Model Cars Magazine Forum

'23 Ford 'T' Carny Wagon

gasser59

I like this, got a lot of good building tips and ideas from you. I was just wondering, you said you made the spindles from 1/16 and 1/8 aluminum tubing. Could you tell me how you joined the two pieces. I'm thinking super glue? I've tried to make spindles like that and they always seemed fragile. Ken

Thanks for the kind words Ken. Yes, the spindles can be flimsy and here's how I built these. For the vertical piece, I insert the 1/16th tubing inside of the 1/8 tubing and also use a piece of wire insulation to help take up some of the slack so the pin can be a smaller diameter. For the actual spindle, I drill a hole through both pieces of tubing for a piece of .033 piano wire that glues into this hole and then a 1/16th tubing is glued over the wire. I use Green Label Zap-A-Gap for any connection that has metal.

For my Fiat Altered, I drew up a diagram of how I build an all metal functioning straight axle. Here it is again:

WorkiingSteering.jpg

Hope this helps and thanks for your interest.

A bit more done and the interior is just starting to take shape. I used basswood for the counters that was laminated with thin veneer strips of wood from cigar wrappers. Searched and searched for just the right thing for a suitable sink and ended up using a metal capacitor, or whatever it is, from an old electrical component/circuit board. Fabricated a faucet from scrap pieces of metal. Need to make one more leg for the sink side of the cabinet and then I'll see what stain I have in the garage. Still looking through all of my odds and ends to make an authentic looking wood stove.

Galley2.jpg

Galley.jpg

Someone please tell me what this thing is called.

Capacitor.jpg

That's it for now. Stay tuned and thanks for your interest and comments.

Edited by gasser59

Seems there's not much progress but I have been busy making all of the interior components. The cast iron stove was a bit of a challenge because I couldn't find the basic barrel shape of your typical pot bellied stove so I made one similar to one I used to have from wood, styrene, aluminum sheet and tubing. The legs are made from doll house supplies from the LHS. The wainscoating was made on the computer and printed on card stock. Its just sitting in position for the pictures. It'll have the horizontal top piece when finished. Putting in the wainscoating sure made the interior look so much better and period correct.

Still working out the floor covering and may just end up making an image on the computer and again printing it on card stock.

Interior5.jpg

Again, thanks for your interest and following along. Comments welcomed and encouraged.

Edited by gasser59

that thing you are trying to identify is an electrolytic capacitor that has been cut in half.

ya beat me to it mike......... yepper, thats a capacitor. nice use of "found" parts........ i have a hard time throwing anything electronic away, before i tear it apart to see whats in there i can use!

beautiful work, keep it goin, and virgil is right, pat covert would be grinnin from ear to ear!

cheers

bryan

Thanks for all of the comments guys and also for letting me know that is a capacitor. I'm sure it was completely discharged as it was in my metal parts bin for over 15 years. I'll have more updates soon so stay tuned.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks for the kind words Ken. Yes, the spindles can be flimsy and here's how I built these. For the vertical piece, I insert the 1/16th tubing inside of the 1/8 tubing and also use a piece of wire insulation to help take up some of the slack so the pin can be a smaller diameter. For the actual spindle, I drill a hole through both pieces of tubing for a piece of .033 piano wire that glues into this hole and then a 1/16th tubing is glued over the wire. I use Green Label Zap-A-Gap for any connection that has metal.

For my Fiat Altered, I drew up a diagram of how I build an all metal functioning straight axle. Here it is again:

WorkiingSteering.jpg

Hope this helps and thanks for your interest.

Is this all Brass or Aluninium tubbing your using. Great job so far love the old cars.

John Pol

Had a request for a close-up of the faucet and sink plus the stove so here they are. I'll have more updates later tonight. The coffee pot just needs a shot of blue with speckles of white.

Sink_Faucet3.jpg

Stove2.jpg

Thanks.

Edited by gasser59

Lots of progress today and the hold up was the floor. I couldn't decide what to do so I drew up some planks on the computer and printed them out on card stock. It'll get some dirt added before final assembly. Here's a mock up couple shots with most everything in place. I have a few smaller items to finish up as well as the functioning door and interior window frame. Big ticket item still remaining is the lift off top. Have a couple of ideas on how I'd like it to fit so I'll work on that in a few days.

I attempted to make some folded up blankets with watered down Elmer's along with some colored pigment and they're drying at the moment. We'll see how they look in the morning. Since this is my first attempt at this, I'm expecting to need to redo them.

InteriorMockUp1.jpg

InteriorMockUp2.jpg

Thanks for following along and your interest. Comments welcome.

Fantastic!

Missed you at the club meeting last night, but I see you were being productive nonetheless!

Looking great, Brad. Let me know when you plan to bring it to a club contest ... I won't waste my time or effort bringing anything. That's pure winner! Money! Wow!

You and Hollywood/Peoria Jim are gonna be going head-to-head a lot!

B)