Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "ANYONE-CAN-POLISH-A-DIECAST" story - part II

mrm

So, earlier this year I walk into a hobby shop and I see the GEARS TV / Testors internet contest. Long story short, it sparks the old plastic model kit flame in me and I end up driving almost 800 miles by myself to the Heartland Nationals. I read the classes, the rules and everything and decided to bring about a dozen models with me, the majority of them done some time quite ago. What I noticed different from the last time I have been to a model contest (almost 10 years ago), was a "modified diecast" class. Not only that, but more than one of them. I was in heaven. I have two passions in life when it comes to anything automotive - Ferraris and Street Rods. It is funny, as it is kind of die cast and plastic model kits - two totally different crowds. And now they were under one roof! Amazing!

Here I believe is the time to mention, that a little injustice was done by me toward all the great guys that organized the show. After I came back I made some comments that I was irked about some things. And this is what this story is about. I believe I was misunderstood and left some people with the impression that I was unhappy with the placing of my models. Actually I was very happy with my trophies and the main car that was build for that show placed better than I expected. The part that got me really hot under the skin was a comment made at the end of the show by a couple of people:

ANYONE CAN POLISH A DIECAST - it was addressed squarely at my model, because......well,I commented that I believe it deserved better. Either way, I was not mad at the placing of the model, but the comment.

So, here is the model and the work that went into it, I am not posting it to stir the pond, or just to bitch and moan. I am posting it, because I believe that a lot of modelers out there do not realize the potential there is in diecast models.

It is a Ferrari Mondial 3.2 that was converted from a coupe into a cabriolet.

A Mattel model in 1:18 scale was used as a donor and the first thing done to it was to cut the roof off

p1010200o.jpg

Since the model I was making was a car of someone I know the original rear of the car was different from what I needed, so it had to be "cleaned up"

p1010198e.jpg

p1010201k.jpg

p1010202i.jpg

Edited by mrm

Then, armed with few packs of half-round styrene stock, a bottle CA and patience I started rebuilding the hood blade by blade

p1010370q.jpg

And when that was done, I had to make the US spec third brake light

p1010400k.jpg

p1010405u.jpg

Now it was turn for the grille in the rear bumper to be made the same way

p1010368r.jpg

p1010369t.jpg

And now we had a perfect US Market rear end on the Mondial

p1010407l.jpg

At the front end, the only difference for the US bound Mondials were the two "horns/fangs" in the bumper.

they were made from styrene pieces too

p1010571wk.jpg

But the bigger issue I had with it, was the grille itself. Mattel made a poor effort replicating it as a single photoetched piece, which looks very one dimensional and unrealistic. So I made a new "egg crate" grille from six pieces of aluminum sheet.

p1010567ik.jpg

here they are next to the original grille

p1010570u.jpg

and this is what my new part looks like

p1010563x.jpg

p1010566u.jpg

Next wonderful surprise for me was that the interior were quite different between the coupes and convertibles too. This is ratter unusual car with four seats and mid engine. This means that in order to have room for the folded roof and its mechanism, the interior was narrowed in the rear and I had to do the same on the model.

p1010318c.jpg

p1010319r.jpg

Edited by mrm

Like all this was not enough, the center console on cabrios is different too. And while I was on it, why not spice it up.

p1010317a.jpg

p1010320h.jpg

After scratching my head for a while I figured a way to make a little box with a ball joint inside to make the shifter( a pin) move through the gate, just like the real thing. It even got packed with grease

p1010417.jpg

p1010416f.jpg

p1010415m.jpg

The car that the model was made after has some custom carpets, so after the interior was painted new mats were cut from thin sheet styrene

p1010561z.jpg

After the new mats were painted and flocked they received red wire for piping and some 1:8 scale photoetched emblems painted red to imitate the embroidery on the originals

p1010455h.jpg

p1010456a.jpg

The front seats received backs and we slightly rescraped and their hardware was detailed with bare metal foil

p10104592.jpg

p1010457ar.jpg

a new "armrest" was also made from styrene to go in between the rear seats

p1010457ar.jpg

and the door panels were also painted and detailed

dsc0535j.jpg

Meanwhile the "folded roof" and its frame were made from styrene skeleton and miliput

p1010423cf.jpg

p1010424lx.jpg

and the dash was also repainted and detailed. It also received a steering wheel from a Ferrari 308GTS

p1010448o.jpg

after that all the body panels were sanded down and primed for paint.

p1010548g.jpg

The rear seats, or what was left from the original part, were massaged to look like the real convertible ones

p1010461n.jpg

They were also painted and test fit

p1010465h.jpg

Next everything received three coats of rosso corsa and three coats of clear, after which all the black parts were done

p1010442.jpg

At this point the bumpers were reassembled too

p1010439n.jpg

and the front grille received a nice little cavallino

p1010441k.jpg

The engine bay may have been enough for some people, but I hated it, so I decided to redo it

p1010315w.jpg

Some more accurate material in some more accurate locations were placed

p1010361h.jpg

The main eyesore for me was the injection distributor, which on the original mode was represented by bunch of black wires coming out of a hole. So I rebuilt it and used brass for all the tubes that go to the plenum and used some braided wire for the fuel lines and some photoetched boltheads painted brass to detail it

p1010363a.jpg

p1010364p.jpg

Then the lines were run through 1:24 scale ignition wire looms, to keep things organized.

p1010365d.jpg

and this is what I ended up with, which is definitely a big improvement over the original model

p1010454v.jpg

p10104532.jpg

Next I had to reproduce the cover/boot that dresses the folded roof. I have found out that the vinyl self adhesive patches that are sold in any Walmart for repairing umbrellas and backpacks, are perfect for replicating the texture of convertible tops. So templates were made from paper and then transferred on black vinyl pieces, which then had wire glued to their edges. This provided me with the perfect preliminary boot, with wire outline to keep it staying in any position I liked. later it was dressed in second layer of self adhesive vinyl, which was painted same color as the interior.

dsc0519e.jpg

dsc0521m.jpg

dsc0522f.jpg

dsc0523k.jpg

All the newly tailored pieces were then stretched over the "folded roof" and little pins were used to hold down the corners. When their heads are painted black, they look just like the buttons that hold the boot on the real car

dsc0524r.jpg

dsc0525z.jpg

dsc0526p.jpg

dsc0527i.jpg

dsc0528i.jpg

Wow, that's some polish job, using a saw and all... I'm looking forward to further installments of this one. The clown that made the comment obviously didn't have a clue! :lol:

Well, see, the model does have one hell of a polish job, but the real slap in the face was, that the comment was made by someone who participated in the judging and the model had very nicely printed description of everything done to it. The very first line on that description was "made famous by Al Pacino in the movie scent of a woman" and it wasn't even included in the models qualifying for the theme of the show, which was cars from movies. Honestly, I could not care less what place this model came in, but this makes me think, that no one even cared to take a look at it, as it is a die cast. And anyone can polish one.

There is going to be part two and three to this story, which will include two more models, that were not there at all.

Edited by mrm

Your work is too good! :) They thought they were looking at a model produced by an assembly line and obviously they didn't read the description. Great job on the car. I always wanted to drive one, so we rented one of these while on vacation in Hawaii. What year is this one?

Robert

There's no way they took into consideration all the work you put into that. That's a beautifully done model and working with (modifying) die cast is no easy task. Without seeing what else was on the table, I would have to agree that you got the shaft there. That car is amazing!!