Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mopar steel wheels

Here is a set Mopar steel wheels and caps, these were made by Jacen (Futurabat), he sent these to me and asked me if I would tell him what I think. I am not a resin expert, but these are very nice wheels, very little clean is needed to use them.

mw1.jpg

mw2.jpg

mw3.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

They look nice to me, too. The big issues I look for in wheel castings are air bubbles on the lug nuts (usually obliterating the nut) and around the rim - those are the hardest places for me to cast and/or repair. Are these done in a two piece mold or are the holes solid?

I cant answer how he molded them, but I can tell that the holes are not solid , I just did not clean out the flash yet, and the lug nuts are nice and crisp

I however, can answer that. Yes they are done in a two piece mold. To me that's the only way to do them. Should a casting not come out full, it is ground into powder and used as a filler for other castings. This not only saves on wasted resin but keeps down cost. I also tend to give five castings. I mean hey...most cars have a spare right? ;)

As one of the newer casters on the scene, I can tell you this- if there is a void or surface bubble in one of my castings...it will not ship.

Thanks Jacen. Yes, two piece only makes sense, and I thought they were. Very nice casting!

Lordy I wish you'd do these in 1/16th.

I love those Po-Leece wheels and dog dishes!

I actually had a set of weld wheels on my 1:1 69 Roadrunner, sold them off and put on some Po-Po wheels, trim rings, & dog-dishes.

The rears were widened a bit, the caps covered the 3" wheel studs, and the trim rings covered up the bead locking screws.

Along with the 383 badges on the AirGrabber "vents" it made quite a sleeper.

I really would love to see these in the bigger scale but I sure wouldn't mind a set or two in the little scale for a Yohan/AMT 69 RR and a Cuda I have laying around.

Where can I get me some Mr. Bat?