Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heli-Hemi 68 Super Stock Dart...Complete!

• 1 month later...

I've gotten back on this one as I only have about a month to finish it up so I can take it along with me to Atlanta. Not much to update but it is center stage on the workbench again so the updates should be rolling along now until completion.

I was able to get the wheelie bars built and installed. That's pretty much it for the moment but there will be more to come shortly.

DSC08030-vi.jpg

DSC08031-vi.jpg

DSC08032-vi.jpg

Wayne... Very nice. that fuel tank in the trunk look great! Where did those rear tires come from. they are very nice looking.

Thanks for the comments. The slicks came from...............the parts drawer. Unfortunately, sometimes I have collected parts from so far back that I can't remember where they come from.

I use a 240 grit adhesive backed sandpaper formed around a wooden block to do most of my tire sanding.

Looking real nice Wayne!!!

When we were at the US Nationals, there were a bunch of S/S Darts cruising around, but I don't remember seeing this one there.

John didn't attend this year. I'm not sure why. Nothing was said on any racing sites.

Edited by 1320wayne

Well, it's been about a month since my last update so here it goes.

I took a parts box seat and painted it up and added it to the interior along with getting the extinguisher painted.

DSC07903-vi.jpg

From there I added more detail to the engine. The distributer is one of the best created from Scale Modeling by Chris. The plug boots are actually painted solder drilled out to accept the plug wires. The Hemi decals come from one of the new goodies sheets from Slixx. The aluminum pulleys are from Detail Master. The engine is just set in place at the moment. Everything is starting to come along at a quicker pace.

DSC07906-vi.jpg

DSC07907-vi.jpg

DSC07909-vi.jpg

Wayne man, I totally dig your motor in that badboy!!!! AWESOME!!!! Sixx

Here's a bit more. Finished the working hinges for the trunk earlier today. The pictures aren't all that clear as I took them really quick this evening after getting home from work. I've got to get some clearer shots in the morning. Everything came out good. The hinge action works well considering the trunk stays open on it's own with no prop needed. Now that this last bit of scratchbuilding is done maybe I can get to more painting, detailing and assembly.

DSC08041-vi.jpg

DSC08042-vi.jpg

DSC08043-vi.jpg

Wayne, if you have the intake from the Oldsmobile pro stock kit that may work better on the Hemi as far as port spacing goes for the intake manifold. that intake you have would work better for a Chevy or even a big-block Chrysler because of it's side by side intake runners.

Great looking model, Here is an article from the Hemi Challenge this year at Indy. Notice intake runners and also carbs. The carbs are offset from center not much but still offset.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/raceresults/2011/xiii_9-hemichallenge-1.html

• 2 weeks later...

O.K., so with two weeks until Atlanta I've cut it close enough to get this one finished. So here we go with the final push. I got the inside of the trunk area painted with flat black (no picture) and now it's time to turn my attention back to the engine bay.

The carbs. are added along with the fuel fittings and line from the carbs. And, before anyone freaks out about the detail, I realize that the type of car that I am building would have a much more intricate fuel delivery system running in it but due to limited research data and time issues I am detailing this as simplified as possible. I have many more of these modern Super Stocks to come and the next one will be as accurate as possible. I used RB Motion fittings with Tamiya clear blue and red. More to come in the coming days.

DSC08324-vi.jpg

DSC08325-vi.jpg

DSC08326-vi.jpg

DSC08327-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne