Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stephen King Inspired Dio-base

Jantrix

After building the theme Cougar I felt it need a dio-base to be something other than just a black street machine. I wanted to set the scene. So I thought I'd give this a try. This is my first attempt at any sort of diorama. So go easy on me.

I started with some low-grit woodworking sandpaper and some dirt (Florida dirt = sand) from my backyard. I added some elements from SK's Dark Tower series for flavor. After I try a couple more details I WILL try to post this up on the forum for Stephen King's website. The billboard is basswood and the stop sign is just printed paper covered with clear tape and backed with aluminum can. The weathering on the stop sign was completely accidental but it sure turned out nice.

100_0644.jpg

100_0646.jpg

100_0647.jpg

Hi....Jantrix....Great Diorama , I also like the stop sign . I see you are from Jax.Flo. I am from Puerto Rico but I go to several events at Florida. Did you go to the IPMS Model Fest at Titusville , Florida last weekend . I was there, (did not compete or exhibit) it was a big event , but as you know (IPMS) does not have many automoble modelers and Dioramas , anyway , I always have fun , great Military and Sci-Fi Dioramas with what I can learn more. There is another big event next month , I did go last year to promote our Puerto Rico's ''Caribbean Scale Auto Expo" I am going to do the same thing this year , but will have some Dioramas on display. It is the IPMS Modelpalooza, May 17-18 at the Central Fl. Fairgrounds. The TableTop Model Car Club will also have ther Model Car Show from June 21-22 at Melbourne Square Mall......Keep up the good Diorama modeling.............Above and Beyond...........Barbo

Edited by Barbo

Barbo, thanks very much for the ata-boy, it means a lot. As for competitions, I only go to the IPMS Jaxcon every year, tho I missed this year. I work most weekends and if I suggest taking a vacation day for a model contest or "event" my wife gives me that WTF look. Besides I'm a VERY compedative guy and I think it would take a lot of the fun out of building for me. I just build for me, and am pretty content with that. However getting feedback from my peers online, does mean a lot to me. So thanks again for the kind words, and if you're ever in my neck of the woods drop me a line.

This is an excellent tribute to one of my favorite pieces of literature..Completely awesome work!

If you ever find a crow in 1/25 scale,it would look great on the sign post..

Man, you read my mind. I was thinking maybe a toy bird for doll houses? I'll have to do some looking around.

BTW, I posted this on the Stephen King messsage board and the response has been excellent. Some real nice folks there.

Thanks again for the kind words.