Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pictures of your kit collections (waiting to be built)

I see one of my grail kits in there. The "Used Cars" promo kit! So jealous!

I love that movie. I never knew that there was a kit related to the movie. I want one now, is at the top of my got to find list. What car is it? It looks like a 67 full size Ford or something like it.

From what I know, they Used Cars kits where sort of a press release for the movie that where sent out to T.V. and radio stations to promote the movie. From what I read, and I have never seen one of these kits in person, the contents are parts that do not even go together! And the instructions are some crazy setup on how to build your used car. Someone once said they found a Camaro in the box with other misc parts.

I just have a soft spot for show biz related kits.

Well lets see this pile of police car "blanks" is still there, although it has half a case of Chargers piled onto it now.

6327692315_8b66c8a76a_b.jpg

My main wall of kits, now everything is sitting flush with nothing double-stacked...

8361369806_d6757371f6_b.jpg

Which was made possible by taking all of my import kits (except the London Bus and Trumpter ALF) and putting them onto their own separate shelf.

8360307165_5a663635b3_b.jpg

From what I know, they Used Cars kits where sort of a press release for the movie that where sent out to T.V. and radio stations to promote the movie. From what I read, and I have never seen one of these kits in person, the contents are parts that do not even go together! And the instructions are some crazy setup on how to build your used car. Someone once said they found a Camaro in the box with other misc parts.

I just have a soft spot for show biz related kits.

There were 500 of the Used Cars kits made & they were given out for radio station giveaways. Inside the box is a 75-76 Camaro kit molded in black from MPC. The instructions are just a cartoon that have nothing to do with the Camaro. There is also a movie poster & a book for translating "Used car salesman lingo" to english. One of my rarer kits next to the Taylor Autocar. :)

There were 500 of the Used Cars kits made & they were given out for radio station giveaways. Inside the box is a 75-76 Camaro kit molded in black from MPC. The instructions are just a cartoon that have nothing to do with the Camaro. There is also a movie poster & a book for translating "Used car salesman lingo" to english. One of my rarer kits next to the Taylor Autocar. :)

One of my favorite car movies, no that car wasn't a taxi, that's yellow primer in the door jambs!

Wish I could show mine, but til I get a better camera that WORKS in Darker indoor

rooms, or get some one with one, I can't.

I don't have enough Flood lights to get pictures that will let you see anything.

niteowl7710, I wish I had HALF that many Lindberg OSP Crown Vic's.

I need that "V" Vision/Vector lightbar for some projects.

By the time I find them on evilbay, and can ask the seller if they accept

Postal Money order, they have sold ALL they have!!

The MX now in those kits is OK, but why didn't they offer the option??

Did they loose the tooling??

Yea, I know the mounting pins on the MX are closer together than on the V bar!!

The V bar in the Charger is not as good. No rotators/reflectors inside like on the

OSP Crown Vic version.

Wish I could show mine, but til I get a better camera that WORKS in Darker indoor

rooms, or get some one with one, I can't.

I don't have enough Flood lights to get pictures that will let you see anything.

By the time I find them on evilbay, and can ask the seller if they accept

Postal Money order, they have sold ALL they have!!

The MX now in those kits is OK, but why didn't they offer the option??

Did they loose the tooling??

Yea, I know the mounting pins on the MX are closer together than on the V bar!!

The V bar in the Charger is not as good. No rotators/reflectors inside like on the

OSP Crown Vic version.

Lindberg did sell the lightbar separately for $7.49 (about half as much as the kit cost), but it had the same red/clear some split, which meant you needed two of them if you needed one for an all blue light project. As far as why it's never been reissued, the car itself probably can't be relicensed, the Ohio Highway Patrol is a real stickler (putting it mildly) about that winged wheel they use. Back when the kit was issued Lindberg was owned by CraftHouse and they were based in Toledo. The Vector/Vision SHOULD have been in the CHP reissue so you could build an accurate car out if the box.

Just a question to you guys that have hundreds and thousands of kits do you have insurance on them ?

I don't have a separate policy for the collection, but my tenant insurance policy more than covers everything in my house, including the models.

I have a few in resin, you can have a couple if you want, I will probably never get round to using them ...

2013-01-10223627.jpg

I do have Ollie's about 30 miles from my house.

