Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1/32 1976 Ford Granada

Maindrian Pace

After a few years of auction watching, I gathered up all three Lindberg 1/32 '70s Fords; the Granada, Monarch, and Thunderbird. I Started with the Granada, the other two will be coming later. It didn't make any sense to do a build thread on a kit with 25 parts, so here's the last page of the story.

P8240097_zps4bb8404e.jpg

P8240101_zps2626fcb1.jpg

P8240102_zps4e484895.jpg

P8240098_zpsb7888c46.jpg

P8240096_zpsc195e371.jpg

P8240111_zps7a7996f5.jpg

These Lindberg '70s American car kits are all nice little units, well proportioned and reasonably accurate bodies with minimalist interiors and little else. But it's rare to see one built and detailed, they mainly go into the collector stashes. The Granada started as a box of light yellow plastic with a light tan interior insert. The interior had no side panels, so you would see the inside of the body looking through the windows. I made the side panels - no detail, just to carry the interior color to the sides.

Wheels were swapped for the Magnum 500s from the Monogram '69 Charger kit, (optional on Granadas in the day) and those whitewall decals are the very first set made in 1:32 scale by Vinyl Nation. Darrell didn't offer them, so I asked if he could make them, he said "Sure", I gave him the specs, and there you are. Great product he offers. Paint is Model Master Italian red base/clear lacquer rubbed with a polishing kit and Treatment wax, roof is Classic white without the clear, interior is white primer, carpets brush painted red, and the whole assembly semi-gloss cleared. The white rub strips in the middle of the side trim are self-adhesive model airplane Monocote cut into strips with a straight edge. You really haven't lived until you've BMF'ed a 1/32 car with a lot of trim, at least the Monarch will go faster.

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Mike , that is one spectacular 1976 Granada !! The 'Magnum 500' wheels look spot-on .

I've wanted one of the Monarch kits since they were new !!

In spring , 1976 , my parents bought a new 1976 Monarch 2 door ( Ghia 'package' , 351W two barrel , A/C , etc. , etc. ) . It was silver metallic with a silver 1/4 vinyl top , and 'cranberry' red bucket / console interior .

The dealership had those Lindberg Monarch kits available through thier parts department ( almost 40 years later , and I can still see that display behind the parts counter !!). I wanted one in the worse way . My pleas and beggings went unrequited ( :( ).

Now , it's on the "the 'bay" , in search of one of these 32nd scale Monarchs !

Thanks everyone, this was a fun stress-reliever between bigger builds.

Mike , that is one spectacular 1976 Granada !! The 'Magnum 500' wheels look spot-on .

I've wanted one of the Monarch kits since they were new !!

In spring , 1976 , my parents bought a new 1976 Monarch 2 door ( Ghia 'package' , 351W two barrel , A/C , etc. , etc. ) . It was silver metallic with a silver 1/4 vinyl top , and 'cranberry' red bucket / console interior .

The dealership had those Lindberg Monarch kits available through thier parts department ( almost 40 years later , and I can still see that display behind the parts counter !!). I wanted one in the worse way . My pleas and beggings went unrequited ( :( ).

Now , it's on the "the 'bay" , in search of one of these 32nd scale Monarchs !

John,

Funny you should mention the 1/4 top, both the Granada and the Monarch come with full tops (and some pretty deep sink marks in the front fenders):

P8110050_zpsd52720fb.jpg

I wanted to differentiate the Monarch, so I added trim and sanded the vinyl off of the front of the roof to make the 1/2 top:

P8110051_zpsd6df399a.jpg

And believe it or not, I was planning silver with maroon interior and top. The Monarch will take longer, because it isn't exactly accurate. Monarchs used different fiberglass front header panels, headlights, taillights, grilles, and marker lights. Lindberg just changed the scripts and rear trim panel, tooled up a new grille, and called it a day. It comes with the incorrect Granada headlights, and since they retained the Granada header panel, the grille was made to fit the hole, and is too narrow. So some plasticology will have to take place there.

-Mike

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Thanks for posting this. I owned an '80 Granada ESS two-door coupe. It was one of the last of the original body-style Granadas. It was Silver-Gray Metallic with a matching Vinyl landau top. It had the basket weave 15" wheels a Burgundy interior. In my opinion it was one of the best looking cars that I ever owned. I kept it for 5 years and traded it in on an '86 Ford Mustang 5.0 ragtop(mid-life crisis upon turning 40). Well done on your build. Adios, Larry.

Neat. I had one of those Monarchs when I was a kid. In fact I had pretty much all those 1/32 Lindbergs. Then I sold them all because I wanted all my models in the same (1/25th) scale. Yours is the nicest one I've every seen built.

Edited by S. Svendsen