Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda

mrmike

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing other builds elsewhere of the '70 'Cuda with their "now you see it...now you don't" fender vents, I needed to do something a little different. My concern is with body filler shrinkage and how can I avoid that complication. My idea is to cut small strips of thin styrene to fill in the fender vents.

70Cuda22.jpg

70Cuda23.jpg

Then I sanded the strips flush with the surface of the fender and will give them a thin coat of putty. Afterwards, I will sand this area smooth and then primer and prep for paint.

70Cuda24.jpg

More to come...

I applied a thin coat of putty yesterday morning and sanded it smooth this afternoon.

70Cuda25.jpg

I added thin strips of styrene to help fill in the gaps on the front valance. I'll give this a thin coat of putty later to smooth it all over.

70Cuda26.jpg

70Cuda27.jpg

I also gave my Keith Marks decals a good coating of Microscale Decal Film.

More to come...

I love Saturday mornings. I can come down to my bench with a cup of coffee and work in peace and quiet. While I do like to listen to music while I am building, the quiet is soothing and I can concentrate on what needs to be done and overcome issues with a project. This morning I grabbed my sanding wand and started working on the front valance. The goal was to smooth out the transition from the valance to the fenders so I can use as little putty as possible on the joints.

70Cuda28.jpg

On the valance, there is a small groove that the AAR chin spoiler locates to and I was able to remove most of the groove with sanding and gentle reshaping of the valance. I need to sand again with a finer grit sanding wand and sanding films.

70Cuda29.jpg

70Cuda30.jpg

More to come...

Thanks guys!

I added a thin coat of putty to the front valance.

70Cuda31.jpg

I opened the spoiler mounting holes slightly and glued in some short pieces of round stock.

70Cuda32.jpg

On top, I added a thin coat of putty and will smooth all this out when it is completely dry.

70Cuda33.jpg

More to come...

I certainly hope so, Charlie! And, I am still modifying stuff!

I wanted the rear valance panel to look more realistic, so I started using a small round file on the exhaust tip openings. I'll replace the exhaust tips with tips made from aluminium tubing.

70Cuda34.jpg

70Cuda35.jpg

I started disassembling the chrome from the Hemi for a dip in the purple pond to remove the chrome plating.

70Cuda36.jpg

More to come...

I'm subscribing to this thread now. One of the guys in my model club just gave me his Revell AAR kit he hadn't built yet. Decals are in great shape, kit is completely intact and untouched (some parts floating around in the box but no big deal...), and once I acquire another '71 I think a more accurate AAR will be in order!

Well... as accurate as I can get with the Revell kits anyway... :lol:

Thanks guys! Keep watching!

I started fitting the hood this morning. In order to get the center rib lined up with the rib on the header panel, I had to sand quite a bit of material off the passenger side of the hood. This naturally left a bit of a gap on the drivers side. I added a strip of styrene to the edge of the hood to close the gap.

70Cuda37.jpg

Much better!

70Cuda38.jpg

70Cuda39.jpg

Bodywork is nearly complete and time to get it into a coat of primer. Then a coat of sealer primer and then...paint.

More to come...

....but now, you're hood pins are going to be off. :)

Yes, the hood pins are off and I am not really concerned about it! To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure if they were an option in 1970. I need to contact my Mopar expert and ask him about the hood pins or I may just sand them off altogether.

Yes, the hood pins are off and I am not really concerned about it! To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure if they were an option in 1970. I need to contact my Mopar expert and ask him about the hood pins or I may just sand them off altogether.

they where on those plymouth bodied cars if i can find some ref material i have the proof! :)

I have just heard from my Mopar expert and he says that the hood pins were standard equipment on the 1970 'Cuda models only. In 1971, they were optional on the Barracuda and Gran Coupe models. I guess I won't be sanding them off.

I have just heard from my Mopar expert and he says that the hood pins were standard equipment on the 1970 'Cuda models only. In 1971, they were optional on the Barracuda and Gran Coupe models. I guess I won't be sanding them off.

How many MCG photoetched sheets have you used in the past? Just pop 'em off and use 'em!

I keep several handy for just such an occasion. :P

they where on those plymouth bodied cars if i can find some ref material i have the proof! :huh:

No offense, but I'm pretty sure the OP isn't terribly concerned one way or the other and will build the model how he likes whether or not you've got "the proof" :P

The hood pins don't look "off" enough to worry about to me.....

I will say this...the hood pins are off slightly, but I am not worried about it at all! They are there and were standard equipment on the 1970 'Cuda so they will stay! Now, if gpugh1976 was trying to use a bit of sarcasm, then I will refer him to the top of the page and the rules for On The Bench. If he was trying to be funny, haha! Amusing! :)

I got the carbs, valve covers, and alternator out of the purple pond and prepped for paint. I also drilled holes in the valve covers for plug wires.

70Cuda40.jpg

Ever since I started this project, I have been wondering how I was going to cover the purple plastic without having to resort to multiple layers of primer and paint. I found the answer sitting on the shelf in my shed...Kilz Primer-Sealer-Stainblocker.

70Cuda41.jpg

I sprayed the rear valance with two light coats of Kilz and painted it with two light coats of Model Master Hemi Orange Lacquer 24 hours later. Great coverage and adhesion!

70Cuda42.jpg

More to come...