Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Tri 5 Chevys are really popular. How about some BOP's ?

Are you suggesting a series using common parts? If so, not much way that can happen and be accurate: 3 different body shells due to styling differences, 3 different chassis, 3 different engines, two different chassis (Olds and Pontiac used Hydramatics, but the Buick used Dynaflow), not to mention interiors.

This is quite unlike the Tri-Five Chevrolet thing--where the engines of the '55 and 56 are virtually identical (the '57 could be, IF modelers had been OK with a baseline 265cid instead of the newly introduced 283 for 1957), one common chassis, two dashboards, three sets of interior parts, two sets of hubcaps/wheel covers, and a very universal popularity.

For any of the BOP's to have some success, the car(s) selected would need to have at least 1 or 2 variants that could generate popularity and sales beyond the fairly obvious hardtop subject,

Not to say that none of these wouldn't be most interesting, of course!

Art

There are other differences too. On the 55 - 57 Chevys, the roof line of the hardtops, convertibles, and Nomad was 1-1/2 inches lower than the sedans. So even though that's not very noticeable, the windshield, rear window, and vent windows don't swap.

As far as the other GM cars, the only parts that Chevy shared with any of them was with Pontiac. The roof stamping, all the glass, the doors and the deck lid where the same. Model for model, of course.

This is quite unlike the Tri-Five Chevrolet thing--where the engines of the '55 and 56 are virtually identical (the '57 could be, IF modelers had been OK with a baseline 265cid instead of the newly introduced 283 for 1957)

Where do you come up with this kind of stuff? :wacko:16320227_90c3aa1691.jpgsucp_0904_01_z+chevy_engine_parts_detail

Edited by Greg Myers

Where do you come up with this kind of stuff? :wacko:

Years in the business, access to resources like Mitchell's crash-books from the period (which bodyshops would have used for estimating, and ordering the correct collision-repair parts), or Hollander Interchange manuals (which exist to allow one to determine which parts from one make within a corporate environment will interchange with those of another make).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Years in the business, access to resources like Mitchell's crash-books from the period (which bodyshops would have used for estimating, and ordering the correct collision-repair parts), or Hollander Interchange manuals (which exist to allow one to determine which parts from one make within a corporate environment will interchange with those of another make).

IF modelers had been OK with a baseline 265cid instead of the newly introduced 283 for 1957)

Proto%20Rivets.jpg

I see 3

:lol: :lol: :lol: Still, the truth is that you couldn't build any sort of accurate renditions of the BOPs of the period without taking the body-shell and frame differences into consideration. Again, how much sliding-away from scale-correct would be acceptable, when there were over 600 posts on the Rat Roaster, many lamenting Revell's deviation from accuracy ?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There are other differences too. On the 55 - 57 Chevys, the roof line of the hardtops, convertibles, and Nomad was 1-1/2 inches lower than the sedans. So even though that's not very noticeable, the windshield, rear window, and vent windows don't swap.

As far as the other GM cars, the only parts that Chevy shared with any of them was with Pontiac. The roof stamping, all the glass, the doors and the deck lid where the same. Model for model, of course.

And the mechanicals of the Pontiacs (at least the '56 I know of) were not the same as the Chevy. Not just the engine either.

Greg , I partially agree with you but I don't think the model companies would do this for reasons already stated . But with what's available in resin and some kit bashing we can build it ourselves . No , it won't be 100 % correct under the skin but I don't think any build like this is . I'm in the middle of such a build now , and while I'd like to be as accurate as possible , I know it's not .

I agree with those you want a "kit" to be accurate but in this case : " If it walks like a duck . . ."

I guess that's my point. I'm amazed here at all the gnashing of teeth not unlike what went on with the Rat Roaster '32. Jeez there ain't even a kit yet. :o Just an idea for a new direction. OK, we need a '57 Chevy convertible in 1/25th scale, but how about something fresh and new (different)? The Revell '50 Olds is a step in the right direction.

$T2eC16VHJHIE9nyseFruBRD)luMcBg~~60_12.J

how about something fresh and new (different)? The Revell '50 Olds is a step in the right direction.

Fresh is good, and different can also be good, depending upon the subject, but they need to sell, too. The '50 Olds has the early NASACAR overlap like the Moebius Hudsons and '55 Chrysler 300 kits did, but do mid '50s Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Pontiacs have the same multiple marketing avenues to drive sales? There may be an Indy Pace Car version among them, as seen in the original issue of the '55 Bel Air convertible, but that "second" option doesn't seem to increase sales much.

A '55 Pontiac...a face only a Mother could love: :P

55Pontiac05.jpg

Now, I like some of the styling details on the above car, like the side trim/color split and rear quarter panel shapes, but the headlight eyebrows, trim strips running the length of the hood, and the baleen looking "mouth" aren't all that attractive to me, especially in light of the '55 Chevy's simplicity up front.

The '57 Pontiac's face is even busier, and the dagmars seem excessive and ostentatious compared to the '57 Chevy's:

Watsonimg096vi-vi.jpg

I think the Tri-Five Chevies are the most popular because style wise, they look the best and are the most appealing to the eye, but as we know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Impo of the 55-57 GM cars chevy was the dog of the group. I know I'll catch a lot of flack for saying that but that is why it's my opinion and not yours. I would much rather see a 57 pontiac chieftian or a 55 buick or an oldsmobubble model then yet another tri-five chev

Ya wanna borrow my "Flack Jacket"? :lol:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I would like to see something other than a Tri-5 Chevy. A person can only build a 57 Chevy so many times.

Yeah it would be GREAT to see ANY 50's BOP's come out in kit form, but as Casey pointed out, it's probably never gonna happen. Until then those of us who like ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING from the 50's will have to keep the aftermarket resin guys in business with our modeling dollars...... or, take lessons from Juha Airio and scratchbuild our own.

Even the frames are not quite the same for the '55-7 Chevys and Pontiacs. IIRC, the wheelbase difference is noticeable as the Pontiacs were longer-----especially between the leading edge of the front door, and the trailing edge of the front wheelwell.

I've seen conversions done in the past as fellas have tried to base the Pontiacs on the Chevys, and they always appear a bit too "short" to me.

Still, it would be nice to see a '57 Pontiac Safari for instance, or maybe a '57 Olds 88-98 (would make a nice stock car racer!) :P

A '55 Pontiac...a face only a Mother could love: :P

55Pontiac05.jpg

Now, I like some of the styling details on the above car, like the side trim/color split and rear quarter panel shapes, but the headlight eyebrows, trim strips running the length of the hood, and the baleen looking "mouth" aren't all that attractive to me, especially in light of the '55 Chevy's simplicity up front.

The '57 Pontiac's face is even busier, and the dagmars seem excessive and ostentatious compared to the '57 Chevy's:

Watsonimg096vi-vi.jpg

I think the Tri-Five Chevies are the most popular because style wise, they look the best and are the most appealing to the eye, but as we know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Well, taste and style are very subjective and personal. What GM was trying to do was make the Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles look more expensive than Chevy because they were. In the fifties the new car market was much more segmented than it is today. Ford and Chevy were considered to be in the low price field. As you moved up in your life you "upgraded" to Pontiac or Olds. As things got better you would move up to Buick and finally, when your ship came in, you bought a Cadillac. At least that's what the GM marketing department wanted you to think.

Doctors and lawyers drove Cadillacs, business executives drove Buicks, etc.

Personally I don't mind the styling of the early to mid fifties GM cars. It wasn't until 1958 that the stylists all went nutso and lost their way! :D