Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 El Camino - Foiled ! 5/8/13

Bob, If you want to trade, I have a 60 SMP Elco that I kitbashed with a 59 to get the same results you got there, and it wasn't NOWHERE near the work you put into yours! But then again, mine DOESN'T have that nice detail that the Revell 60 Chevy has either! I might have done it the easy way, but YOU'RE doin it the RIGHT WAY! Looks GREAT!

I've been busy with other stuff for a while but managed to get in a couple of hours Sunday night .

I pieced together the exhaust with turbo mufflers made out of 1/8" thick styrene , pipes from 3/32 aluminum rod , and the tips will be polished aluminum tubing . I pinned the parts for easier alignment .

Thanks for looking .

Edited by TooOld

• 1 month later...

It's been over a month and I'm finally back working on this El Camino !

Over the weekend I about finished the interior , paint and some BMF . I added a clutch pedal and made a shift lever and boot , and the steering wheel from Detail Masters . I'd prefer to use the stock wheel but this is a recreation of my own El Camino and that's what it had . I'm still going to add some floor mats , and I didn't forget the seat belts , it didn't have any !

It's taped together for the photos since it will be assembled inside the finished body to make sure everything

Edited by TooOld

I also remade the hood hinge , it was kind of big and ugly . I found some small diameter brass rod that fit into .062 tubing and made a new one .

I'm also trying something a little different to dress them up a bit . Kind of crude but you get the idea , I can add springs after it's painted .

What do you think ?

Edited by TooOld

Engine bay is coming along nicely..

Dig the hinge idear..thanks for the update.

With the warm weather ..I tend to put building on simmer too.

Thank you James !

It's warm or HOT here most of the year so weather doesn't affect my build time much , just other things to take care of .

I've been debating if I should modify the rear bumper , so after I sprayed the taillight panel I stuck the side trim and rear bumper on to see what it looks like .

Everything looks good , but the bumper is going to bug me if I don't fix it !

Most people don't realize the difference between the Impala bumper and the El Camino bumper , but once you know it you see it every time you look .

Here's a photo showing the difference around the license plate area .

Edited by TooOld