Model Cars Magazine Forum

KW in the shop for service/repairs.

What's goin' on...

Here's what I started w/!

(SKROLL DOWN FOR THE LATEST WIP PICS 9.21.08)

2810835603_8862e77213.jpg

2811683552_30c834a143.jpg

Here's the recon chassis. (Should've taken a pic of it stripped)

The chassis was painted w/ Tamiya matte black.

If you noticed the tires were left on the truck while submerged in the (CSC) that's because they too were being cleaned up. And cleaned up THEY ARE!!! The degreaser cleaned them up flawlessly. Once dried I saned the crown and shoulders on the tires to remove any rubber flash and to give a weathered/driven look.

The chrome was all stripped off the rims (from the Paystar 5000 dump kit). The holes were bored out and the back sides of these holes were ground down so the thickness of the rims look proportioned to scale. Next the molded on lugnuts were cut off flush w/ an exacto knife. (That needless to say hurts like a son of a b...... when it rolls off the work surface and land on your foot blade down) Using a pin vice I drilled out the holes for the 10 lug nuts then painted the rims white (Tamiya pure white) While the rims were drying I painted some scale bolts matte black made by Grandt Line. After both rims /bolts dried I installed the scale bolts in the rims and they turned out flawless!!!

2819396292_e2d7947856.jpg

Unlike the chassis the cab/hood took longer to strip.

Once it stripped the hood was infested w/ what looked like porosity and a wood grain look. (I bought this kit sealed in 2002 and don't remember this problem then and then in 2004 when it was repainted). I've found that dipping model pieces in 100% acetone in a round about way tempers the plastic if left in too long it'll destroy the piece as well. So I submerged for about 3 seconds and then ran cold water over it to cool the plastic. That cleared up some of the wood grain effect.

2818551219_ccefa28174.jpg

Next I painted the hood w/ Tamiya Bare Metal Silver sanding it all off after it dried. I'm going to do this one coat at a time until the sureface is true enough to spray a complete base coat.

2819396690_982be994b8_o.jpg

Now for the second coat thatoo will get sanded down once it's set up. Of course this is trial and error. If it doesn't work then I have a donor chassis ready to go!

2818728829_19cea91a35_o.jpg

Thanks for lookin and any interest in this.

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

Looks like one of those trucks from Ice Road Truckers :lol:

Gabriel.

Now aint that the funniest thing......it looks like one of the trucks that I had seen caught in a flood back in Montreal in 1987. All you need is a little car behind him with its butt in the air caused by the waves the Big Rig was causing.

You should post a pic of the rig woth the bottom half paintless

What's goin' on...

Since posting last I've primed and sanded the hood twice here's where it's at now. All the scratches, pin holes, and cracks are 99% flush now. It'll get one last coat of primer and sanded (lightly) then it's ready for paint.

Thanks for lookin and any interest in this.

2826856380_7daa96e78b.jpg

What's goin' on...

After spraying on one coat at a time and sanding it I'm finally content w/ the way it turned out! I decided that this will be a partial curb side (the hood has been mounted solid everything under the hood will still be detailed) The decals are some trucking logos found online modified and printed on Bare Metal Foil decal paper. Some minor damage happened to the cab from a little over aggressive handling while sanding can be seen but I don't care about that. This isn't going to be shown at any contests this is just a half ass (maybe three-quaters) cosmetic clean up job.

Thanks for looking!!!

2853523727_0e6bd92956_b.jpg

What's goin' on...

Last night I scratchbuilt a headache rack. Made from Plastruct 1:48 Diamond Plate and other pieces from Evergreen Scale styrene. On top is the light bar found in the Polar Lights Ghostbusters Caddy kit. The lens' are painted w/ turn signal amber yellow and the center is covered w/ Bare Metal Foil. The chains I found at Hobby Lobby in the craft jewelery section (in my opinion they are a perfect 25th scale 3/8 inch chain. Also added are scratch built mud flaps (not too much effort put into them) All they are ... are .020 black Evergreen Scale ( GREAT STUFF TO WORK W/!!!) sheet styrene cut to 24in x 36in w/ Fruehauf decals from the AMT Texaco tanker kit. (FYI driver's will hang mud flaps on the racks so the chains aren't smacking the rack thus reducing the noise and premature wear to the rack)

As is the cab is just mocked on the chassis so it looks like the rack is too tall.

Thanks for looking and any interest ya'll might have in this project!!!

2858501786_c276805d42_b.jpg

B) robert81, My brother is a heavy deisel mechanic with about 40 yrs of expierience, an about as many state certifications, He's 65(ten years oldern me) an THAT ol Fart can easy pick up one of those wheels AND rims an get it up there!He will say somethin stoopid like" Don't use yer muscles, use yer brains!" But he was in the Marine Corps too, an I thought they used up his brains! Either way, he LOVES his work an I don't see him retirein anytime soon. He'll probly have a heart attack or somethin doin somethin stupid on them big a$$ed trucks.But he does love it! BTW Great lookin truck, ain't it?! :(