Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Are you going to build what's left of the Olds as a convertible then. I hope so. And I hope post pictures of sport coupe conversion as your doing it. I'm wondering how easy of conversion it will be? Not only do you have change the roof, but the rear deck lid too.

Yes,the Olds will be convertible. If i remember to do so i`ll post some pictures,i have so many projects going at once i dont want to

annoy people on here with slow progress on each one. On my part it is never easy with conversions,but i enjoy the challenge.

Wife wanted to go see a movie today so we went and saw "The Accountant". It was pretty good. IMO  But anyway, there is a Hobby Lobby right across the street so we stopped there and I got these 2 kits. Both with 40 % off. Have another idea for a custom Beetle Bus so I picked up another one.

I got MPC 1988 Fiero, Revell Snaptite 1994? Shinoda Boss Mustang

But the coolest thing I got is the original issue AMT 1957 Thunderbird that came with a can of early '60's Testors PLA enamal blue spray paint with a 57 cent KMart price tag on it, a little 15 cent bottle of Testors black paint (it's still good) an old tube of Testors glue, and a little gray tube of AMTs plastic body filler putty. Neato!

Oh I forgot it also had a 1960 silver dime in the box too!

Edited by MPi-KM

But the coolest thing I got is the original issue AMT 1957 Thunderbird that came with a can of early '60's Testors PLA enamal blue spray paint with a 57 cent KMart price tag on it, a little 15 cent bottle of Testors black paint (it's still good) an old tube of Testors glue, and a little gray tube of AMTs plastic body filler putty. Neato!

that is cool. I like to get the old paint, glue and filler tubes like that. Did the kit still have the small piece of carpet in the box? 

15 cents on the Testor paint would date it to very late '60s or early '70s. I remember when it went from 10c to 11, then 12, then they skipped 13 and went right to 14, and then to 15, and I think that's what it was when I quit building models in 1972 and went off to join Life.

Testor, Pactra, and AMT spray cans were all 69c each the whole time I was using them--1966 to about 1970. That was full metal retail at the hobby shops. Kmart wasn't carrying them then, or we didn't have a Kmart, but 57 cents Kmart price sounds about right for that time period, too.

15 cents on the Testor paint would date it to very late '60s or early '70s...

Yep. Not long ago I found an early 1970s kit at a Flea Market with 2 bottles of 15-cent TESTORS paint inside - 1 green and 1 yellow.  Just out of curiosity, I opened them up, stirred them and brushed a little on some scrap plastic. They seemed to work just fine after all these years.

I'm really glad the original owner never got around to using those paints on the kit. It was a near-mint, completely unbuilt AMT Chevy Van/Open Road Motorhome.

Went to the Hobby Lobby in Paducah, KY last Thursday (we were down there for a family wedding) and picked up the '69 Corvair on the final discount rack for $9.00; oddly they also had a '70 Pontiac convertible that was marked as a store return "missing taillights" for $17.99 - never saw that happen at a HL before (I passed on it).

Sunday night on eBay I got very lucky and scored this '66 Galaxie promo for only one $14.99 bid:

66_galaxie_1.thumb.jpg.017787d1bb8c1e09c

In the words of George Carlin, "caught them cats nappin'!" B) First thing I'll be doing to it is fixing that taildragger stance all these '66 promos have.

Is anyone building a NASCAR or custom version of the '66 kit that won't be using the stock taillights? And is the kit rear bumper same as the promo bumper?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Found this K-mart glue in a builder kit, the little red cap was also a 1/2 inch long applicator as well as a cap. It does not have a price or date but contents smells like its good.

DSC07611

There's a N.O.S. tube on eBay right now, still in the blister pack:

s-l1600.jpg

Found this K-mart glue in a builder kit, the little red cap was also a 1/2 inch long applicator as well as a cap. It does not have a price or date but contents smells like its good.

DSC07611DSC07612

Smells good? I was always told that sniffing glue was bad for you. Destroys brain cells. What are you thinking?

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...