Model Cars Magazine Forum

What makes us/you shelve a build ?

my name is tubs and I am a projectohalic. why you ask.... well

post-5121-0-70597400-1389623726_thumb.jp

um.... its because mostly of research for kits that I am currently building. by doing the research I....

post-5121-0-40368900-1389623920_thumb.jp

hmmmmm, anyways, as I am looking up info, I start wondering off said path and start seeing other cool things. "boy, this would look cool on this kit" so a go to my stash and kit that kit out ........

post-5121-0-19809100-1389623800_thumb.jp

where was I,,, oh yea, and I start that kit cause I saw this cool picture while looking for stuff for the kit I am already building, and so on, and so on. or I find parts that will look great on another kit, dig that one out, and before i know it, I have 25 kits in various stages of completion.....

post-5121-0-72643500-1389624061_thumb.jp

oh, a squirrel...... I have projects that I have started 25 years ago. yes, I am the laughing stock of my model group. never bring in anything finished!

Since I came back to the hobby about 5 years ago I have not shelved a build. Thats not to say I havent gotten frustrated or wanted to throw the thing at the wall, but I actually enjoy the problem solving process and seeing it through til the end. That being said I have a few models that didnt turn out the way I wanted them to. Usually I will buy a duplicate kit and give it a go again after I made my mistakes the first time. I also seem to be in the minority in that I only build one kit at a time, so I do not have other projects going that may take my focus away from a problem build.

If there's anything that makes me throw a kit back in the box its PAINT !!, Ive lost count of the amount of times I have shelved a build due to a bad paint finish or getting glue marks on a perfect paint job...you guys have the good old purple pond to rectify bad paint, unfortunately there is no such product in the UK.....how I wish there was !. So its a case of trying Oven cleaner which never works for me ..or rubbing the model down or ........shelving the thing !.

Ive literally in the last few days shelved a 65 GTO build due to getting a glue spot on the perefct paint ..I cant bear to look at it for now.

Edited by Mr Stock

If there's anything that makes me throw a kit back in the box its PAINT !!, Ive lost count of the amount of times I have shelved a build due to a bad paint finish or getting glue marks on a perfect paint job...you guys have the good old purple pond to rectify bad paint, unfortunately there is no such product in the UK.....how I wish there was !. So its a case of trying Oven cleaner which never works for me ..or rubbing the model down or ........shelving the thing !.

Ive literally in the last few days shelved a 65 GTO build due to getting a glue spot on the perefct paint ..I cant bear to look at it for now.

Purple Power major ingredient is basically Lye. If you can find a degreaser with that in it, try it. You can use 90% or higher rubbing alcohol, or non synthetic brake fluid. How do you guys clean anything over there/

Purple Power major ingredient is basically Lye. If you can find a degreaser with that in it, try it. You can use 90% or higher rubbing alcohol, or non synthetic brake fluid. How do you guys clean anything over there/

With great difficulty ! ha ha ...no seriously we do have a couple of options one is"Fairy power spray" a kind of heavy duty dishwashing detergent , this stuff removes most paints without attacking the plastic, but it can take a few days,

and the other is aerosol oven cleaner but this is hit and miss.

I work in a car parts store and we have a few degreasers in the shop, I might take a look at the ingredients.

With great difficulty ! ha ha ...no seriously we do have a couple of options one is"Fairy power spray" a kind of heavy duty dishwashing detergent , this stuff removes most paints without attacking the plastic, but it can take a few days,

and the other is aerosol oven cleaner but this is hit and miss.

I work in a car parts store and we have a few degreasers in the shop, I might take a look at the ingredients.

Lye is a strong alkaline solution of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. It is used to make soap and drain and oven cleaners. Chemical formula: KOH or NaOH. Just look for these terms or Chemical formulas on the container.

Lye is a strong alkaline solution of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. It is used to make soap and drain and oven cleaners. Chemical formula: KOH or NaOH. Just look for these terms or Chemical formulas on the container.

Thanks Gregg , I will take a look tomorrow very helpful advice

I have many unfinished projects, some going back 20 years. Shelved for all the reasons said above... missed the deadline for a club build or show, so I moved on to the next club build project. Got in over my head and didn't know how to finish. Lost interest, lost inspiration... you get it. Sometimes once I see my great idea up on wheels and I can squint and imagine it finished, that's enough!

