Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

bogger44

Here's my third one off the bench this year, finishing it this morning. The kit went together very well, though the radiator core support is a very tight squeeze during final assembly and took some finessing. I moved the rear axle forward slightly to center up the tires in the wheelwells. The tires are AMT pad-printed units, and the Torque Thrusts are from the Revell '68 Mustang GT. Paint is Duplicolor Universal Black polished out with MCW Buff-EZ and Final Finish, with no clearcoat. I used Duplicolor GM Orange-Red Engine enamel over a black basecoat for the spoiler for a pretty close match to the decal stripe. I had put the Charger script decals on the roof and tail light panel, but removed them as they had silvered pretty bad and looked like garbage. The air cleaner decal was a real pain as well, and didn't come out the best, but it's there. Now to figure out what to build next......

69%20Daytona%20346_zpsrpckeeas.jpg

69%20Daytona%20359_zpsltvvtldp.jpg

69%20Daytona%20389_zpsrx7o0lbw.jpg

69%20Daytona%20378_zpsw6c3cukf.jpg

69%20Daytona%20362_zpsg36vyaeg.jpg

69%20Daytona%20367_zps51oodtan.jpg

69%20Daytona%20364_zpsioz0ll8t.jpg

69%20Daytona%20397_zpsoflp3erq.jpg

69%20Daytona%20376_zps6lkozsok.jpg

69%20Daytona%20360_zpseq74tafr.jpg

Wow- that looks so awesome! Did all the engine details come w the kit or did you make/buy them? The shine on the paint is outstanding!! The orange engine color you used- is it one of the ones that contain ceramic? I almost bought some but I wasn't sure how it would react to styrene and other paints. Also, what primer/ base coat did you use?

Wow- that looks so awesome! Did all the engine details come w the kit or did you make/buy them? The shine on the paint is outstanding!! The orange engine color you used- is it one of the ones that contain ceramic? I almost bought some but I wasn't sure how it would react to styrene and other paints. Also, what primer/ base coat did you use?

Wow- that looks great!! The shine is awesome!! Does the engine paint contain ceramic? I almost bought some but wasn't sure how it would react w styrene a ms other paints. And what about the engine details? Did they come w the kit or did you make/ buy them? And what did you use for your primer/ base coat? Sorry if you get more than one post concerning this subject, I'm just learning this forum and may have posted twice or sent it in a message!?!? ???

Thanks a lot guys, glad you guys like it. I had wanted to paint this in something other than the seemingly popular red with a black stripe, so when I was doing some research I had come across one in black/red stripe and was like "Yup, that's what it's going to be!".

Derick - First off, welcome to the forum! The heater hoses come with the kit, otherwise all other wiring I added myself. The dizzy is a Preston's pre-wired unit. Everything else under the hood is supplied in the kit. You are correct, the Duplicolor engine paint I used on the spoiler says "with ceramic" on the label. I didn't experience any issues with it. For primer, I use Duplicolor Filler Primer (FP101), and the basecoat was the same DC Universal Black that I used on the body. I really like that primer and have used it for many years. As long as you have good coverage with it (I always apply several coats) you should be ok painting with hot laquers, at least in my experiences with it (so far so good). Plastic spoons are great for testing various paints and their compatibility, prior to shooting it on a body and hoping for the best.