Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 POST APOCALYPSE/ZOMBIE HUNTER COMMUNITY BUILD

Dr. Cranky

OK, I'm in! I've had an idea bouncing around for a while and this'll be the perfect reason to build it! Since money is very tight and I have an extensive parts inventory, I'll be building mine in the style of the Post-apoc era... completely from parts and materiels that I have on hand. I see an Oshkosh-ish 6x6 powered by a 12v71 Detroit with a live-drive front axle, heavy walking-beam rear tandem and flotation tires on all axles. The reason behind this heavy a vehicle is this:

The date is August, 2017. Five years after First Contact... Three years after the entry of Earth into the Second Interdimensional/Intergalactic War... A group of Earth Partisan Fighters, resisting the Alien occupation of our planet have scavenged several pieces of alien technology. Namely a 2500Kw Ion Cannon, a Matter/Anti-matter reactor chamber and Ion-pulse generator. This Ion cannon is powerful enough that its use on anything with a mass smaller than an Airbus A380 is overkill... and has an effective range of 300 miles, including the ability to track and destroy vessels in Low-Earth-Orbit...The problem is linking the alien components together and getting them to work with the current Human technology available... I'm seeing a power generator powered by a 3406 Cat, a coolant pump run by a smaller gas engine, a shielded reactor chamber and coolant tanks, weapons systems console... I'll post component pictures as soon as I collect them...

As far as secondary weapons go, in 1/24-25, I have 1 M1919-A3, 2 MG-34's, 2 Mauser 98k's 2 MP-40's, a Thompson Sub-gun a 12-pump and a double-barrel shotgun... The 1919 will be mounted in a ring above the passengers seat on the tractor and the 2 MG-34's will be mounted in the bed of a 'Technical'... In other words, a pickup truck converted into a gun truck... I have the missles and mounts from a 1/32 scale F-14A that might get mounted on a third chassis as a 'Point Defense' style vehicle... (Hmm.... I wonder where I put that 'Jurrasic-Park' Humvee kit...)I have the material to build several Vulcan-style miniguns as well...

Well, It's time for me to start digging... This oughtta be fun as most of my stuff is in a storage unit... I'll post pics when I have something to take pics of... O

Ohh, I BLAME YOU, DR. CRANKY1!!!!!!!! WHEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Wagoneer81

Just a quick mock up pic of my post apo Vette.

The big wheels is there so you can drive right over the zombis and other aliens. Plus you can float in the watery weistlands.

Weapons yet to come.

2012-01-08-201405.jpg

Edited by patami

Patrick, did I just see you turn a Vette into a pick up truck? NICE! Great touch. I like it already. Here's a suggestion about those front wheels. I would use the same as in the back. This one is going to look like a killer beefy DONK VETTE to make all those Toothless Zombies into Crepe Suzettes! LOL!

Keep it going.

Dang, seems like great minds think alike.

I also want to do a post-alien-invasion theme for at least one of my builds.

Some time after WWII ends, giant extraterrestrial robots invade the earth.

Strangely enough, the invaders' technology is not very far ahead of the humans'. The nations of the earth that have been divided by the cold war learn to work together, and eventually prevail over the robot invaders after a long, drawn out war.

After the robots are defeated, and the nations of the world start to rebuild, the hot rodders of the world get the idea to use pieces of the robots' armor to customize their rides.

The main thing I am seeing is a 20's or 30's era car, rodded in a 50's style, with an art-deco style robot face as a radiator cowl. Everything else will build on from there.

Ah, memories . . . Doctor Cranky and Sgt. EYEGORE are warming up their engines . . .

IMG_2543-vi.jpg

I can feel that Dodge van kit making its way down from Atlanta to me . . . can't wait. The ideas are starting to ferment! :lol:

Next thing I know we will have INSANITY BEER to chase our Scrapple Sandwiches down with! :lol:

Dang, seems like great minds think alike.

I also want to do a post-alien-invasion theme for at least one of my builds.

Some time after WWII ends, giant extraterrestrial robots invade the earth.

Strangely enough, the invaders' technology is not very far ahead of the humans'. The nations of the earth that have been divided by the cold war learn to work together, and eventually prevail over the robot invaders after a long, drawn out war.

You, sir, need to read Harry Turtledove's "World War" series... It starts during WWII when early British radar operators start seeing 'Bogeys' or 'Radar glitches' flying at Mach2+ above 80,000'... Long story short, in mid 1943, Earth is invaded by 'The Race'... a reptilian species from another part of our galaxy...

Doc, like I said, I've had this idea bouncing around in my noggin for quite some time (Over a year, I'm afraid....) so the storyline has had time to develop. Hmmm, maybe one of the Interdimensional races involved in the conquest of our galaxy has the technology to reanimate the dead as a handy, plentiful source of combat troops... Shoot, it's still developing!!!

This build will give me the opportunity to finally work out a few ideas in scale... I shall have pictures soon! My Dad had surgery Thursday (A very successful one, I'm happy to add...) and is still recovering but he's home again and things are settling down so I should be getting back to the bench very soon!

You, sir, need to read Harry Turtledove's "World War" series... It starts during WWII when early British radar operators start seeing 'Bogeys' or 'Radar glitches' flying at Mach2+ above 80,000'... Long story short, in mid 1943, Earth is invaded by 'The Race'... a reptilian species from another part of our galaxy...

Hi Chris. I never read those books, but I do know some basics of the story. "World War" was probably bubbling up from my sub-conscious when I formulated my idea. I never said I was original, LOL.

I'm just really into the dieselpunk aesthetic lately. Sometimes I need to come up with a backstory to make sure if my model ideas make any sense.

This is one I did for a "What If?" group build on another site. The premise was, after the aliens invaded, states banded together, pooled resources and fought back. The UANA stands for UtahArizonaNevada Alliance. The flag is a combo of those three states flags.

DSCF3286.jpg

DSCF3287.jpg

DSCF3288.jpg

G

Edited by Agent G