Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Joe.... thats great news... fingers crossed for you. Soon you will be able to set up your airbush and be a painting fool like the rest of us.

Tyrone... LMAO... that there is funny.

Tom... no I didnt do anything to the clear after I shot it. I dont see why you couldn't coolor sand and polish it. Although you would want to wipe it dow. With wax and grease remover before you decided to spray alclad on it.

Michael... thank you very much. It's really not that hard. Just a little prep n paint work. And well a little patience too ...lol

Dave... thank you.. I am hoping with rhe next item I am working on will be pretty impressive as well... lol we shall see though because I am going to need a lot of paitience for the next task at hand.

Just fanfreakingtastic work Mr Sobak! The J hook work is unbelievable!! And the paint work on the blower is beyond incredible. As I said before, this is becoming more like artwork than a model. The detail is incredible. I bow in awe!!

Steve

Edited by sflam123

Steve.... Thank you very much. Its been a blast working on this.

Alright Fellas.... well I got some bench time.....well actually I should say some computer time. I decided to sit down and do some design work in SolidWorks and get a couple more parts drawn up. I started with the back window and then decided to start on the blower linkages. I first need to give Dave aka Comp1839 here a big thank you. I talked to him today and he was able to help me out with the dimensions on the Blower linkage. I still have another to design up. The linkages will be 3D printed and I will probably also 3D print a back window or two but I will also have one or two machined as well. Actually still thinking which would be better to do brass or aluminum. Anyway Here are some pics.....

Here is the back window in Solidworks. this is a 3D image and my plan is to make this out of .016" Brass or .016" Aluminum:

DP-Army-Vega%207348-1_zpswin30zfx.jpg

So Here is part of the sketch in solidworks. What I did was I inserted a picture of the back window that I took. Scaled the picture in solidworks and then drew the window to the size I needed:

DP-Army-Vega%207349-1_zpsgsr59j7n.jpg

Here is another image of it in Solidworks:

DP-Army-Vega%207350-1_zpsgt5ffa8j.jpg

After I was done drawing it up. I had printed it out 1:1 and cut it out to sorta do a dry fit to check if the size I drew it at would be ok and work for me:

DP-Army-Vega%207354-1_zpsln0uhczl.jpg

After I was done with the back window, I moved onto the blower linkage. which I did the same process. I took a picture that I took of the Sidewinder Motorcycle that John Teresi built at the Desert Scale Classic. The owner of the real bike brought it down and had it on display and I took a bunch of pics of it and of the engine for the details that I could use as reference. I did the same as I mentioned above by scaling the picture and the used it as a template to draw the part:

DP-Army-Vega%207351-1_zpstkjz13fx.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, thanks for sharing your methodology when it comes to your fabrication processes. I've got to sharpen my computer skills to do some of the things you've presented, but just like learning any new skill, it would help me to be a better modeler. I like that back window and had planned to use it on a future build. Can't wait to see how it looks on your build. Cheers, Tim

chris, you continue to raise the "self improvement bar" to new heights. i just hope "we" can keep up!!! hehe. awesome work!! by the way you should get those throttle linkages done in 1/8 while you're at it. i foresee a need for them.

Tim... Thank you very much. I gotta say its my pleasure being able to share this build with everyone. Yeah the back window I had to figure out what the best way to create it would be. I know I could of made it by hand but the problem is that I don't think I could of gotten all of the louvers/slots consistant. I am planning on having 1 or 2 3D printed but I have already talked to the guys in my tooling fab department at work who machine my projects at work for me to see if they could machine this for me. One of the guys thinks they can do it no problem. So I will give them the parasolid file and they will program the paths. if I am lucky enough I might be able to have it by saturday. Actually I would like to go in on a sturday when they are working and have them do it then so I can take pics of it on the machine while its getting fabbed.

Dave.... I can't thank you enough for all of your help that you have provided me behind the scenes on this. You have always been there to answer questions anytime I have asked, I truly appreciate it. I still have a long ways to catch up to guys like you, Tim and Clay who are machining your own parts. I would like to get there one day where I can fab my own parts on a mill. It will not be a problem to get these linkages done in 1/8th Scale as I drew them up 1:1 first and then scaled it down in solid works. I will just copy the file and re-scale it. I have another linkage I will do here after I go walk my dog since he has been waiting patiently for me to take him on his walk this morning.

