Model Cars Magazine Forum

WOW,,,,,,,,,,Is all I can say .

I will say...

It's a damned fine looking model. And the fact that it's based on an R&R casting? Takes a little work to get one of those looking good, much less great, generally speaking.

If the guy can get that much for it, more power to him. And if the buyer considers it money well spent, who am I to complain? Me? If I had that much I think I'd put it toward a 1:1 version.

Thats shocking but then again some people think what my customers have in 1:1 stuff is insane, it's a lot of money but if you broke it down to hours and labor it isnt as impressive. At least this "pro builder" has some legit skill, seen a LOT of so called pro's that are far from impressive.

I never want to take my plastic that seriously, this stuff is a fun break for me and I like it that way.

If I may first gripe, a $1500 model I'd buy would at least never have chrome-plated headlight lenses or red-painted taillights. Those would all be clear material with chome reflector areas beneath the lenses.

But consider the flip side, how much do any of us charge per hour for doing what could be described as quality work on anything? $20? $35? By way of example, (when I used to track the hours I had in a model) the 911 woody in my avatar photo has about 100 hours in it. Multiply that by $20 per hour, and it's a $2000 model. It is not for sale, of course, but I could be commissioned to duplicate it, and I might be able to put in an interior this time and still get it in under 100 hours. Except I have other things to do and such a project would eat into my time..... so if a person desperately wants me to duplicate it, do you see how the price goes up in order to make it worth my while. Could another modeler do as good of a job in less time? Maybe, but for how much of a lesser price before he or she ends up working at what would end up to be a minimum wage?

It burns down to supply & demand, along what the sheer quality of the build is. If you want good work and don't want to do it yourself, you'll have to pay what you can afford, or you won't get it. In my view, too many modelers are placing way too low of a value on really good quality work.

Edited by Russell C

If you got paid $38 an hour and worked a 40 hour week it would be $1,500. Now of course, I wouldn't pay that kind of money, but someone whom can't build their own, and has emotional attachment to the subject, will spend. Provided they have the means without sacrifice.

Honestly, how fast can a build of that quality be completed? That's the missing piece of the price debate.....

Thats shocking but then again some people think what my customers have in 1:1 stuff is insane, it's a lot of money but if you broke it down to hours and labor it isnt as impressive. At least this "pro builder" has some legit skill, seen a LOT of so called pro's that are far from impressive.

I never want to take my plastic that seriously, this stuff is a fun break for me and I like it that way.

Here here James!! I see some stuff on ebay advertised as "pro built" that just makes me want to bust out laughing! I also agree about not taking things so seriously. That's why I love this hobby. You do what ever you want & nobody dictates what you do. At least I don't worry about it. My builds aren't going to a show or contest or anywhere else except my shelf, so I build them for me. I'll let someone else sell them off & see if they can make a buck when I'm gone. :) Steve

If I may first gripe, a $1500 model I'd buy would at least never have chrome-plated headlight lenses or red-painted taillights. Those would all be clear material with chome reflector areas beneath the lenses.

But consider the flip side, how much do any of us charge per hour for doing what could be described as quality work on anything? $20? $35? By way of example, (when I used to track the hours I had in a model) the 911 woody in my avatar photo has about 100 hours in it. Multiply that by $20 per hour, and it's a $2000 model. It is not for sale, of course, but I could be commissioned to duplicate it, and I might be able to put in an interior this time and still get it in under 100 hours. Except I have other things to do and such a project would eat into my time..... so if a person desperately wants me to duplicate it, do you see how the price goes up in order to make it worth my while. Could another modeler do as good of a job in less time? Maybe, but for how much of a lesser price before he or she ends up working at what would end up to be a minimum wage?

It burns down to supply & demand, along what the sheer quality of the build is. If you want good work and don't want to do it yourself, you'll have to pay what you can afford, or you won't get it. In my view, too many modelers are placing way too low of a value on really good quality work.

We have to take into consideration subject matter also. A rarer kit or a difficult to build,(nicely at least) resin, such as this wagon, will always bring more money than a more contemporary kit. I see people trying to sell very nicely built currently available kits all of the time that can barely recoup the price of the kit if that. So although we'd all like to fancy ourselves "artists", I believe it's more about how "unusual" the subject is rather than how skillfully it was done. Although skill is obviously part of the equation. Steve

Is it just me but the tail lights look too large

LOL!!! And we're back on-topic!

