Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question on Ferrari 308 kits

Hello,

It is interesting that for being one of the most recognized Ferrari cars ever (and one of my favorites as well), kits of the 308 are not that common. At least in 1/24 - 1/25 scales. The Revell Magnum kit is quite bad in terms of fit and accuracy. It seems to be a mix of a GTB (interiors, roof) a GTS (side louvers) and early prototypes (back bumper?) and the scale seems to be off (smaller than the advertised 1/24).

I know there is a Monogram GTB. Is it much better? Is it a curbside? Other than these 2, are there more kits of this car? I recall a Testor's one back in the late 80's but it is quite hard to find, even on the 'bay.

Back in 1986 (WOW! it's been 20 years already) while in California for a summer intern at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab, I saw the most beautiful Ferrari 308 I've ever seen: It was light blue with very light tan interiors. That car was etched in my then 16 years old mind. I've always wanted to do a model of that car.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Ismael "the Corvette guy who also likes Ferraris" Gonzalez

I've already built your model :shock: :( See below. We may have remembered the same car from SoCal; I lived there in the early 80's.

I had the same questions as the 308 is IMHO one of the best Ferrari designs of all time and wanted the best looking model. Brian Venable showed me the various 308's in his vast collection of Ferraris and he was correct proclaiming that the Monogram curbside 308 is the best of the entire bunch, the shape is the most accurate. Even at that it's not perfect, the engine cover/decklid is a bit flat and the taillight location isn't perfect. If you can live w/o an engine, it's really a very nice looking model. I simply relocated the taillight lenses outboard of their locating holes, and I found a cheap Magnum PI parts kit for some fairly accurate Pirellis instead of the TRX's that came w/the 308.

I think Gunze's 308 is the next-best kit, it has opening doors and I believe fender flares. Nice overall detail.

Nice thing about the Monogram kit is they can be found cheap. I almost bought one for $5 at our show in '04, a friend walked up and saw it, he also knew through Brian that it was "the one" and I asked if he wanted build it, he said "yes", and I let him buy it. I wasn't going to let it sit on the table or go to someone who wouldn't build it right :wink:

I built my 308 from recollecting perhaps the same car you remember:

3082-vi.jpg

3081-vi.jpg

3083-vi.jpg

HELP!! Police! That's my caaaaaaar!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Wow Bob, Even in SoCal, I don't think that would have been very common. So yes, most likely we saw the same car!

Thanks for the info. I have the Revell Magnum kit and I just bought a Monogram from the 'bay. So I think I should have the material for the build, as long as I receive the one from the 'bay and there is no problems with it...

I like the Cobra Colors Azurro California.....

Thanks,

I saw either the same one, or one just like it back in the '80s too! (It may have been the late '70s.) I remember thinking you don't see many Ferrari's in light metallic blue. I've lived in Southern California all my life. I saw it in Newport Beach. I wonder if it is the same car...?

Haha this one may end up being almost as notorious (in a quiet way) as the recent Enzogate Ferrari!

I also saw one like it (or perhaps the same one again considering it was in CA) at the Concorso Italiano in '00, rekindled my affection for the 308 in this shade of blue.

I saw a Grigio Alloy (silvery-blue) Modena this weekend at a local cruise night, it reminds me of a modern-day version of this 308, it's a perfect shade for a standard Modena as the light blue is on the 308.

Brian, thanks for the comment on my model. It's one of my favorites, even though I screwed up the paint on the passenger side B pillar when I was peeling the window masking tape :cry: Hard color to blend w/o a total repaint. I have another version to build, the racing variant molded in yellow w/separate flares. They're now molded in and the car is in primer, but other desired body modifications to make it look like a tuner put it on the back burner.

Beautiful build Bob!! I love the blue. I have never seen a light blue F-car before!!!

Thanks! I saw a Grigio Alloy (light silver blue) 360 Modena being delivered to a customer one day at the Ferrari dealer in Alpharetta; and one just like it (w/FL tags) was at the Canton cruise night Saturday. They aren't as common as other colors, but not that uncommon if you know where to look. It's not just any light blue metallic, but Ferrari's shades of light blue metallic really complement the car; they're much nicer than the light blue you'd see on a Buick :wink: