Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra

JTRACING

Looks mighty nice James! The color is flawless!

Is this the Monogram or the Fujimi kit you're building?

Your flocking (embossing powder it take it?) for the carpet looks great!

One of the builds I have planned for late this year is a Cobra............I'm torn as to which one-------a 427 like yours, Harold Bradford's Daytona Coupe kit, or a nice little 289. :huh:

Sweet! Both James and Cal.

James, the black roll bar suggests you are building a race car. Are you using the windscreen or the full windshield? But then you flocked the floor, so maybe not? The wash on the engine really brings out the details. I notice from your shots that the flange on the valve covers looks awful thick. I hadn't noticed that on mine. Now I need to dig them out to check if they are the same. Easy to fix with a file tho'. Is there some particular reason you are not using the airbox around the carb? The hood scoop is worthless without the airbox to keep high pressure air around the carb. "Aluminum" heads too huh? The tonneau snaps look great up close.

Cal, which way are you building yours? Street or race? I see the tonneau cover on it. Like the touch on the passenger floor.

These brought up a memory of the mid 70s when a friend was kicking himself for having decided to NOT buy a 427 Cobra when he came home from 'Nam in '67. He was at the dealer with his wife with the cash (somewhere a little over $6,000) to buy one, but decided that a Cobra would be a poor investment and they should be practical. He and his wife had bought a house for $25,000 just before he got drafted. At the time in the 70s, they had just sold the house for just over $50,000 and bought another for $60,000. We were looking at a magazine article which talked of Cobras being worth somewhere over $50,000 at the time. The Cobra turned out to be a much better investment!

Sweet! Both James and Cal.

James, the black roll bar suggests you are building a race car. Are you using the windscreen or the full windshield? But then you flocked the floor, so maybe not? The wash on the engine really brings out the details. I notice from your shots that the flange on the valve covers looks awful thick. I hadn't noticed that on mine. Now I need to dig them out to check if they are the same. Easy to fix with a file tho'. Is there some particular reason you are not using the airbox around the carb? The hood scoop is worthless without the airbox to keep high pressure air around the carb. "Aluminum" heads too huh? The tonneau snaps look great up close.

Cal, which way are you building yours? Street or race? I see the tonneau cover on it. Like the touch on the passenger floor.

These brought up a memory of the mid 70s when a friend was kicking himself for having decided to NOT buy a 427 Cobra when he came home from 'Nam in '67. He was at the dealer with his wife with the cash (somewhere a little over $6,000) to buy one, but decided that a Cobra would be a poor investment and they should be practical. He and his wife had bought a house for $25,000 just before he got drafted. At the time in the 70s, they had just sold the house for just over $50,000 and bought another for $60,000. We were looking at a magazine article which talked of Cobras being worth somewhere over $50,000 at the time. The Cobra turned out to be a much better investment!

Thanks,

I started with the King Cobra, but I am doing a car I worked on once upon a time - or at least that was the inspiration, however it was an oddball Cobra. It was said to be a special order 1 of 1 built (a million dollar car back then in the late 80s when I worked on it). It was a race car all it's life, but looked like a street car. It was a 427 SOHC with a Hilborn FI. I have no idea how they got it in there! Half the valve covers and heads sat under the fenders. You could just barely wiggle the valve covers off to do a valve adjustment. I figured they must have put the engine on the frame and then the body last becaue with the head studs there was no way of getting the heads off with the engine in the car and no way of getting the engine out through the hood opening.

The car was just red with white stripes and no other racing identification. I will probably striaghten out the stripes though as the real car the stripes were painted on crooked... You'd think that they would get them striaght on a million dollar car.

The thing was scary. Fast! but had the puniest brakes on it and didn't stop for ######. The guy vintage raced it a couple times before blowing up the motor, which was hurt when we updated the car for safety: fire system, new oil pan, $8,000 worth of new wheels and tires, rebuilt the axles and brakes, added the quick jack mounts, ... I knew it wasn't going to last long because when we put a new oil pan on it I discovered that it had blown up before and patched back together: the inside of the block rods, bottom of the pistons and crank all had the tell-tailed signs of a rod letting go. Someone had just gone in and deburred the nicks and patched it back together enough so it'd run - probably so they could sell it because the guy that we were doing the work for just bought it from somewhere out on the East coast. New York or Jersy, I don't remember any more. I am not sure what ever happened to it after it blew up the second time, but the motor was really done after that.

What a pain in the arse to work on: five million miles of safety wire on everthing, which took specail tools, hardware, wire and patients to do even the simplest tasks. You couldn't even get it up on jackstands easily with all the big diameter tube frame. It had a tendancy to slide off the stands if you didn't raise all four corners at the same time.

That's my Cobra experience, I don't know how we ever got talked into working on that thing. It looked good sitting in the shop and drew a lot of attention, especially on test drives, but otherwise a bigger headach than it was worth.

Edited by CAL

got some more done

IMGP0607copy.jpg

IMGP0617copy.jpg

IMGP0625copy.jpg

Looks mighty nice James! The color is flawless!

Is this the Monogram or the Fujimi kit you're building?

Your flocking (embossing powder it take it?) for the carpet looks great!

One of the builds I have planned for late this year is a Cobra............I'm torn as to which one-------a 427 like yours, Harold Bradford's Daytona Coupe kit, or a nice little 289. :)

thanks! ya I use the embossing powder! and this is the revell kit.

I like the 289 also that would be a good choice!