Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

The MPC '72 Impala is high on my list too. (Miles, all I've got to trade is a built up '73 Caprice.) An MPC '67 Bonneville convertible. And AMT's '68 Lincoln. AMT's GMC Astro 95 with the turbine engine. AMT's Open Road Chevy Van. And any MPC early 70's Dodge or Ford Van, with the side windows and rear seats.

There are several more like a '65 Imperial convertible. But, the above are the big hitters for me. There is one odd kit I'd jump at if I could find one at a reasonable price. The MPC '73 Caprice with the option to build the RCMP version. Not a big fan of the '73 Caprice (and you'll note I have one). But, the RCMP police car would be very cool.

post-10661-0-36086600-1415458250_thumb.j

Scott

Almost any of the original AMT annual kits from 1965 to '69, especially the '66s and '67s, in their original boxes. I've managed to acquire several of them in the last few years. My favorites are prolly '66 Skylark, '66 Barracuda, '66 Mustang HT/Convertible, and '66 Corvette roadster.

AMT '65 Chevelle, either original annual or the AWB funnycar.

JoHan '68 Javelin with the Logghe-chassis funnycar option. Also, any other '68-'70 Javelin, or the AMT AMX with the funnycar option.

MPC '33 Chevy Sedan Delivery.

MPC '66 and '67 Bonneville hardtops.

I'm sure I'll think of others but the above is a good "core" list.

I think I have all my holy grail kits

-- amt 1970 Monte Carlo (3)

--- 88 Monte Carlo aero back (3)

--- amt caprice with trailer (1)

---- revell porsche gt1 lemans (1)

------amt 67 chevy impala (5)

--- amt 1970 impala (1)

Only one I'm missing is the amt 65 riviera

Only one I'm missing is the amt 65 riviera

That's a common enough kit, reissued many times and I'm sure it will come around again. Unless of course you just MUST have the original box. I think the original instructions are online. If they're not, I'm pretty sure I still have them.

My holy grail kit changes as I find it. Fortunately,,I have most of the kits I've ever really lusted after. And by todays standards I am in most of them pretty cheap

My top five are as follows

Top of my list though is the Barry Setzer Vega AA/FC kit

I have this one both as a nice builtup and a sealed untouched original kit

Followed real close by the Color Me Gone 1968 Charger AA/FC kit . Have one as a builtup,,,I will find the unbuilt someday if the funds will ever allow (had one sealed inside and foolishly sold it many years ago )

I have a real nice built of a Charle Allen Dart AA/FC ( I bought it exactly as shown here ) Someday would like to have an unbuilt version for the stash

Johan 1969 GTX ,,,I've got a decent builder and really want an unbuilt in the box kit

Johan 1970 Road Runner , Again have a decent builtup,,,but really want an unbuilt to go along with it

Edited by gtx6970

I'm at the LIARS model show now and scored an un-built, partially painted '68 Hemi under Glass for cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean UNDER $100....... I'll post pictures when I get home.

Clear the workbench! I'm building this sucker this winter !!!!

Edited by FASTBACK340

I already have most of mine. At the top of the list were the Johan '61 Plymouth Fury & the '66 Chrysler 300. I now have both of those as well as a few others like the Johan '61 Chrysler New Yorker, Johan '67 Plymouth, AMT '58 Ford, just to mention a few. The only ones I have left to find are:

Johan '65-'66 Plymouth Fury

MPC '67 Pontiac Bonneville

AMT '60 Ford pickup

AMT '67 Ford Galaxie

& then.....who knows! :) Steve

I've pretty much got mine: Jo-Han Chrysler Turbine car (full detail) and Dr. Krook's Medicine Show (Patent Pending). The show rod was a glue bomb, but it wasn't bad to take apart and was complete. All I had to do was glue the windshield frame back together. There are others I would like to have, but aren't as critical, like an Aurora Aston Martin DB-4 and a Chevy Vega (non-drag version).

Funny this topic comes up the day I received my HOLY GRAIL kit! A couple of weeks ago I was contacted out of the blue to see if I wanted this kit. I figured the fella wanted the usual 800.00 or more as when they occasionally show up on Ebay which I could not justify....even for a "grail" kit. I ended up paying $250.00 and it is complete and un-built....great find and great buy (thanks John)

Bandai1-12STPTurbine1_zpsaed91560.jpg

Bandai1-12STPTurbine2_zps3fb22ee7.jpg