Model Cars Magazine Forum

Windshield tinting A LA Steve Milberry *TAKE 2*

ismaelg

Hello,

First a DISCLAIMER: This is my first attempt at this.

Steve is in my list of favorite modelers I admire. His Beaumont is one of my favorites. Something I REALLY like from his creations is the top of the windshield tint. He made a phototutorial he has posted more than once.

Well, here is my plunge into the unknown.

DSCF2989b.jpg

DSCF2998b.jpg

DSCF2997b.jpg

I think it came a tad wider than I wanted, but it is either keep it or strip it all and forget about it. What do you think? Keep it or lose it?

Thanks,

Looks good, though I think it needs to be about half that width. Once you've done this a couple times it gets easier. I have a dedicated fineline airbrush that makes it fairly easy to do the job. I can't remember what Steve uses; I use Testors candy blue and candy green (more blue than green) transferred and applied lightly and when it's dry I polish out the overspray.

Hello again,

I stripped it completely and started all over again. I aimed at half the size of the original one. I checked some 1:1 reference pics and it seems to be roughly the right size.

DSCF3004b.jpg

The windshield is not permanently installed. Just taped in place. It should go up 1 or 2 mm more.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ahhhhh! That looks good now Ismael! 8) The other one wasn't bad...........maybe just a bit too low. I'm guessing you used acrylic paints?

Thanks Bill. Yes that is Tamiya Royal blue acrylic. It is easy to remove and the thinner will not harm the clear plastic.

Not that I've stripped it 5 times already :)

Thanks,

Izzy, notice that the bottom of the tint band looks fuzzy,,,kinds making the glass look foggy where it fades out,,,,If you clear the inside of the window and polish it out ,,,being careful not to go through the clearcoat,,,just like painting a body,,,it will be perfectly clear without the "foggy" effect.

,,,You'll be glad you did it,,,makes the world of difference.

AHHHHRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! I just superglued it in place a few minutes ago :cry:

Airbrushing from the inside while attached sounds risky....... but i'll think about it

Thanks,

You can also try Gunze Sangyo H96-Smoke Blue, which I think it's the perfect match for that Windshield blue-green tint.

Simon

Looks good, though I think it needs to be about half that width. Once you've done this a couple times it gets easier. I have a dedicated fineline airbrush that makes it fairly easy to do the job. I can't remember what Steve uses; I use Testors candy blue and candy green (more blue than green) transferred and applied lightly and when it's dry I polish out the overspray.