Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Post, here's my first model, my dream Hemi cuda.

Mrdarkmonkey96

Well there's a lot of firsts involved here... First model...first time using using a spray gun....first post here....etc. Yes, I used a spray gun to paint this baby...my airbrush was being a diva, and we had the gun out and spitting paint anyways for another project.... Here's what came out from our weekend of craziness and paint fumes.. Since this was built in the winter, I used acrylics in my room, for EVERYTHING except the body. I attempted to give the engine a greasy oily look by applying a wash over the blaze orange I used. You can kinda see it peeking through. f0d25f895c4f464bb04844bc9b9494d1_zps7d3c41cc2b9ec7a0cea9cb7b48925218b508_zps106f No pictures of the right side of the car, as I ripped the HEMI decal, and I'm embarrassed of it. 29f22d74b8107a8b841b4fb413e8f0d1_zpsba54b9a7dccb95873e3017d993ebe8da3126_zps42be Also first time doing waterslide decals... MAN! I did not like those... 231ade0f010bbfd9bef9b290c131bffe_zps4ca1b4b9473e2225353b4315bc88fd7baf7b_zps1724cfe213263c36630771933f102b10403e_zps6d78 So as i mentioned we were already spitting paint with the spray gun, and here's the 1:1 project I was doing in the same color. adfc483b78b53260f7a9e17288eaf18c_zpsa2f47ee33379a85ecfbd60ed3db68c19eec4_zps4af5 Thanks for checkin out my first project! e4ead5112096f8be1c9135e7c4be2e89_zps2958

Your first model looks purity sharp!!! From what I can see with a paint job with a spray gun, your airbrush work will be awesome!!! Keep on building, it gets addicting!!!

Your first model looks purity sharp!!! From what I can see with a paint job with a spray gun, your airbrush work will be awesome!!! Keep on building, it gets addicting!!!

Thanks so much, it really does mean a lot! I have a badger model 100 with a medium needle and head, and a large needle and head. My medium one always gets clogged with acrylics, but now that it's warmer Im making the switch to lacquers, and my local body shop even gave me can of some leftover Deltron silver paint, which is color matched to fords silver! I'm working on a two tone 64 impala right now, and a 77 gmc wrecker I just have to paint.

I also think it had to do with the paint I was using. It was duplicolor candy system. Silver metal flake base with orange candy, and I sprayed the clear really thick, and wetsanded with 100 grit and buffed waxed and polished the heck out of it. It's not perfect, but it came out pretty good I think.

Edited by Mrdarkmonkey96

Welcome to MCM. Your first model looks way nicer than my first. Cool tractor/mower. That last pic was a bit of a surprise :)
haha thanks, I've got some videos on my youtube about it.. It's kind of a side project/ resto-mod. And yeah...the paint fumes were starting to get to me and my buddy.... I won't put you through seeing the rest of them.. I'll just say fire, farm diesel, large tractors, and semi races were involved.....

Very nice job for your first model. I really like the color.
Thanks! I was originally going to do green, since it was a John deere tractor, but the tint was more emeraldsish then John deere green in candy form.. So I went with orange.. And I'm glad I Did! Thanks for the compliments!

Just the normal stuff! :o
I don't really understand what this was directed to.. Thanks for looking thougH!

If this is your first model, you seem to have a decent grasp of how things work. I would've assumed that Dupli-Color paint, sprayed in that kind of volume, would've etched the plastic. I'm guessing you either did some great mist coats or you had a great primer on there. That said, it's hard to argue with the results when the color looks like that.

Don't take this as me talking down to you, but be careful with those 1:1 automotive paints around styrene plastic. Test your mix on some of the empty sprues (parts trees) from the same kit before you spray the body.

I agree with the others - having seen what you can do with a spray gun, I can't wait to see what you can do with an airbrush.

Edited by Monty

If this is your first model, you seem to have a decent grasp of how things work. I would've assumed that Dupli-Color paint, sprayed in that kind of volume, would've etched the plastic. I'm guessing you either did some great mist coats or you had a great primer on there. That said, it's hard to argue with the results when the color looks like that.

Don't take this as me talking down to you, but be careful with automotive paints around styrene plastic. Test it on some of the empty sprues (parts trees) from the same kit before you spray the body.

I agree with the others - having seen what you can do with a spray gun, I can't wait to see what you can do with an airbrush.

Thanks! And yes to both on the mist coats and primer. I used a 2 coats duplicolor adhesion promoter, then a LIGHT fog of duplicolor primer, through the gun. Ten let it sit for a night. Then I misted the silver for about 3 coats. Then built it up with one wet coat, let it cure overnight. The next day I taped off the stripe, and sprayed the candy like normal. It etched a little in on spot on the roof when I sprayed the clear really wet, but It's very very small.

And I have a close friend that owns the body shop where I'm apprenticing, and he told me the same thing with the plastic etching..

Thanks for lookin!

Very nice work on your first model. Keep on building.

Thanks! Doctor Crankies videos were a TON of help. I watch usually 10 to 12 videos, and do a ton of reading articles and such for something I've never done before before I attempt it, which really helps. Plus I've been doing spray painting for years, starting with nerf guns, then into street art type deals, (not graffiti), then moving into models and 1:1 scale.

You mean the hemi stripes? I'm fairly uneducated with the terms and such of modeling.. Thanks for the compliments!
Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

Car looks very nice. Don't feel bad about messing up a decal. I would bet most if not all the guys here have messed up a decal at one time. I know I have. : )

Thanks! And yeah I didn't really want to put em on in the first place but I'm a die hard mopar guy so I couldn't help myself..I'm actually amazed how smooth I got them! No Microsol or Microset or micro- whatever was used. Just a paintbrush with water.

Nice work on your first model ! Looks better than my first five.

The Orange Deere is awesome. Do you have some chrome wheels for it ?

Nope, just some 22 inch ATV tires in the back... Front ones off an old Honda rincon I think, and some type of aggressive tire and the original rear rims, are on the front. It's also got 7 inch pulleys front and rear... So it does about 15mph and the transaxles locked into a posi.