Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '72 Porsche 914/6 2'n1

unclescott58

Is that Porsche kit really in 1/25 scale, (not 1/24th)? I wonder if the road-race version's parts will include fender flares, Minilite racing wheels and that Richie Ginther cut-down windshield; any idea, anyone?

It's a 40+ yr old Revell kit, so it would be 1/25th... some box art pics of older issues. I've never had one, but I've heard it has some challenges in the fit and the windshield frame is delicate..

race914.jpg

post-481-1423637390.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

Is that Porsche kit really in 1/25 scale, (not 1/24th)? I wonder if the road-race version's parts will include fender flares, Minilite racing wheels and that Richie Ginther cut-down windshield; any idea, anyone?

The flier in the OP says that the 914 is a 2'n1 kit. I don't remember any issue of the kit having more than one building option available. I would expect that the stock and Ginther/racing versions are the two options, though we will have to wait and see.

This kit is the one I most excited about; more than I've been about any kit in a long time. I'm a huge fan of the 914. I've already got a couple of builds in mind - no, none involve V8s.

Edited by SSNJim

I am looking at the 914 too. The engines will beef up a couple of my dune buggy and bus projects, and one will be built stock. I really want to build one up as a rusted out orange one that three of us (yes, three!) drove out from Port Huron MI to Chicago, and back through Wisconsin and the U.P. It was quite an interesting trip.

I have only owned the stock version of the kit but to the best of my knowledge the only difference between it and the racing version is the cut down windscreen and the decals. And unless they are creating new tooling for the kit (most unlikely) Minilites and flared wheel arches won't be included.

Yes the windscreen frame is extremely delicate.

I have never built it box stock but with some kit bashing and effort it can be built into a nice replica.

DSCN1863-vi.jpg

I was given a started Ritchie Ginther version a few years back. It was missing the windscreen, so I just made a full cage.

I would assume the only difference between the Road Race and Stock version is the racing seat, windscreen, tachometer, and the fire extinguisher. :unsure: The Fuchs it came with are junk. I used some from one of their Beetles, which ironically, is the best part in the old Revell Beetle kits.

102_1389.jpg

The whole back end fitment is kinda wonky. This is the best I felt like getting it:

102_1391.jpg

Edited by Zarana-X

• 1 month later...

Not to be a downer, but the proportions of these models are pretty poor. I have owned several 914s and have a shell / project car now. Last time I took one of the kits down off the shelf and really looked at it, I put it back. No time to do that much rework right now.

There IS a builder on this site who's done a remarkable build starting with the Revell kit, with some worthwhile corrections and even a very nice set of the signature 914 racer fender flares.

I seem to remember the body was going to be offered in resin at some point.

Not to be a downer, but the proportions of these models are pretty poor. I have owned several 914s and have a shell / project car now. Last time I took one of the kits down off the shelf and really looked at it, I put it back. No time to do that much rework right now.

There IS a builder on this site who's done a remarkable build starting with the Revell kit, with some worthwhile corrections and even a very nice set of the signature 914 racer fender flares.

I seem to remember the body was going to be offered in resin at some point.

I assume that would be me Bill and the trans- kit is now available from Historic Racing Miniatures.

DSCN1672-vi.jpg

This is what the kit looks like built-up.

DSCN1925-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

I have the transkit and its totally rad.

can I ask, JC, what is holding the back of your buildup up in the air? I would like to have it sit lower than that. did you make that stance on purpose or could you share whats keeping it from settling down a little more? thanks and I am looking forward to building it up, so much in fact that I am not that excited about this Revell reissue even though I have tried to buy an earlier one on ebay for some time now without luck. the resin one just looks so much better.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

JB, the wheels were not permanently installed in the photo above. I used that photo because no decals are included in the trans-kit. On my finished build the rear is down a bit more. I think the absence of a rear valance gives the illusion that the rear is higher than it actually is. If you want it even lower you should be able to trim the top of the front struts and rear shocks. Beware though I used as wide as tires possible in the trans-kit. There isn't much room left inside the fender wells.

DSCN2013-vi.jpg

9146gt-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

Beautiful job on that, JC (AFX).

The stock early 914-4 is great fun to drive because it's so light and handles so well, but the flared and hot-rodded six-cylinder powered cars are a whole 'nother ballgame. Company I worked for long ago had a ratty 3.0 RS-powered, flared 914 autocrosser, lowered and lightened as much as possible. Man, that was some car.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

A friend used to have a 914-6 with a 3.2 Carrera engine in it. It was painted Grabber blue. It looked stock aside from the color. What a sleeper.

Porsche offered a color close to Grabber Blue so it may have been a stock color. From what I have read Porsche was willing to paint the cars any custom color you wanted as long as you were willing to pay for it.

914colors1190996484-vi.jpg

Beautiful job on that, JC (AFX).

The stock early 914-4 is great fun to drive because it's so light and handles so well, but the flared and hot-rodded six-cylinder powered cars are a whole 'nother ballgame. Company I worked for long ago had a ratty 3.0 RS-powered, flared 914 autocrosser, lowered and lightened as much as possible. Man, that was some car.

Thanks Bill.

Porsche offered a color close to Grabber Blue so it may have been a stock color. From what I have read Porsche was willing to paint the cars any custom color you wanted as long as you were willing to pay for it.

In this particular case the owner had it painted Ford Grabber blue during it's restoration.