ONE 1/25 kit to choose from!!!!! Knowing these facts, you wouldn't invest in an all new modern dozer kit????? I sure would!!!!!

Edited by Ben

Just because it's produced is not a guarrantee of money in the bank. Trust me, Moebius didn't come about those Hudsons and Chrysler 300's lightly--a lot of thinking, and a lot of discussion as to what, and as to why, then as to how went on for a couple of years before those projects got started. Believe me, nobody in the model kit industry does anything on a "whim", or just their own light-bulb moment--there's a ton of thought given to any new product, up front, long before we in the marketplace see even an announcement.

Art

Also, I use Moebius for an example as they were the only company with the guts to produce all new, fully detailed semi truck kits and it looks like it's paying off for them!

Just because it's produced is not a guarrantee of money in the bank. Trust me, Moebius didn't come about those Hudsons and Chrysler 300's lightly--a lot of thinking, and a lot of discussion as to what, and as to why, then as to how went on for a couple of years before those projects got started. Believe me, nobody in the model kit industry does anything on a "whim", or just their own light-bulb moment--there's a ton of thought given to any new product, up front, long before we in the marketplace see even an announcement.

Art

I can see that but that's the chance you'll take with any subject. There are no guarantees.

And when those companies did release those subjects, they are selling well......right? How do they know for a fact that if they did tool up a new dozer kit that it wouldn't sell well??? The AMT D8H kit was rereleased FIVE times. Apparently there ARE people out there love to build dozer kits and they have ONE 1/25 kit to choose from!!!!! Knowing these facts, you wouldn't invest inan all new modern dozer kit????? I sure would!!!!!

Ben,

Merely reissuing a model kit almost never equals the production numbers needed on first release of a new kit in order to pay back the costs of bringing it out. Back in the late 1970's, while delivering some box art models to AMT Corporation, I suggested a reissue of the D8H tractor--I was told that when the kit was first issued, in 1972--it literally bombed, badly.

However, considering that the loss on that tooling was written off decades ago, any reissue of it can be done in production runs far smaller than were originally needed for the kit to be profitable, so such costs as are involved in a reissue (and those aren't exactly chopped liver!) can be absorbed and paid back with runs of only a very few thousand kits or so.

Reissue VS newly tooled kit? Apples and Oranges, my friend.

Art

Ben,

Merely reissuing a model kit almost never equals the production numbers needed on first release of a new kit in order to pay back the costs of bringing it out. Back in the late 1970's, while delivering some box art models to AMT Corporation, I suggested a reissue of the D8H tractor--I was told that when the kit was first issued, in 1972--it literally bombed, badly.

However, considering that the loss on that tooling was written off decades ago, any reissue of it can be done in production runs far smaller than were originally needed for the kit to be profitable, so such costs as are involved in a reissue (and those aren't exactly chopped liver!) can be absorbed and paid back with runs of only a very few thousand kits or so.

Reissue VS newly tooled kit? Apples and Oranges, my friend.

Art

But......they never would have reissued it, if they didn't think it would sell, right?

Hmnmm,

I must admit to either ignorance, or a lack of desire to travel great distances--but I have never run across a model club devoted primarily, let along exclusively to model truck building.

I have met and worked at some level with all the folks in control at model companies today. ALL of them are doing their best to walk that line between wants and what will sell. ALL of them put 100% into the hobby. I don't always agree with them myself......but they are playing with their own money so they make the call.....don't like it??? Take a large fortune, a year or two, LOTS of work ( a few trips to China or where ever) and produce a kit......prove them wrong!

I'm just asking a simple question. If there is such a huge market for these kits, with all of this incredible demand, as you insist there is, how is it that you are able to see that but the model kit manufacturers are not? Don't you think that the guys who manufacture model kits for a living would also have a pretty good handle on the market, and who wants what? The fact that these types of models are not being made in 1/25 scale would suggest that the manufacturers don't feel it's financially viable. If they felt it was, if they thought there was money to be made by manufacturing more of these kits, they'd be making them, right?

Any company owner or CEO with even a basic understanding of his consumer base and what the demand for a particular product is would be all over these types of models if they figured they could make a profit doing so. That's basic marketing 101.

Also Management 101, and of course, Economics 101.

Hmnmm,

I must admit to either ignorance, or a lack of desire to travel great distances--but I have never run across a model club devoted primarily, let along exclusively to model truck building.

You don't have to meet in person to have a club. Try telling this to the guys on the Model Truck Discussion group that is on Yahoo and Facebook. Hundreds of members and has been going strong for many years!!! That's just one of many!!!!!

Edited by Ben

I have met and worked at some level with all the folks in control at model companies today. ALL of them are doing their best to walk that line between wants and what will sell. ALL of them put 100% into the hobby. I don't always agree with them myself......but they are playing with their own money so they make the call.....don't like it??? Take a large fortune, a year or two, LOTS of work ( a few trips to China or where ever) and produce a kit......prove them wrong!

If I had that type of funding, I would do just so! I have been in the model truck and construction game for forty years. I know what the guys are asking for!

You guys keep making your points but how do you have any idea that a new construction equipment piece would not sell well????? Just because it's a subject your not interested in means nothing! I keep proving myself with the Lonestar semi truck kits!!! All the other model companies were too scared to take a chance and guys like you were saying "oh, a new truck kit would be a waste of time". I bet Moebius is sure glad they didn't listen to the naysayers and came out with three new kits for us truck builders........so far! I bought thirteen Lonstar kits, four Prostar kits and four reefers!!! I buy only two of each car kit I like.