Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would mean more to you

It's a toss-up.On one hand,it's a definite thrill to know your model was seen to be unique in some way and will be seen by thousands of people when looking at a picture in a magazine.It's also a thrill to have your efforts judged to be outstanding compared to other modeler's efforts either by people's choice (as in an NNL) or from being judged in direct competition.One way isn't better than the other,they're just different.

Well, I don't take my models to shows so I guess I would never get an award or be in a magazine! I tend to build for my own satisifaction and while I think I build a decent model, I am too critical of my work to take it to a show and let others judge it.

In the end, I enjoy this hobby and have never felt the need to build contest winning models or seek fame and recognition.

Does it make me shallow if I say I like and want both? I got into the latest contest annual and man it made my week. I love winning awards at contests. I work hard on my models to make them the best I can. If they are recognized either by folks here on the forum or by awards it gives me a complete warm and fuzzy.

Yeah I guess it does make me shallow, but I really don't care. As a character flaw, it's pretty minor.

Magazine. Had one in the SA Contest Annual a few years ago and dragged that puppy around to show to anyone who would look. I've won a couple of awards but while special it just wasn't the same thrill as seeing the truck first on SA website and then in the Annual.

Ummm..... Harry, unmarked bills or Paypal?......

Edited by peter31a

Forgive me if this sounds like bragging...... as that is NOT how it is meant...... I've had my share of both winning awards and having models pictured in magazines over the past 20 years...... Having a model pictured in a magazine is to me is far better than winning an award...... even though winning an award is pretty cool.