Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chi Town Hustler Funny Car (the new one)

Hawk312

This was a "quick" build, about 2 weeks altogether, which is lightning fast for me. I pretty much built this straight from the box with no major modifications, just some added detail. All the good things you hear about this kit are true. The fit on all the pieces is amazing, by far the best engineered kit I have built, Revell or otherwise. The only problem I had was on the hinges for the body. For some reason, the body would not clear the rear tire in the up position, so I had to modify the hinges. I haven`t heard of anyone else having this problem so I am assuming it was something I did wrong. The finished product us striking compared to my other models, and I`m not sure if it is the accuracy of the kit or the color scheme that puts it over the top.

For the body, I used krylon white primer, tamiya mica red, duplicolor red metalcast for the candy effect(need to be careful with this stuff!!), and about 5-7 coats of duplicolor clear. This combination gave it a deep candy apple red color, and I couldn`t be happier with it. I know it is not accurate to have it all rubbed out and polished like this, but I like it this way and I am unrepentant about it. :P The braided line is detail master .035" line. The parachute cables are cat 5 wires wrapped in masking tape and then painted silver.

back.jpg

front.jpg

side.jpg

back2.jpg

top.jpg

frontright.jpg

I've been staring at this for well over an hour. I just cannot get over that paint. I thought I painted my Pop's car well.

That is such a sweet color.

Please make that recipe available to the avaerage and not so average builder again please.

So phenomenal..........

Bob

Wow! Thanks guys for all the complements. Coming from this bunch, it really means alot! :( I`ve seen some of your builds!

I need to stress that I think Revell really knocked it out of the park with this kit. All proportions just seem "right", and the decals are some of the best I`ve seen. I think this kit is as significant and ground breaking as the `69 Z/28 kit that was released in the early 90`s. It makes me wish that Revell would take all their past funny car kits and re-release them as a new tool.

I was actually a little reluctant to post it because of the finish. But since there was a request, I`ll post my entire technique. I need to let everyone know that the color is just a shade darker in person. Not much darker, but it is just a bit darker.

I started off with the krylon white primer. Pretty straight forward here. A little sanding with 600 grit and I sprayed it with 4-5 coats of Tamiya TS 39 Mica Red, about 10 minutes between each coat. The important thing is to get complete coverage. I let it dry for about 3-4 days. Then I sprayed about 3 coats of of the Duplicolor Red Metalcast spray (available at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts), which is a clear red spray. About 10 minutes between each coat here as well. After the 3 coats of the Metalcast, I waited 10 minutes and started spraying the clear Duplicolor. I put on about 5-7 coats since I knew I would be wetsanding and buffing it out. After about a week of drying, I sanded with 2000 grit, followed by a rub down with 3M rubbing compound, followed by several rub downs with meguires swirl and scratch remover. I used Tamiya "finish" compound for the final rub down, and I lost track of how many times I used that. Anyway, that`s all there is too it. :(

Thanks again everyone. Here is closer shot of it:

back3.jpg

Edited by Hawk312

Thanks again everyone! I definitely recommend this kit to anyone who is considering it.

Beautiful! As usual, your paint is on a whole 'nother level!

Now how about a few shots with the body down?

Sorry Harry. From the beginning, I built this one as a top up display only. I actually applied some of the final details while it was sitting on the display with the body up, and I am not sure I want to risk dropping the top on this one.

Maybe I will just have to build another one with the body down. :lol:

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate it!

How did you do the bumpers? And, did you paint them before or after shooting the clear?

Actually, I did them very last, even after rubbing it out. I masked them off, sprayed a quick shot of clear, then a quick shot of aluminum metalizer, and finished it with a coat of sealer. I wanted to clear over them, but I was worried with how the metalizer might react to that.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to my locaL Auto Zone man what a selection of Duplicolor paint. What Number was that red metalcast, there's about 8 to choose. Dodge, Ford, Toyota, G.M. and the list goes on. Any help would be great.

Mine says "MC200 Red Adonize". It is tricky to work with. If you are going to use it, I would suggest allowing the Metalcast to dry several days at least before trying clear. I`m working with the purple Metalcast for my current project. Over Bahama Blue (also duplicolor), it makes a killer blue/purple candy color.

Mine says "MC200 Red Adonize". It is tricky to work with. If you are going to use it, I would suggest allowing the Metalcast to dry several days at least before trying clear. I`m working with the purple Metalcast for my current project. Over Bahama Blue (also duplicolor), it makes a killer blue/purple candy color.

Thanks David, I will test it out on some scrap I have all ready painted with the Tamiya it has been drying for a week.

This one looks very good! I must get this kit someday, and it's very great that Revell is releasing Funny Car models... Your paintjob looks really good, and decals are very nicely in place. That engine detailing is also very nice, and that work with it all the way looks very good. I can never build model that fast, you have done it and done it very nicely, that's very great! Nice job with it, keep on the good work! B)