Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Not true. Oldsmobile did in fact build 7 factory sedan deliveries in 1950. There was one built for each Oldsmobile factory in North America at the time. They were used as parts runners and executive vehicles at the plants. These seven are believed to have been coach built vehicles as they share no measurements or sheet metal in common with the Chevrolet sedan deliveries of the time. They were an entirely unique vehicle. 3 of them are known to have survived. It is entirely possible that all three were at Oldsmobiles 100th anniversary show and these were the ones you saw. They were never intended for mass production or public sale. It is actually kind of amazing that these three have even survived and did not get crushed.

Definitely a super rare and super cool vehicle.http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1950-oldsmobile-sedan-delivery

As noted, I was getting together last night with my buddy whom I went to the Olds nationals with in 1997. We went to a very nice, every other Saturday, car show in Hasting, MN. We got talking about the Oldsmobile sedan deliveries we saw at the Olds nationals in '97 and the Old Cars Weekly article linked to above. As we talked, there were few points from the article that made no sense. The big one, why would Oldsmobile custom build 7 sedan delivery bodies for working vehicles, not show vehicles, then the GM A body, Chevrolet sedan delivery shared with Pontiac would fit just fine on the Olds 76 and 88 chassis? It doesn't make practical or financial sense to build custom bodies for this purpose. Second is there was a lot of incorrect information in that article. For example, the wheelbase difference between the Chevy and Olds making it impossible to use the Chevy sedan delivery body. Chevrolet and Pontiac had different wheelbases. 115" for the Chevy. 120" for the Pontiac. They shared the same sedan delivery bodies. The difference is in cowl forward. Pontiac has a longer chassis and front clip. But, shares all it's bodies, other than rear fender and trim, from the cowl back with Chevrolet and so did the Oldsmobile 76 and 88 models. The small A body Oldsmobiles rode on a 119-1/2" wheelbase.

Do a Google search for 1950 Oldsmobile sedan delivery. These cars are talked about on other boards. The conclusion from other sources is there seems to be 3 presently known 1950 Olds sedan deliveries. One a model 76 with the Olds six cylinder engine and a split windshield. Most seem to think they were not done by Oldsmobile themselves. On one board, someone claimed there was an article in a magazine several years ago talking about how to convert a Chevy sedan delivery into an Oldsmobile.

Also I knew Helen Jones Early who headed the Oldsmobile archives until she died a little over 10 years ago. Something said in the Old Cars Weekly article made me think there was something about these vehicles in the book she coauthored with James Walkinshaw on Olds history, "Setting the Pace, Oldsmobile's First 100 Years." I have autographed copy #16, by the way. There is no mention of 1950 Olds sedan deliveries being built or use by Oldsmobile in that book. Or any other Oldsmobile book in my collection.

My conclusion? I'm not sure one way or another about factory built 1950 Oldsmobile sedan deliveries. I know I saw a couple at the 100th Anniversary celebration in Lansing, back in 1997. They were not displayed as "official" Olds vehicles at the show. This doesn't mean the story in the Old Cars Weekly is wrong. But, the more I looked in to it, the more doubts I have. I wish Helen Jones Early was still alive. She would have known for sure.

Scott

New vintage grille/bumper/headlights for the '60 Chrysler.

14830603728_40431c3f20_c.jpg

With that, a new chassis and glass, and Satco tires with deep chrome reverse wheels from the Jo-Han Petty Plymouth, all mocked up it looks a lot better than when you last saw it:

13093377714_d75aa1433b_c.jpg

A set of Modelhaus taillights, some mods to the grille to inset the bars, and it will be time to do the final bodywork.

Big difference, wow...

From the CKM Summer Classic NNL in Clemmons ,NC yesterday.

Picked up two sheets of BMF and a refill of Tamiya 6mm tape from Chip of Xtreme Scale Detail. Prices were great compared to what it would have cost at Hobby Town.

Also picked up the '60 Galaxie 2in1 and a 1/32 late 70's Malibu police car for a possible slot car conversion from two other vendors..

I was vending at the show and had a fairly successful day of sales. Could have bought more but I was happy to go home with less than what I started out with instead of adding to what I already have.

post-12704-0-76659400-1408935453_thumb.j

Edited by VW93

Big difference, wow...

Every little bit helps. That said, I've found out that Jo-Han messed up on a few things, probably due to working from early drawings? What this really turns out to be is an odd mix of Windsor (shorter wheelbase, flush grille, no front fender spears) and New Yorker (trim and emblems, grille bars). Luckily MCG has photoetch grille material that is a very close match for the Windsor, so that and the wheelbase make it an easy choice - it will be a mild custom Windsor.

This. It's missing the Sweathog figures, a headrest, and a steering wheel but for what I paid, I'm not complaining!

CAM02061-vi.jpg

CAM02063-vi.jpg

CAM02064-vi.jpg

CAM02065-vi.jpg

I always heard about that Gran Prix getting turned into the Superfly/Sweathog car (park that one next to the "Fonzie" Monkeemobile!), but I never got a good look at one until these pics. Kinda surprised - they really didn't butcher the body too badly on it - even has the factory badging intact.

How sweet would it be if Round 2 actually restored that tool back to stock? Seems like it would mostly be a matter of recreating the factory-stock front end and getting rid of the open roof. Round 2 has already proven they are capable of doing this sort of thing when they restored the AMT Gremlin.

Of course, this is taking for granted that they still have the tooling. Since it was still in use in the late 70s, I'd wager there's a good chance that they still have this thing in their possession.

Mailman was good today and brought me a Thames panel truck, Datsun off road pick up, and a '57 Chevy convertible. The best part is that they were FREE from IPMS. I just have to build them and write reviews.

I'm going to try and build a street version Thames, some huge tired Datsun, and no idea about the Chevy yet.

I would love to see how the Datsun turns out. I almost bought that kit yesterday! I myself picked up the new Revell '67 Camaro. I also bought 2 different packs of evergreen (one of these days I'm going to make a scratchbuilt hot rod frame darn it!) and two bottles of testors paint.

I have been thinking about getting this kit for sometime now. So I Had my buddy Joe from HTUSA order me up a Lindberg Big Red Rod. I have heard plenty of issues from different people on these. But I still wanted to build a kit of this scale.

I took a pic of it next to my 1/12 camaro box for scale. This thing is huge.

post-13809-0-59738400-1409181775_thumb.j

came home to a hasegawa impreza wrx. Im most impressed by the piece of material inside the kit that is meant to be peeled and stuck to the interior tub as if it were carpet, and for an seemingly older kit, all the windows had paint masks provided for them

It's somewhat older, not as old as say the Legacy Sedan & Wagon kits, but it's been reissued several times over the decade and picked up little improvements here and there like the window masks. Fujimi is spot-running 7 seemingly random 10+ year old kits in September all with new window masks being added into the kits.

Sister sent me a hobby lobby gift card for my bday. Got a tamiya weathering kit (snow, soot, rust), Testors acrylic thinner, Testors gts blue lacquer, Testors gloss clear, some wet sand sandpaper, a black gloss and flat black paint pen. And I think that was all. Oh, and got a set of the pre painted te37s in a brownish paint

I got a new central air conditioning system installed in my home today. The old one died on Monday, during one of the hottest weeks of the year.

So much for my hobby budget....

I've all but given up myself. In the past month I had to replace a pool pump, a board in the pool heater, the compressor in our kitchen refrigerator freezer and now my Caravan is in the shop for complete strut replacement. No way to save money, things just keep breaking!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...