Model Cars Magazine Forum

WOW,,,,,,,,,,Is all I can say .

>And I'm glad you asked as I hope my logic helps others who frequent eBay

huh? your logic points squarely at the auction and all the bids being on the up and up.

the winner bid three days before the auction end. most of the others followed him, and most of them bid on the last day and mostly the last hour of the auction. all were separate IDs bidding with only a couple of exceptions so there weren't a slew of bids 5$ apart by one bidder. there was a last minute push by two bidders but the winner obviously bid something like 2000$ so his bid held until the end.

there is nothing fishy there; that's how serious people play this ebay game when they want to win something and have the money to not diddle around.

jb

That's basically how I do it. If it's something I really want, I place one bid. The absolute most that I'm willing to pay. I'll let everybody else fight it out. If somebody wants it more than I do, They'll out bid me, & I'll move on to the next thing. Steve

That's basically how I do it. If it's something I really want, I place one bid. The absolute most that I'm willing to pay.

Same here but I do it at that very last few seconds. I have a snipe service that I've used for years. No reason to have my bid on display for others to bid against.

Same here but I do it at that very last few seconds. I have a snipe service that I've used for years. No reason to have my bid on display for others to bid against.

I really don't care. Besides, if your high bid is $100.00 & bidding is at $25.00 they don't know your high bid until they hit the $100.00. If they bid $100.01, they can have it. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

The amount of the highest bid is not on display. All that is on display is the fact that someone has bid more than the second highest bid.

That's what people don't seem to understand about Evil-Bay - items don't sell for the highest bid, they sell for one increment more than the second highest bid.

Which is why complaining "man, they only beat me by 50 cents" is pointless, wrong and falling into their trap. You see you were second highest and you think "just another dollar and it would have been mine. Next time i'll bid just that bit higher" and you do, but you still don't "win" because unknown to you in reality the "winner" bid $50 more than you did.

And I can't see the point in sniping. Decide the maximum you want to pay, bid that amount and then wait and see if you were highest. If you are, you'll "win" whether you bid 5 seconds after the auction starts or 5 seconds before it finishes.

I find it very satisfying when I "win" an auction for which I placed a bid "early" to look at the bid history and find that I beat one or more snipers.

Edited by zenrat

I really don't care. Besides, if your high bid is $100.00 & bidding is at $25.00 they don't know your high bid until they hit the $100.00. If they bid $100.01, they can have it. Steve

I've looked at bidding results where some guy bid over and over at $5 increments to find the high bidders maximum. (I've also seen them do this to find the reserve). My premise is that my bid isn't siting there for them to work against.

For instance, a guy who would have decided is top bid was $100, and then did the incremental bid thing, discovered my top bid was $115, would suddenly change is mind and go to $120. If I hadn't bid, he would've put in his $100 and walked away. With my bid of $120 swooping in with 6 seconds left, he'd never have a chance to react. And I would win the auction for $105, the next increment over $100. So I save money by sniping.

And even with sniping, I only win a fraction of the time. There is often someone crazier than me bidding on the same items!

I've looked at bidding results where some guy bid over and over at $5 increments to find the high bidders maximum. (I've also seen them do this to find the reserve). My premise is that my bid isn't siting there for them to work against.

For instance, a guy who would have decided is top bid was $100, and then did the incremental bid thing, discovered my top bid was $115, would suddenly change is mind and go to $120. If I hadn't bid, he would've put in his $100 and walked away. With my bid of $120 swooping in with 6 seconds left, he'd never have a chance to react. And I would win the auction for $105, the next increment over $100. So I save money by sniping.

And even with sniping, I only win a fraction of the time. There is often someone crazier than me bidding on the same items!

My point is, If I'm only willing to pay $100.00 for an item, it really doesn't matter if someone is creeping up on me in $5.00 increments, I'm only willing to pay $100.00 period. I agree completely with Fred. If I bid $100.00 on an item early, I can forget about it until the auction is done. Then, if I lost, no big deal. If I win great! There have been many times I have bid $200.00 for an item I really wanted & then won it for $80.00. Just an added bonus in my opinion. I've also had "swoopers" come in on me at the last moment many times to no avail. It really doesn't matter any way. If you're not willing to pay what I will. it doesn't matter how you bid. Steve

Mr. Hettick's only real competition on ebay. I believe he also did this, which went into the $700-ish range IIRC.

