Model Cars Magazine Forum

How can I buy Revell enamel paints?

Here are few places, but none seem to be in the US, Revell paint is not marketed for the US, so you have to import it ,or check out the last link which is a Humbrol conversion chart for Revell paint

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/model-kits/paints/revell-paints.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/revell-paint

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/paints-glues/revell/enamel/

http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/revell/RevellPaints.htm

http://www.humbrol.com/convert-to-humbrol/conversion-tables/

Edited by martinfan5

It's made for them by Humbrol, but not all of the colors are direct conversions. The formulation is pretty much the same, though.

I don't know about their car kits, but Revell Germany doesn't have the best reputation for accuracy with color call-outs with their airplane models (I'm assuming you have a Revell Germany kit and want to follow their painting recommendations), so it might be best to do your own color research and use what you can get locally, and just ignore what they say in the first place.

It's made for them by Humbrol, but not all of the colors are direct conversions. The formulation is pretty much the same, though.

I don't know about their car kits, but Revell Germany doesn't have the best reputation for accuracy with color call-outs with their airplane models (I'm assuming you have a Revell Germany kit and want to follow their painting recommendations), so it might be best to do your own color research and use what you can get locally, and just ignore what they say in the first place.

Learned something new, so Revell paint is basically Humbrol paint?

I'm assuming you have a Revell Germany kit and want to follow their painting recommendations

I like the fact that the paint is made by Humbrol since I've been using their paints for decades. I've heard mostly good things about RoG kits, but I don't own any. As far as paint recommendations go, I've found that a Google search is generally more accurate than most instruction sheet call-outs.

I'm mostly interested in these (particularly the "silk" paints) because they offer shades that aren't readily available here.

Edited by Monty

Learned something new, so Revell paint is basically Humbrol paint?

I like the fact that the paint is made by Humbrol since I've been using their paints for decades. I've heard mostly good things about RoG kits, but I don't own any. As far as paint recommendations go, I've found that a Google search is generally more accurate than most instruction sheet call-outs.

I'm mostly interested in these (particularly the "silk" paints) because they offer shades that aren't readily available here.

Well, I don't know if it's a case of them being made by Humbrol, or made by the folks that make Humbrol for Humbrol...

You can get them out of Europe, but they'll have to be shipped by a surface-only shipping method, and not a lot of places offer that to the US.

Well, I don't know if it's a case of them being made by Humbrol, or made by the folks that make Humbrol for Humbrol...

You can get them out of Europe, but they'll have to be shipped by a surface-only shipping method, and not a lot of places offer that to the US.

Looks like I get another chance to learn something new. I've always assumed that Humbrol made their own paint a la Testors (again, I assume). If they don't, who makes it for them?

Yeah, it looks like it'd be tough to get anything out of Europe, but one of Jonathan's links is for a place in Australia that apparently will ship solvent-based paints here. Shipping will be around $16.00 - not that much more than the $12.00 shipping that goes with most ebay kit buys.

Looks like I get another chance to learn something new. I've always assumed that Humbrol made their own paint a la Testors (again, I assume). If they don't, who makes it for them?

Yeah, it looks like it'd be tough to get anything out of Europe, but one of Jonathan's links is for a place in Australia that apparently will ship solvent-based paints here. Shipping will be around $16.00 - not that much more than the $12.00 shipping that goes with most ebay kit buys.

That's what I meant, I'm not 100% sure either way, but I believe it's a case of who makes Humbrol for Humbrol. Humbrol recently moved their enamel production from China back to the UK, the general consensus within the industry is that its made by either Rustins or ColArt which both have facilities in London (we know by shipping labels it comes out of London, while Humbrol/Hornby's main facility is in Margate, Kent). I'm pretty sure Humbrol has been a brand that had its manufacturing sourced out for them for many years (since becoming part of the International Borden Group, back in the 70's, IIRC, possibly even before that).