Model Cars Magazine Forum

Renault 4L from Heller and Ebbro

Luc Janssens

They use them for hunting in the Dordogne. Unroadworthy R4s can be seen for sale bearing signs "pour la chasse" and they end their lives carrying 4 drunk shotgun armed french hunters round the woods in pursuit of deer and boar.

Cheers for the heads-up! It's about time that there was a kit of this. The description says that there are only 88 pieces though, but I hope it is full detail like Heller's earlier old / classic car kits. Btw, some definite good news is that several more of their old ones are being re-released - the Hispano Suiza K6, Bugatti T50 and Delahaye 135 :)

Cheers for the heads-up! It's about time that there was a kit of this. The description says that there are only 88 pieces though, but I hope it is full detail like Heller's earlier old / classic car kits. Btw, some definite good news is that several more of their old ones are being re-released - the Hispano Suiza K6, Bugatti T50 and Delahaye 135 :)

The Renault 4 CV is only 88 pieces and it has an engine and everything else you'd expect.

Whaaaa? I didn't even think Heller was still tooling up new stuff...and that 4L is awesome! Cool beans.

They weren't for a while, when they went under along with Airfix and Humbrol, Heller was split off and placed into receivership by the French government while Airfix and Humbrol went into receivership in the UK. Airfix and Humbrol were bought almost immediately by Hornby, while it took a few years to get a buyer for Heller, but French toy company Joustra eventually acquired them about a year or so ago. The man now in charge of Heller is a relatively young guy, in his early 30's, he interned at Tamiya in Japan and helped with the design and tooling of some of their recent super-kits like the 1/32 Spitfire IX and P-51D. He seems very ambitious about doing new tooling at Heller.

They weren't for a while, when they went under along with Airfix and Humbrol, Heller was split off and placed into receivership by the French government while Airfix and Humbrol went into receivership in the UK. Airfix and Humbrol were bought almost immediately by Hornby, while it took a few years to get a buyer for Heller, but French toy company Joustra eventually acquired them about a year or so ago. The man now in charge of Heller is a relatively young guy, in his early 30's, he interned at Tamiya in Japan and helped with the design and tooling of some of their recent super-kits like the 1/32 Spitfire IX and P-51D. He seems very ambitious about doing new tooling at Heller.

Thanks for the insight Brett. Sounds like good news for those liking out-of-stream kits.

Agreed - I don't see Heller making something like a Yugo. However, if the R4 is a success, then perhaps we can hope that the next old car that they do in 1:24 will be that other French automotive icon, the Citroen DS. A Facel Vega would be fantastic, but sadly probably not mainstream enough...

Agreed - I don't see Heller making something like a Yugo. However, if the R4 is a success, then perhaps we can hope that the next old car that they do in 1:24 will be that other French automotive icon, the Citroen DS. A Facel Vega would be fantastic, but sadly probably not mainstream enough...

A Facel Vega is my dream kit. Ma's Resin was supposed to be working on one in resin. Love to see one in mainstream plastic.

However, if the R4 is a success, then perhaps we can hope that the next old car that they do in 1:24 will be that other French automotive icon, the Citroen DS.

I'm surprised that Heller hadn't done a DS in 1/24 scale. They did so in large scale. From the description of the new Heller, anything is possible!