Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Olds Gasser

Hollywood Jim

as Alway Jim you amaze me with your creativity!!!....Well keep on eye on this one. This is just me, but I think you need to lose the muffler. maybe have it laying next to the car under a tree..

Thank you !!!

As far as the muffler goes, I'm trying to be as accurate as possible. These are the NHRA gasser rules from 1958.

1958 NHRA Rules for gassers:

3. Must have legal equipment required for operation on the street, including started & generator in good working order, & must be properly licensed for current year’s operation. Rear bumpers will be required in this division. Cars in this division must be started under own power. Fans & belts are optional. Radiator required.

4. Interiors may not be gutted. Must run full factory-type upholstery. Bucket seats (two) may replace front seats in coupes or two-door sedans, but be fully upholstered.

5. Must be equipped with mufflers suitable for street use. Headers with maximum of two head-pipes per car, will be permitted, but exhaust system shall be so constructed that mufflers remain on the car at all times. Header plugs or by-passes may be open during competition running.

Jim do you cover seats with a fabric, or something to get the rips and tears? I'm building a 56 ford sitting in a dry river bed, and cant get the seats to look like they should.....

Take toilet paper or one ply Kleenix. You have to find something with no pattern on it.

Use flat enamel paint and apply it with that. Then when it is dry you can rip, tear and pull it up as you like.

See how I did it here:

http://www.rocketfin.com/hollywood-jim/48_woody_4.cfm

Thank you all so much for your kind comments.

I will be testing some weathering ideas on this test body.

Img_8021-vi.jpg

I decided to put the finished model on a trailer. This adds to the story that very little repair was done to the car after it was found.

(For instance it won't have a battery.)

While the paint was drying on the test body, I built this trailer from some old trailer parts I had. I scratchbuilt most of it.

Img_8012-vi.jpg

Img_8016-vi.jpg

Img_8025-vi.jpg