Screenshot2011-11-05at101248AM_zps08df1b

Screenshot2011-11-05at101414AM_zpsb35b44

Screenshot2011-11-05at101306AM_zpsf817ea

This takes a style, like taking plain resin wagons and fabricating all the little details to make them into nice Squire replicas which are hot in the market right now. And you have to have enough patience to build like that for someone other than yourself, which, alas, I don't. I used to, but that's another story. I'm happy for the seller, because nothing about these successes happened overnight.

My point is, If I'm only willing to pay $100.00 for an item, it really doesn't matter if someone is creeping up on me in $5.00 increments, I'm only willing to pay $100.00 period. I agree completely with Fred. If I bid $100.00 on an item early, I can forget about it until the auction is done. Then, if I lost, no big deal. If I win great! There have been many times I have bid $200.00 for an item I really wanted & then won it for $80.00. Just an added bonus in my opinion. I've also had "swoopers" come in on me at the last moment many times to no avail. It really doesn't matter any way. If you're not willing to pay what I will. it doesn't matter how you bid. Steve

In your example Tom the other guys top bid was $120. He was just kidding himself it was $100.

My method makes me susceptible to sellers shill bidding by increment to find out my top bid and then withdrawing the last bid so I pay top dollar. However I think this has maybe happened once in the 10 plus years i've been doing this. Sniping would stop that but I am not telling a sniping service my password.

What do they charge you?

I'm surprised Evil-Bay themselves haven't developed their own sniping service - for a premium fee of course.

As a (not very regular) seller I really hate snipers. I like people to bid as early as possible so I can relax and know the item has sold.

It would be nice, once an auction has ended, to know what the "winning" bidders bid was in order to get an idea of what they would have gone to.

I wonder if either of the wagons featured above will be appearing in any competitions?

Edited by zenrat

it *has* occurred to others here how to absolutely win every auction you want, right?

namely make a bid so outrageous no one is going to even approach it. sure you are probably going to pay more for the item than you probably hoped to. but that wasn't the promise...the promise was that you would win the auction. and win you will.

see if money is no object than the world is your oyster, at least as far as material stuff goes. easy come easy go...and meanwhile think of all the kool stuff you can have. some in this world are blessed to be in exactly that position and if you are one of them, then ebay is easy.

for the rest of us though, we have to be able to walk away satisified that maybe we made that guy pay way more than he should have, but that's about the only satisfaction you will be able to get from it unless you get lucky. and getting lucky still happens.

I just doubt there are many if any "shill" bidders out there willing to try to jack up prices due to the security that exists on ebay. cancelling bids is kept track of and if there are complaints they (ebay) seem to take them seriously. at least in my experience. there are a lot of reasons to not like or be resentful of ebay, but imo cheating is not one of them. more their draconian attempts to curtail cheating at this point.

jb

All the contests I go to require the entrant to sign a statement that they built the model themselves.

Guys have tried to pull that stuff in the past. Signing a statement doesn't stop a cheater since they have no morals to begin with. In fact a name builder once outed a guy who approached him to build a model for the buyer to compete with at GSL. But those would be hollow victories, cheating for a plaque! It would be a lot harder these days with the Internet, since excellent models get coverage on boards and photo albums. And those wagons are well known enough that someone would recognize them at a contest!

Edited by Tom Geiger

anyone who would enter someone else's build as their own would have to be out of their minds, on several fronts.

One better .... Having a buddy show up at the shop door sputtering and swearing at the top of his lungs . Turns out a model car that I had built and later sold was prominently displayed in a magazine at an NNL event ..... Under someone else's name .

My buddy saw it and went ballistic ! I calmed him down , sent an email to the editor , informing him of the situation , he then went ballistic ! What a can of worms this turned out to be .

How dumb can you really be ? Guess there are no limitations to it ....

jb

Guys have tried to pull that stuff in the past. Signing a statement doesn't stop a cheater since they have no morals to begin with. In fact a name builder once outed a guy who approached him to build a model for the buyer to compete with at GSL. But those would be hollow victories, cheating for a plaque!

I can't imagine why anyone would even do that. An ill-gotten plaque would be like a badge of shame.

• 2 weeks later...