I keep all my unfinished projects on the shelves right over my work bench so I have to look at them and can't forget about them. Every so often when I am bored with what's currently on the bench, I'll pull one down and fiddle a bit. Sometimes I'll work on one for a day or a week, and it goes back in the box. No problem, it's a bit further along for the next time.

I do one thing... I call it my Christmas Amnesty project every year. Just like the president pardons a turkey for Thanksgiving, I give amnesty to one of my unfinished projects over the end of year holidays. I've always had that week off, so it's a natural to take a break at year's end and spend it at the bench. So each year I pull down some deserving long dormant project, and give it my best shot at completion. There are times I won't finish, but as long as I keep going until it's done, I'm happy. I've been doing this for 14 years now. A bunch of guys on the Spotlight board also join me in this build each year. So it's all good, we get a lot of models out of boxes!

This year I've been working on my Jimmy Flintstone resin Dodge A100 van. I started a replica of a friend's old ride back when the resin first came out. Has to be 15 years ago or better! So right now I have it essentially complete and up on wheels. I am working on a problem creating wood bumpers right now. That got me frustrated, so I've given it a few days break. But I will solve it soon, add on the mirrors and it will be done!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Just wondering why some of us have so many models unfinished. Is it problems with the kit ? Loose interest before we finish ? Get interested in another kit ? Can't get the proper parts or decals for a build ? Just curious.

oh man, thats a long list of whys`.......i lose interest, or i did something to it that i dont quite like... i have so many builds started and not finished i should be shot! LOL i would guess i probably have 30 unfinished builds, a couple of dioramas in there too.....

cheers

bryan

CASTROL SUPER CLEAN will eat the paint off of anything and not damage the plastic. ive been using it forever, and it works great! ten bucks a gallon at any wally world.....

cheers

bryan

CASTROL SUPER CLEAN will eat the paint off of anything and not damage the plastic. ive been using it forever, and it works great! ten bucks a gallon at any wally world.....

cheers

bryan

I was mentioning what was in Purple Power, or Super Clean and to look for something equivalent in his country. They do not sell Super Clean or Purple Power in Great Britain. Also Super Clean is no longer made by Castrol, it is made by some other company now. Still great stuff.

Edited by lordairgtar

I've never shelved a build. I did stop working on one during a divorce, but I never took it off of the bench. I build one at a time, and as with the few others that do the same have mentioned, I think it's some kind of disorder-ish thing. I have to work on it until it's finished.

Unfortunately I think it has resulted in some builds that ended up maybe a little rushed toward the end because inspiration for something else hit.

Anyway, cool thread. I am suprised at just how many folks do shelve builds, and how many build multiple kits at a time.

Occasionally It happens to me when I start final assembly on a particular model and then find that things don't fit together right even though I test fitted everything beforehand. It is usually a resin kit where either the interior doesn't fit right after the dashboard is glued in place, or, the entire interior doesn't fit right after the glass is installed.

At that point after trimming and fitting several times with no success, instead of stepping on the darn thing, I put it all away and will come back to it usually months later with a fresh outlook and usually solve the problem and get everything together.

The last kit, I finished, last year, was a shelved kit. The first one, this year, was a shelved one. Both had painted bodies. My current build, while not painted, was started. Yesterday, I was looking for a part & found my 56 Chevy Del Ray was painted (metallic), but the roof had streaks & a puddle. It's next in the line up, as a 2 tone. The 56 "bumped" another unfinished kit, down a spot. Even though this thread started after re-starting the first build of the year, it has made me rethink several unfinished projects. My 4th kit, on this year's schedule, will be an untouched kit.

I'll walk away from a build if it has me frustrated. I have lots of ongoing projects so I just move on to something else. When I go back the problems usually get solved easily and I'm on my way again. I also build for the fun of it, so, as long as I'm progressing on something I'm happy.

Bingo! I have my Dodge A100 resin van on the bench and creating suitable wood bumpers (anyone want a dozen rejects?) has me frustrated. So it will sit a bit and I'm working on a '32 Ford sedan delivery in the meantime. I usually have 3-4 things on the bench. When I go upstairs, sometimes I have a specific mission in mind, other times I just look at the bench until something grabs my attention. Then I work on that one for awhile, whether it's for a task, an evening or until I finish it.

And another reason stuff gets shelved is that it gets pushed back on the bench to build something with a deadline. Maybe it's a theme model for a club build for the next meeting, or for a show theme. Or this week it will be for the 24 Hour Build. Yea, I will clear off the bench so I can build without distraction!

Edited by Tom Geiger