My fellow car club members are a bit put-off about the prices my shop charges for work they feel is too expensive. These are people whom (for the most part…) can do it themselves and think it's too much to pay. Same story, different situation. When we re-built our house in 2010 I bought a table saw instead of paying someone to cut wood. But I paid a lot of money for cement work, which I can't do, and was VERY expensive.

When you want, and you can't do, and are willing to pay……you get.

Edited by FASTBACK340

If you got paid $38 an hour and worked a 40 hour week it would be $1,500.

Yes, but that doesn't account for materials. An R&R kit goes for $40-60 as starters. There is that custom wood work and other materials. Figure maybe $100-200 in costs

My fellow car club members are a bit put-off about the prices my shop charges for work they feel is too expensive. These are people whom (for the most part…) can do it themselves and think it's too much to pay. Same story, different situation. When we re-built our house in 2010 I bought a table saw instead of paying someone to cut wood. But I paid a lot of money for cement work, which I can't do, and was VERY expensive.

When you want, and you can't do, and are willing to pay……you get.

Everyone gripes about the cost of buying professional work. But same folks will defend their own incomes! Imagine what a model car build would cost at Paul's shop rate!

Everyone gripes about the cost of buying professional work. But same folks will defend their own incomes! Imagine what a model car build would cost at Paul's shop rate!

You hit it Tom. It's the same phenomena when your selling and buying - a buyer is like, what? No way I'd pay that much. Seller? What? You want it for free?

Kind of like driving - everybody slower is an idiot, everybody faster is a maniac.

I said it before, $1500 is a lot for some, not so much for others. Take a drive on the Nice side of town - do you see houses that quadruple yours? Two, three, maybe four luxury cars in the driveway? Yeah, there are actually rich people out there folks.

I hope that my post wasn't taking away from how awesome the build was. And I did talk with my local hobby shop and private, commissioned builds do fetch roughly that ball park.

But if you look at the bidding history, it seems fishy, to me anyways.

Take for example now, click on the link, another auction is going with the same odd feverish bid history days before the auction end. Started at ~$6 and now in a matter of a day its ~$390.

The roof rack is not correct for a '67. The rear pillars on '65 - '68 full-size Ford wagons had built in air deflectors. So there is no need for the air deflector on the rear of the luggage rack. This was a feature offer on the deluxe luggage racks after '68. The price and the incorrectness at this price, are two things that don't sit right with me.

Scott

A model, or for that matter anything, is worth what people will pay for it. It's worth $1500 because there was someone was willing to pay that for it. He has sold a lot of other high dollar items if you look at his history.

The most I ever got for one of my models on ebay was 300 bucks, and that was for a 66 Mustang with opening doors and trunk and fully detailed engine. That was worth 300 bucks because that's all someone was willing to pay for it.

I have to say he sure does some nice work.

Jeff

>But if you look at the bidding history, it seems fishy, to me anyways.

ok in all your wisdom, exactly WHY does it "seem fishy" to you? because there is nothing fishy about it at all...it started low and went high thanks to four bidders who were willing to throw down serious money.

jb

>But if you look at the bidding history, it seems fishy, to me anyways.

ok in all your wisdom, exactly WHY does it "seem fishy" to you? because there is nothing fishy about it at all...it started low and went high thanks to four bidders who were willing to throw down serious money.

jb

Normal feverish bids happens closer to ending day and not days prior to auction end. To say that these ppl are new to auctions and don't know how to bid is off as the info on successful bidding is out there and eBay has been out since 96' I think. At least that's when I got on it. So plenty of time has passed for ppl to get good at bids.

Plus if you look at the bidders rank, they've been around and know what they are doing.

I usually abandon these kinds of auctions straight away.

And I'm glad you asked as I hope my logic helps others who frequent eBay.

Edited by aurfalien

>And I'm glad you asked as I hope my logic helps others who frequent eBay

huh? your logic points squarely at the auction and all the bids being on the up and up.

the winner bid three days before the auction end. most of the others followed him, and most of them bid on the last day and mostly the last hour of the auction. all were separate IDs bidding with only a couple of exceptions so there weren't a slew of bids 5$ apart by one bidder. there was a last minute push by two bidders but the winner obviously bid something like 2000$ so his bid held until the end.

there is nothing fishy there; that's how serious people play this ebay game when they want to win something and have the money to not diddle around.

jb

Edited by jbwelda