I got the Illinois & Generic for only $4.99!!!!!

CHP was still $7.99. Haven't been back since Early Aug!!!

The V bar I want was ONLY in the Original Ohio kit.

It is NOT correct either. I have a Pic of OSP unit 1933

and it has a Whelan Edge Strobe bar Not the V bar.

A friend from Ohio told me NO OSP car even had one.

And Yes, It Should have had 2 Blue caps.

I wish my CHP kit had the V bar in it.as Most of the CHP Crown's did!

I have 4 of the kits, and had one of th ePArts-pack V lightbars, but traded that.

I am using 2 Clear cap.s to paint/tint blue for the OSP build.

Notice on the box, though you can BARELY see them, 2 of the caps on the right side ARE Blue not red!!

I actually have an ebay search saved for the Lindberg Parts-pack V lightbar.

but last time I found any (Seller had 10) his reply to my question about accepting

Postal Money Orders was After he had sold All of them!!!

There is one in my watch now for $4.50, but no reply to my question yet.

I would buy all he had !!.

I did look at the Chimneyville resin V bar, but all the rotators/reflectors are

cast to the base and facing straight ahead.

I might be interested. Let me know a price. But I know I would have to remove/replace

those rotators/reflectors.

That was one Very Nice detail in the original Lindberg lightbar!!

I like that the caps for this bar are all clear in the Charger, but are smaller and there

is No rotator/reflector for inside.

I guess I could make them the Newest LED version!!

I am betting that Lindberg Lost that tooling, notice that in the second series of that kit the

Tail lights are Clear not red!!

Heck, I would be happy if the Rotators/reflector were still on the chrome tree!

But the Chrome tree is not even a complete tree anymore either,

Just small sections of it!!

Most of the parts are actually Loose, though bagged

Clear taillights are better anyway, there was never really a good way to represent the small reverse lights in the lower part of the trim when the while thing was cast in clear red.

I highly doubt they lost anything, Lindberg for better or worse has been plodding along at best ever since the got bought by J Lloyd. Heck they had to set their warehouse on "fire" just to fund the 4 year overdue run of police Chargers. That Charger tooling that saw service with Testors as the R/T and Daytona and then Lindberg themselves released it as the SRT-8 Super Bee and police package is probably the last new kit we'll ever see from them unless someone can unshackle it from it's current ownership. It's a shame because the CraftHouse stuff from the 90's was as good as anything else being made at the time.

We aren't even seeing Re-issues now, so New..................

I know several would love to see them re-issue their old MIni-Lindy's kits.

Too bad they have the Old IMC tooling now. Testor's would likely offer them

They did before.

I have the Touch-Tone Terror Dodge Pickup in IMC box with Very small Testor's

name on it. That is one I know Many want again.

I don't believe Testors has never owned any tools, all of the kits they ever "produced" were sourced from whomever owned the tooling at the time. The Charger kits say "Produced for Testors, by J. Lloyd Inc". A good deal of their import kits are reboxed Fujimi kits. It's actually the easiest and cheapest way to obtain the Enthusiast series of kits as they seem to always sell pretty cheap because of the Testors box.

For those who have been questioning insuring models, it is not really nessesary to have a separte policy. They are automaticaly covered as personal property on any homeowner, renters or condo policy.

What you do have to have is a current list and some photos of your stash so that you can prove that you owned 953 kits. Valuation can be shown by ebay or some other auction site or current cost if the kit is still availble. You need a separate rider for such things as jewerly, guns, money, furs etc. because the above mentioned policies have specific restriction or limits in the policy. There are no such restrictions on models. I would guess that most insurance companies don't see a lot of claims for plastic kits.

However there is one restriction and that applies to your built kits. Unless you bought it from someone else and have a reciept you will only get the value of a replacement kit. Insurance companies don't recognize your efforts unless you are a professional and they are inventory for sale. Then there is a whole differant set of rules that apply to business inventories. This also applies to your photos. The companies only have to give you replacement film.

So, for the average hobbiest, just keep a list and some photos, but then that applies to just about everything in your house.

Personally, every couple of years or so, I get the video camera out and shoot the whole house. I open all the drawers, cabinetes and closets and shoot everything. I then make a dvd and throw it in the safe depost box. Takes a couple of hours but I had to use it once and it came in handy.