Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rebuilder - Take Three FINISHED!

looks good so far Tim.

I always look forward to seeing your builds. It's amazing the details you put into your plastic.

(now hopefully you won't write me a ticket when I'm in your neck of the woods)

I draw many ideas from your trucks and website.

Jerry

What's goin' on...

Tim

When I first saw this project for some reason I thought you'd paint this flat brown weathered w/ a black chassis. I have no clue where I got this impression??? Seeing it painted like this really threw me off LOL. That's going to look really cool when your done. I just may build a 289. I think that w/ single bulb headlights a tandem axle 28 ft rib side pup would make for an intersting project.

Scott

I had thought about brown. Single headlights would have been perfect, but I didn't have any to use.

Tim

What's goin' on...

Tim

When I first saw this project for some reason I thought you'd paint this flat brown weathered w/ a black chassis. I have no clue where I got this impression??? Seeing it painted like this really threw me off LOL. That's going to look really cool when your done. I just may build a 289. I think that w/ single bulb headlights a tandem axle 28 ft rib side pup would make for an intersting project.

Tim,

This looks great. Your choice of colours well suits the Pete. Scott's tip about the headlights for the Ford is a very good idea. I bought 3 car kits some time ago for the same reason. The headlights are really superb and look the part.

Look forward to the finished photo's.

Best Wishes

I just can't find the car kits...

Tim,

This looks great. Your choice of colours well suits the Pete. Scott's tip about the headlights for the Ford is a very good idea. I bought 3 car kits some time ago for the same reason. The headlights are really superb and look the part.

Look forward to the finished photo's.

Best Wishes

UPDATE! pics at end

This poor Peterbilt 359.. I bought it in August of 1999 as an "eBay built-up." It was originally all blue and in a tandem axle configuration with a broken frame. I cut off the damaged rear suspension and converted it to a single axle making it a "289" instead of a 359. I also repainted it dark green. In 2001 I decided to rebuild it again, this time adding gold and black stripes and some resin tool cabinets.

Over the last few years the truck suffered neglect and as time went on I robbed parts from it and it ended up on the bottom shelf out of view.

Last week I wanted a simple project, so I decided to rebuild this ol' Pete again. I tore the truck down as far as I could go and stripped the paint off. Then reworked some body work flaws, sanded some panel seams, filled some holes, added the outer fender lip using Evergreen round rod, cut off the back of fender step and repositioned it farther up the fender as it should be (both AMT and Revell put the step at the bottom when it should be higher up).

Here she is all stripped down and ready for primer.

rebuild28972207.jpg

Here's the cab, I added the air conditioner hoses and the cover plate

rebuild289boc72207.jpg

Here is the hood after modifying the fenders

rebuild289hood72207.jpg

Here the PB is in primer

rebuilt289primed72307.jpg

I decided to go with a fleet-look and found the perfect paint scheme on the 1970 Peterbilt 288 spec-sheet

from the PB data book (copies can be found of the spec sheets in Warren Johnson's book).

rebuild289paintedr72307.jpg

The colors are cream beige, Victory red for the frame and flat black for the top of the hood and cab cowl.

The wheels are the only fresh-kit items, I grabbed these from an AMT ALF fire truck kit.

Most everything else is from the original model.

It is almost done, needing mirror braces, a CB antenna and Cal-Trans number on the door.

I wanted to take advantage of the sunshine for the photos.

rebuild289.jpg

rebuild289_right.jpg

rebuild289_front.jpg

rebuild289_cabrear.jpg

rebuild289_flats.jpg

I'd like to find my photos of this in the "before" stage, but can't seem to locate one.

Thanks for all the comments!

Tim

Tim,

This looks great, the Pete looks right at home in the sunshine with the doubles. Little Window 359s are one of my all time favourites.

For the car headlights check the AMT ERTL Dick Tracy Ford kit 6107:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMT-DICK-TRACY-COUPE-F...VQQcmdZViewItem

Or the Heller Citroen 15CV kit 80763

http://cgi.ebay.com/CITROEN-15CV-1-24-scal...VQQcmdZViewItem

Or the AMT ERTL Lincoln gangbusters kit 38167

http://cgi.ebay.com/ERTL-AMT-1-25-1928-LIN...VQQcmdZViewItem

The headlights from the Lincoln are big as they were in the 1920s I used these on my Pete 380 and also the windscreen wipers from the Citroen.

I will build the 3 cars eventually but as wrecks that have stood in the weeds for the last 30 years with parts missing. All needing total restoration and forming the load for the AMT Haul away trailer.

Hope this helps.

The grille is the kit grille. The original T500 kit had the 2 bar grille (used 1967-1969). I only added the panel seam between the top crown and the side piece, and sanded the sides to eliminate the molded in distortion to the sides. I then covered the crown/sides with Bare Metal Foil.

Tim

What's goin' on...

Tim.

HOW"D YOU PERFECT A TWO BAR GRILL????

Tim: I would like to know, how big that highway board is you made and what you made it out of. Just curious. I would like to build something similar to that, so I could take better pictures by having that to display them on. i would like to add some background material like a guardrail and maybe some scenic background such as trees and bushes. Kind of like a diorama. Again: another superb build on your part! B) Thanks!

Tim,

I'm appear to be a little slow on the uptake here, but a very nice build. Or rebuild as the case may be!

Question: your AC hoses, what gauge wire did you use? What about the cover? I'm planning on putting an AC unit on top of my Ford LN8000, and I like this detail and I'd like to add it.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

I have no idea what gauge wire I used, I got the wire from a box of computer "guts" that a computer tech gave me.

Tim

Tim,

I'm appear to be a little slow on the uptake here, but a very nice build. Or rebuild as the case may be!

Question: your AC hoses, what gauge wire did you use? What about the cover? I'm planning on putting an AC unit on top of my Ford LN8000, and I like this detail and I'd like to add it.

Thanks in advance.