Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Do You Want To See Next?

• 3 years later...

Well, the topic is "What Do You Want to See Next?", and that's was what I'd like to see next.   The kit companies already have people on their payroll who's job is to figure out what will actually turn a profit.

Though I will say that, the boat tail Riviera is one of those subjects that comes up on a regular basis, and the reaction to the idea is almost universally positive.  Maybe a missed it, but I can't remember anyone posting, "No, I hate those terrible Rivieras!  Anything but that!", and usually whatever you propose, you can count on a few people piping in to say how much they hate it.

The 71-73 Rivieras are popular with custom crowd, so adding some lowrider and/or donk parts would broaden the appeal.

I'd buy one before I'd buy say, a '64 Belvedere.  Just saying...

7 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Although the ( insert any one of these selections)  would be fun to see seriously doubt that enough units could be sold to make it economically feasible. Just  too limited  appeal. Best chance would be a resin kit.

Quote Bob Tabor 

One that I would like to see and that I atleast belive would be economically feasible is a 70s VW van/bus/panel
They have made a lot of different aircooled VW kits over the years but so far not the bay-window bus. Hasegawa has their 67 splitwindow and looks like they are making good money on that tooling, Revell AG made a brand new tooling of the splitwindow in 1:24 and also in 1:16 aswell as two different beetles in 1:24 and Gunzes 56 Oval and Karmann Ghia has been out several times and sells out quikly each time and the old Revell 1:25 Vanagon and the even older 1:25 68 bug has been out many times aswell.
Licencing issues?
They got so much other VW products so why not a baywindow?
It has worldwide appeal, is popular in every country I can think of and has a huge amount of possible build options.

Everybody has their wishes and wants, but in this day and age the hobby of modeling cars/trucks the manufacturers have to choose very carefully..They have to be able to make various variations of any new kit with little modifications to the mold..Why Mobius ever did the Hudson is a question to me, but they were successful..I don't know why, but you seldom see one at a show now or can't buy one now..Revell did well with the 57 Ford line and Mobius did well with the 65 "B" body Plymouth line..Who knows what,if anything is coming..It will have to be successful for sure in the market place.The majority of us are now getting older so its got to be good.

On 3/29/2018 at 1:14 PM, Greg Myers said:

Alrighty then, put me down for an all new 289 flat side Cobra roadster.

and . . . 

a Cobra Daytona Coupe

and . . . 

a Bill Thomas Cheetah GT

1963-Shelby-289-Cobra_23-970x647.jpg

2016-ford-mustang_100519465_l.jpg

Bill-Thomas-Cheetah-GT.jpg

Are we brothers from another mother?  I'd only add a "fat hipped" 427 like this:

IcoVqW2.jpg

11 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

and next, I want to see some new issues of old kits , totally new modern quality kits.

Let's start with a '65-'66 Mustang coupe / notch back.

58e564e349570_DSC00131-940x627.jpg

1966_00062_03.jpg

66ford56922-1.jpg

869cada160c7c5ab260d5c9cd6df0423.jpg

Preach it, Brother.  I'd also add a 67/68 Notchback Mustang, if for nothing else but Trans Am racers.  For as much as I love the Fastback, Notchback Mustangs of those years far outsold the Fastback.

On 3/29/2018 at 3:17 PM, Atmobil said:

One that I would like to see and that I atleast belive would be economically feasible is a 70s VW van/bus/panel
They have made a lot of different aircooled VW kits over the years but so far not the bay-window bus. Hasegawa has their 67 splitwindow and looks like they are making good money on that tooling, Revell AG made a brand new tooling of the splitwindow in 1:24 and also in 1:16 aswell as two different beetles in 1:24 and Gunzes 56 Oval and Karmann Ghia has been out several times and sells out quikly each time and the old Revell 1:25 Vanagon and the even older 1:25 68 bug has been out many times aswell.
Licencing issues?
They got so much other VW products so why not a baywindow?
It has worldwide appeal, is popular in every country I can think of and has a huge amount of possible build options.

Bay window micro bus, Squareback and VW 181 "Thing" all seem like they would do fairly well. At least as well as another bug or split window and probably better than the Vanagon which has been kitted.

While there are several kits I would like to see re-issued, what I really want are prices to go down.  Up her in Canada the price per domestic kit is $36.99 to $42.99.  To buy Japanese kits are out of this world.  I have enough kits in my stash to last me until I am 150.

18 hours ago, Aaronw said:

Bay window micro bus, Squareback and VW 181 "Thing" all seem like they would do fairly well. At least as well as another bug or split window and probably better than the Vanagon which has been kitted.

Yes, I do think so to. Considering that anything else that is aircooled VW seem to sell in great numbers. The Vanagon kit has been out many times, I personally have 5 different issues (two different issues of the Club Joker camper, the Magnum P.I. version, German/Dutch police and the much rarer Transporter closed van issue) and Hasegawa seem to sell a lot of their split window panel aswell even if all the differences in many of them are just the decals (I have lost count of how many Eggplane Girls versions they have)
I know there is a 1:24 diecast of the baywindow from Welly and I do have a 1:24 diecast of the type 3 nothcback from Maisto.
If someone made a tooling of a Baywindow and a Type 3 they could sell several different variations and The Thing is everybit as iconic (if not more) as the Citroen Mehari that Heller gave us.
In my eyes, a dead sert hot seller.