Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where can I find PlastiKote primer?

Without a doubt - Car Quest. I'm about sick of driving 20 miles to the Car Quest store for Plast-i-cote. I usually try to hit the place around lunchtime and I stop at Taco Bell on the way home.

I'm now in the process of switching over to the Duplicolor brand. The last 2 cans of Plasticote primer/filler clogged up on me. I complained to Plasticote and they sent me a check to cover the cost of 1 can. The 3rd can clogged up too, so I sent Plasticote another email telling them how unhappy I was with their product and will be switching to Duplicolor unless they do something positive. No word in over 3 weeks. It's only a 5 mile ride to Advanced Auto Parts for Duplicolor. No Taco Bell on the way though.

• 2 months later...

Hey, ladies and fellas,

I just returned from a nearly 2-hour search of various paint retailers all over Sacramento in search of ANYONE carrying Plasti-cote sandable primer. NO LUCK. I checked online and it reported that Pep Boys, Target, Michaels and Sears all carried the product but after visiting each of these, I found that none of them do, (and in two cases, never did.)

Anybody know of a retailer carrying Plast-cote? I know there are substitutes, but this has been my 'go-to' product and I'd like to continue with it if at all possible.

Thanks.

-Mike

I feel your pain Mike. It has always been my go to primer but everyone quit carrying it around here. But I recently discovered that all Carquest auto parts stores carry it !! I found one within 30 miles of me and called and they had it. I've made several trips there and loaded up on it and they restock it !! Don't know if you have any of those around you but check around and see. I've also found it online before to order, but minumum orders and shipping charges stopped me in my tracks for that. Good luck. :rolleyes:

I feel your pain Mike. It has always been my go to primer but everyone quit carrying it around here. But I recently discovered that all Carquest auto parts stores carry it !! I found one within 30 miles of me and called and they had it. I've made several trips there and loaded up on it and they restock it !! Don't know if you have any of those around you but check around and see. I've also found it online before to order, but minumum orders and shipping charges stopped me in my tracks for that. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Danny, a Google search reveals 3 Carquest stores in Sacramento, I'll check it out tomorrow. Appreciate the heads up. :D

Amazon, I got all the colors. Price plus shipping was significantly lower than when I had the ( now defunct ) Car Quest store order for me.

Wow, that store must of had a hell of a mark up on the primer, I just checked, it was going to cost me $14 to buy a can from amazon, vs. the $10 at the car quest store

I have seen this primer at Blain's Farm & Fleet stores in the SE WI area, though not at Mills Fleet Farm (don't ask, long story on the two close but different store names), and it was definitely less than $8.00/can. I want to say $5.99 or so?

Tractor Supply stores did sell the Gray but now they sold their soul to the garbage from Rustolem. I get gray and white at a local AutoQuest store in Mechanicsburg, PA. It's worth looking for, nothing sands better.

Good to know AQ stocks it. Thanks for letting us know that. Just wanted to introduce myself and say Thanks for the info. I'm about twenty five mins North of Harrisburg towards Lewistown. Nice to see someone else from my area on here too.

Hey Guys,

With all of this discussion on Plastikote primer, can someone provide a photo, product number, or other info on which specific primer in their line everyone is talking about? I have seen at least 15 different primers listed on the CarQuest website. I have sworn by Tamiya white and Duplicolor primers for years, but am always open to an alternative. Thanks