Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Mod How Too?

John Pol

Would like to build a couple Pro Mods. Is there any good chassic shots and motor shots on the internet? I would love to do a 69 Nova and a 63 Chevy2 wagon. Do you have to exstend the front fenders and that on both of them. If you know any info that would help that would be great. Or any good sites for this info that would help to.

John Pol

Google is your friend

PromodChassis1.jpg?t=1230573061

PromodChassis2.jpg?t=1230573188

PromodChassis3.jpg?t=1230573272

PromodChassis4.jpg?t=1230573361

Granted this is listed as a Pro Mod chassis it looks more like a sportsman car as it will require a funny car cage and a few other things but this should get you started. I just did a Google search and pages and pages of shots and chassis builders pages. Good luck...

As DoubleD says, extending the front fenders mainly depends on the era of Pro-Mod racing you are gonna build, the earlier cars didn't run the extended nose, example : the Revell Pro-Sportsman (same thing as the Pro-Mod) models (the SoffSeal '57 Chevy,Camaro Junction/Custom Autosound '55 Chevy,Christine '58 Plymouth & the JukeBox Ford '55 Ford) dodn't have the long nose. Also as stated Wayne's site has GREAT pics of car bodies,chassis & engine set-ups,so really it's all up to you. Good luck in your build & have fun building it!

I am actually in the process of converting my pro mod research album into multiple albums to make it easier for folks to navigate through all of the pictures. The link above still works but slowly that album will be disolved as I transfer those pictures into seperate albums designated for specific parts of pro mods. Here is the link to all of those albums that have already been started.

And as Dave stated above, it all depends on what era pro mod/top sportsman style car you are planning on building as to how far you go with the body work changes, and that's only if you want to be as detail specific as possible. How you do it is all up to you.

http://public.fotki.com/1320wayne/model_research-1/pro-mod-research/

Been trying to upload one photo as a trial, not working. Need to work on it some more when I have more time.

If anyone would like to host some chassis photos, I have some chassis pics with no body work that might help in building a chassis. With motor and trans

Terry

Edited by tbusch

Hey Mike, great minds DO think alike..... :blink: B)

I have those same 5 pics saved in my reference folder....not sure I stole/borrowed them off you. B) I just copied them from the net.

That is not a problem with me Greg that is why i take the photos.

dave, just for the record (and by no means wanting to step on any toes here ) the psi blower shown is a screw blower not a roots. psi does make a roots blower. a few other cool things to note would be the forward attitude of the blower on the manifold and the extreme overdrive relationship in the blower drive pulleys. the ADRL alows 70 percent overdrive on a roots type, 128 percent on a psi screw and only 60 percent on a whipple. the NHRA prohibits all screw blowers. hope this helps.

John, your best bet for a first try is to build one of the top sportsman kits,They are adaptable to lots of other cars with very little effort and are a great way to "get your feet wet" easy enough to add some detail too and only require a little modification to the front cover (engine) to change to a blower setup if thats how you want to go. Both Tyrone and myself have used thes kit as the basis for quite a few of our builds and once you are familiar with them you'll be modifying them yourself pretty quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a bit off topic but... I went to my first NHRA race a couple of months ago. I didn't know sh*t from shinola while I was there. I remember thinking, why don't we see more of these Pro Mods? I thought they were the coolest looking vehicles there. I personally wish they'd replace the Pro Stock Motorcycles with Pro Mods. Am I alone in wanting to see them more?

If you are looking for a How TO on building customs Chassis Robert (Thumper86) has a great Chassis 101 How to... It will give you the basics and you can continue to expand on what he has provided.

And really use any Reference Pics anyone provides to really help you with your builds.