Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1990 Mustang LX

Erik Smith

Here is the now infamous Revell LX...

I started the kit soon after the release, had to go to work for a few months, and finally managed to get some time this fall to finish things up.

So, imagine 1990. Your nerdy neighbor finally tries to be cool. You hear he's going to buy a new Mustang. "Wow. I always thought that guy was a dweeb".

Well, here he comes on a warm fall afternoon. Slow and steady has you clear the road...what? Yes, that "new cool" neighbor got a Mustang, and first thing he did - whitewalls and chrome door handles. Whatever, man...

IMG_6468_zpsf44312da.jpg

Overall, the kit is a very nice. You can peruse the WIP section and the kit review for all the short-comings - I won't rehash it all again.

IMG_6473_zpse19fabdb.jpg

IMG_6474_zps0182d8c3.jpg

IMG_6475_zps753e0b9e.jpg

IMG_6480_zpsc2466600.jpg

IMG_6481_zpsb198c34a.jpg

IMG_6482_zps0c359018.jpg

IMG_6483_zps3df56ecf.jpg

In conclusion:

I wasn't real happy with the fit of the tail lights and reflectors. The chrome portion is sort of ambigous and fits tight. The red lenses fit well but the clear portions are too short - or so it appears to me. There is a slight edge on the taillights for painting the black trim, but it's a little tedious.

The window trim was fairly faint but still turned out okay. I masked it all with BMF and sprayed Tamiya Semi Gloss Black.

The black window areas were a bit of a challenge for me - I am not used to doing that and I failed at a few attempts to mask and paint and ended up using a sharpie.

The headlight trim (or the black area between the individual "lenses" turned out a little thick - but better than nothing.

I loved the chassis and engine. Both are easy to assemble, are engraved very well, and look good. As noted in my build, there is no coil cover in the kit (the emissions decal is included, though), but it's an easy fix.

Thank you very much to all the knowledgable folks who(m?) helped with the build and reference materials. I know it's not perfect, but then again, I wouldn't have any place to go if it was!

Wow it looks real......

Yeah this thing stopped me dead in my tracks when I clicked on this thread. Holy poo, this thing is great! And kudos to getting plug wires into the kit plug boot, i fail so hard at this but maybe I'll keep trying. Man this thing is nice, good work!!

Very nice Mustang. I like the white wall tires and those wheels on it. Very nice and sharp build with nice paint and detail. You did good job on masking and painting those window trims, one of the things where I never succeed in. Maybe that's why I haven't picked one of these kits yet. :D

You did good job on masking and painting those window trims, one of the things where I never succeed in. Maybe that's why I haven't picked one of these kits yet. :D

I was thinking about that myself. I am just learning to do paint masks and they are a pain in the tail. I see the glass nicely painted on diecast, would modelers want to have the glass predone with the black edging from the kit manufacturer? That would mean perfect tampo print every time!

It's the subtle things that make this build outstanding. The black rubber under both the antennae and badges is what struck me. I am getting the resin body kit offered elsewhere here and am wondering now why I did. This looks as nice as any 1:1 IMHO.

I'm going back for some more looks.

Bob