Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr GASSER 2012! Update: 7-25-12

Ira

GETTIN' ALL MOCKED-UP AGAIN!!!

The Base will allow me to adjust the position of the Car any way I want!

This looks pretty close to the Box Art Position...

DSCN6115G.jpg

What Next?

B)

Edited by Ira

A LITTLE OFF The TOP...

I found some other Roth Mr Gasser Drawings, and it looks like Mr Gasser originally had a pretty Flat Head and his Chevy was a Gasser!

So I cut about 3/8" off the top. Looks like he might need a Brain Transplant...

DSCN6126G.jpg

No time for a Brain Transplant, so I cut some plastic to cover the hole!

DSCN6130G.jpg

:D

I picked up a poorly built Mr. Gasser awhile ago with no idea what to do with it . I really like yours so far , especially the new tires !

Looking forward to the finish .

Thanks Bob!

This is my first Fink Model, It's a Fun Build... :)

Ira, I like the direction that you are taking "Mr Gasser" you have a real talent imagination when it comes to these kind of models.

For some reason Revell never quite interpolated Ed Roth's artwork into the models. They are all a bit on the crude side in some respects but in others they are marvels of die work. They are well engineered in respect to the actual figures though the cars lack a lot. Of the later production runs of the Roth monster kits that I've built there seems to be some if the same kits that are heavy on the flash and others that are really tight with minimal flash. I have had the pleasure of building a few of the original Roth kits (out of some pretty crusty boxes), even then there was some slight flash present. The only worse monster kits of the time period were the Hawk Weird-Oh's, they only slightly resemble Bill Campbell's artwork redefining crude, still a fun build though.

So what are you going to do with "Mr Gasser's" bottom end after the complete amputation of his butt and legs? Looking at one of my unbuilt "Mr Gasser" '57 Chevy bodies it looks like you might be able to turn Gasser's bottom end so that he is sitting instead of standing (as in stock form). The feet on the monsters were one of the better parts.

The thing that's different about building these types of models is that one's technical building skill doesn't have to be really good. BUT...one's painting skills need to be!

Ha ha...so much for my original statement! I think it's ultra cool that you are improving this kit! Outstanding! Can't wait to see how ya paint it!!!!

WHEEL WELLS...

The Front Wheel Wells were Too Big for the New Tires.

So, I Traced the Wheel Well shapes on to sheet plastic and Cut them out.

DSCN6133G.jpg

Then I glued them in place. It took some Cutting & Fitting to get the New Wheel Well Shape right...

DSCN6178G.jpg

:)

Ira,

Great work so far. Like the idea that you are working to match the our picture shows a roof. Are you planning to add that also.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

I think I'll go with a Convertable... B)

GOIN' CONVERTABLE!!!

I found a Convertable Boot in Revells 48 Ford that fit the Gasser with just a little trimming...

DSCN6143G.jpg

I am working with the windshield from an AMT 62 Corvette, but I will propbably try something else...

DSCN6153G.jpg

B)

Edited by Ira

HAIR!!!

I am using Squadron Putty to make some Hair.

DSCN6183G.jpg

I just sqeeze it from the tube and shape it with a #11 X-acto Blade. Don't use too much, it will melt plastic!

DSCN6184G.jpg

Looks a liitle too Clean-Cut for Gasser, so I made "Spikes", by squeezing putty right on his head and then pulling the tube back. I started at the back and worked my way forward.

DSCN6219G.jpg

Rear View...

DSCN6215G.jpg

That's a Good Start... :)