Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hollywood Garage

Hollywood Jim

Nice work on that go-cart JIm. Nice to see you remembered the brakes.

Thanks.

Gotta tell you a story about the brakes. My friends and I built a car a few years after my first car. We installed only one brake on the left side.

We were racing down a hill with several other cars in the neighborhood. When my friend put on the one left brake, (at about 10 miles per hour) the car swerved to the left and flipped over !! My friend recieved a few scrapes.

Advice: Always put two brakes on these cars and use both of them !

Edited by Hollywood Jim

Darn you Jim! Now all of us want an apple crate cart! I built one with my grandfather when I was a kid. A neighbor gave me 4 old baby carriage wheels and my grandfather brought home a crate. Mine was simpler, I sat in the crate and the front end was nothing more than a wood plank with a cross piece on either end where the wheels went. Think dragster!

Mine had braking by Keds!

This is looking amazingly accurate ! Seems to me there might be an old phonograph to listen to music & maybe a box of old "78s". I remember how excited my Dad was in the early '70s to get a new console for the home. He seemed more excited that he got the old one to put in the garage. For this time period the old "system" might well have been a phonograph ?

Thank you guys !!

Experimenting with some tarp materials and thinned white glue.

Here is the test body.

j-vi.jpg

First I tried some cotton material, like a pillow case. But it came out with lots of wrinkles.

ja-vi.jpg

Then I tried aluminum foil. When your working with it, once it is wrinkled it is hard to smooth out.

No glue needed, just paint it. It works OK, but not for large areas.

jc-vi.jpg

jd-vi.jpg

I found only one paper towel that had no pattern on the paper. It was Viva. Very easy to work with after it is soaked in thinned white glue.

Works perfectly. But when it dries it is kind of porous. The texture is pretty rough, like an old weathered canvas tarp.

je-vi.jpg

jf-vi.jpg

Viva tarp painted.

jg-vi.jpg

My Viva tarp is drying.

jh-vi.jpg