Model Cars Magazine Forum

Repsol/Rossi Honda

Mike

I decided it was time for something with two wheels. I fell in love with the paint scheme on this (yeah I've got wierd taste) and ordered the kit from my LHS. Here's where I'm at now. If you haven't built a Tamiya motorcycle kit, this one anyway, is an absolute gem.

DSC03368.jpg

DSC03431.jpg

DSC03432.jpg

Edited by Mike

Mike that looks great. I bought the same kit about 6 months ago for the same reason as you, wanted to do something on two wheels. I worked on it a little but I'm pretty intimidated by a step on this bike and maybe you can help me. The wheels... They call for some crazy fluorecent orange color which is cool with me. The problem is I can't figure out how to spray the wheels to get an even coverage. Being a car guy when I spray a wheel I only have to do the part you can see... the front. I was thinking about maybe a dowl rod and some white glue but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW In my opinion one of the coolest things on this kit are the molded in weld seams on the frame. Wow does it look good. It doesn't take much to make me happy. B) Again nice work Mike. -Will

Edited by Willy Survive

Mike that looks great. I bought the same kit about 6 months ago for the same reason as you, wanted to do something on two wheels. I worked on it a little but I'm pretty intimidated by a step on this bike and maybe you can help me. The wheels... They call for some crazy fluorecent orange color which is cool with me. The problem is I can't figure out how to spray the wheels to get an even coverage. Being a car guy when I spray a wheel I only have to do the part you can see... the front. I was thinking about maybe a dowl rod and some white glue but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW In my opinion one of the coolest things on this kit are the molded in weld seams on the frame. Wow does it look good. It doesn't take much to make me happy. B) Again nice work Mike. -Will

Hey Willy - The wheels are a snap. The hard part is removing the seam lines (minimal) but if you have a flexi-file, it'll be a snap (I didn't at the time). Painting the wheels is easy. I used an airbrush, and standard Tamiya orange (x-6 I believe)over white primer as it turned out very close to the right color, and the flourescent yellow, I'm using Tamiya Lemon Yellow (stock paint at your LHS) and it turns out as bright. Anyway, back to the wheels. I clamped the ridge on the outside where the wheels mount as you won't see them anyway. From there, I just misted orange around it from all angles and got even coverage. Do the same if you have a rattle can. Another small challenge is putting the decals on the wheels. Any more questions, give me a shout! B)

DSC03401.jpg

DSC03374.jpg

Edited by Mike

Hey Willy - The wheels are a snap. The hard part is removing the seam lines

You could have left the line - the wheels are forged magnesium and have a parting line on the real things - but not all contest judges would know that B) They're also powder-coated in real life, so I like to give them a super-heavy coat of paint to get that same look on the model. You've nailed it on this model.

I think your paint choices will look great, as the Tamiya decals aren't as flourescent as some of the aftermarket versions of this paint job. Flourescents don't come across in photography anyway so I think your colors will better represent the way the bike looked on TV and in print.

I think Tamiya bike kits are great - large-scale detail and engineering at a fraction of the cost of their large-scale car kits - easier to display, too!

Did you use some sort of carbon-fiber effect on the gas tank and seat support? It looks spot-on!

Edited by Brett Barrow

You could have left the line - the wheels are forged magnesium and have a parting line on the real things - but not all contest judges would know that :blink: They're also powder-coated in real life, so I like to give them a super-heavy coat of paint to get that same look on the model. You've nailed it on this model.

I think your paint choices will look great, as the Tamiya decals aren't as flourescent as some of the aftermarket versions of this paint job. Flourescents don't come across in photography anyway so I think your colors will better represent the way the bike looked on TV and in print.

I think Tamiya bike kits are great - large-scale detail and engineering at a fraction of the cost of their large-scale car kits - easier to display, too!

Did you use some sort of carbon-fiber effect on the gas tank and seat support? It looks spot-on!

Thanks for the tips. :( This is a box-stock build, so nothing other than what came with the kit is on it. No CF decals. You've obviously build a couple of these by the sounds of it. :lol:

Good googely moogely. Thats awesome. I can't wait to get to this point on mine. Turns out I need like 15 bottles of Tamiya paint for this build. The colors it calls for aren't even close to anything I have. But it looks like its gonna be worth it to me Mike. Great job man. Can't wait to see little Valentino climb on her and hit 200 mph. :lol: Great build. -Will