Model Cars Magazine Forum

My shot at a Prostar

thanks guys. lawn mowing took priority over model time this evening, but I have 1/2 the glass in it [vent windows and windshield], painted the sleeper windows with tint last night, have to paint the tail lamps in red [did a silver base coat] and need to BMF the bezels around the lights on the rear cab wall, I think after that, it's fit the cab to frame, and finish up the little details [mirrors and what not] then call it done.......stay tuned.......the end is near :D

photo_zps44f2af9e.jpg

Edited by tbill

thanks guys, much appreciated :)

Jim, door decals will be determined by how I do the trailer, still rolling ideas around on that, and thinking of how to incorporate some sort of logo, so time will tell on that.

well, I think tomorrow night is going to be the last bit of work to complete this build [as far as the truck itself is concerned], I have the entire cab together now, back wall is detailed and installed with all the fairing braces etc., got the tail lamps painted, exhaust crossover glued on finally, cab door handles BMF'd and painted, prostar door emblem decals on, wipers on, and got the lenses in the visor [man those are some tiny bits!] and decals on the hood.

So it looks like tomorrow is going to be final cab fit and glue to chassis, add mirrors and visor, and hope it all looks ok :D

then it will be trailer time, stay tuned, and thanks for following along.............

Dan, it's a great kit, only a few minor issues to deal with. you will enjoy building it.

i guess i should mention the following issues i did have, again, minor, but slightly frustrating just the same.

engine/radiator assembly......kind of odd the way it's done per instructions, rad. assm. just sort of is 'out there' and all that holds it together is the fan and turbo duct work, i think when i do another one, i will mount the motor in the chassis, then install the rad assm. another thing [if i remember correctly] the instructions say to install the front axle before engine install, as luck would have it, i didn't, and it made it way easier to get the engine/rad assm in place [allowed me to spread the frame to get it all in there] now i say this all, because the rad assm also makes part of the 'groove' that the hood hinges sit in [if you've followed Marshalls build, he had a bit of an issue here as well], so i don't know if it would be better to A, leave axle off until motor/trans is in, B next install axle, C put in radiator assm, D install turbo duct work. it went together ok, but there has to be a little bit better/more accurate way to glue it all in there so it all lines up proper the first time. [or maybe it was just me?]

cab mounts, i neglected to fit the floor portion to the cab mounts early on. the rear mounts have 'pins' that go into 'holes' in the floor section. the fronts have slots in the floor that go along with the tabs in the front mounts. i had issues here. i enlarged the slots in the floor, but no go, couldn't get there from here, so what i did ultimately was to trim the tabs off the front mounts to make a flat surface, i then set the cab onto the rear mounts and once they were in position the cab sat level.

i think the only other issue for me, is the hood hinges are quite sloppy, maybe i did them wrong?

any other input on this would be cool, as i know it's a popular truck as of late. hope this all helps out in one way or another.

Matt, the paint i used is testors one coat lacquer [inca gold] and the clear i used is made for automotive applications, but comes in a spray can. not sure if i mentioned the name of it in an earlier post or not, but if i didn't, i will post the name of it later on.

Matt, the clear coat I used is 'U-Pol' clear #1, I got it from the bodyshop that is part of the dealership I work for. I suspect though that testors clear will do the same job. I have found that after 3 coats of clear the shine starts to really develop, so I have been hitting everything with 5-7 coats, it really starts to 'pop' then.

Jeff, thanks, much appreciated :)