Danno... You know you can still carve parts out of soap if you would like ;) . Thank you Very much. I just hope these parts will turn out ok when they are made.

Art... Thank you my friend. It's because of people like you and many of the other talented builders here that have helped me want to step my game up and build better than ever had before.

Danno... You know you can still carve parts out of soap if you would like ;) . Thank you Very much. I just hope these parts will turn out ok when they are made.

Ehhh, I don't think I'll ever go back to soap. I'm more into a different kind of suds these days. Besides, I've graduated to carving balsa wood. :mellow:

Joe... Thanks man. I think this rear window should turn out pretty good. You know I never thought of having it laser cut. I have already talked to my machinist at work and they are going to machine the piece for me off one of the CNC machines at work. I have already given them the parasolid model that they will program the tool path from off the SolidWorks 3D model i made for it. I am going to have them cut me a few of them out of .010" thick Brass and some .016" thick Aluminum. once done I will figure which looks best and then use that one on the car.

Brian... Thank you very much. I never though about that but you are probably right that there are real race cars that don't get taken care of like they should...lol

Ok Fellas.... I wanna show you what I have been up today. I feel I got some awesome work done on this today even though it may not look like much It was a huge hurdle and a big accomplishment. I was able to get the back window fabricated, which helps me be another step closer to get the body work and paint done now. I went into work today and had one of our Machinist from our tooling department help me fabricate the parts. One of the other Machinist's programmed the tooling path for the part earlier this week for me. It was a fun time seeing this come together and it took a little while. I was there from 5:30 am this morning and didn't leave until around 11:30 am or so. There is about 6 hours worth of work here. It took a while to set the machine up. Having to machine the fab table with dowel pins so we could bank the material in and then we had to fabricate a hold down clamp, which was the same size as the part since we were stacking up a few .010" and .016" thick material. Alright let me get to some of the pics I will share with ya.

Here is the CNC Machine at my work that we will be using to make the part:

DP-Army-Vega%207356-1_zpsiutmh7rz.jpg

Here is the part programmed into the CNC machine:

DP-Army-Vega%207357-1_zpshfg3rqkq.jpg

Here the Machinist was setting up his X0 and Y0 of the part:

DP-Army-Vega%207358-1_zpsqdz3ctyc.jpg

Here we are machining the slots of the cover plate that will hold down the material when we go to cut it later. This was made out of 1/16" thick Aluminum:

DP-Army-Vega%207364-1_zps71jalpao.jpg

Here is a shot of the slots completed on the cover plate. Now you can see in the corner slots that there are some holes. We will tap those and add bolts to be able to clap the material down and help it so it doesn't vibrate and they will be used when the outer profile of the window is cut:

DP-Army-Vega%207368-1_zpswhmytgb7.jpg

Here we are actually starting to fab the parts. We have stacked 2 pieces of .016" thick Aluminum and 2 pieces of .010 Brass on top of one another by going Aluminum, Brass, Aluminum Brass. We also are just cutting the holes for the hold down bolts. You will see in the pic following this one:

DP-Army-Vega%207370-1_zpsgfyym7mz.jpg

So here is the cover plate that we first made to hold down the material. The cover plate was held down with 4-40 screws and when the slots that had to be machined with the bolts we took the bolt out to do that one spot:

DP-Army-Vega%207372-1_zps5mhkhpl5.jpg

Here the machine was cutting the slots out:

DP-Army-Vega%207380-1_zpsz1dx0shc.jpg

Getting a little farther here:

DP-Army-Vega%207386-1_zpsv9yz5iok.jpg

Here is the machine cutting the first pass of the profile out of the window:

DP-Army-Vega%207389-1_zpsocz5qaf1.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

This may of been the 2nd to last pass it made for the profile:
DP-Army-Vega%207392-1_zpseosv8z24.jpg
Here are the completed parts after pulling them off of the machine:
DP-Army-Vega%207398-1_zps3quvefhg.jpg
Here I laid the part on the window. I intentionally made the part just a tad bigger than the opening so that I can sand the edges of the window and get it to have a nice fit onto the body:
DP-Army-Vega%207399-1_zpsbq09gjr6.jpg
Here is a better shot of how the finish looked. As you can see in these two pics the part needs to be deburred and cleaned up, which will be an easy task with a sanding stick:
DP-Army-Vega%207403-1_zpsgzikbcq8.jpg
DP-Army-Vega%207405-1_zpsxxvkffqg.jpg