Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Box Stock" 49 ford.

Brian_B

I know this may be boring to many of you with the excellent builders I have seen around here.

Just trying to get back into the hobby. These kits and parts have shrunk since I was a kid. :lol:

I have the body mostly cleaned up. I know I have some putty work and a lot more sanding to do before primer.

I have the frame cleaned up. I have the interior bucket cleaned up. Not sure how much putty work and sanding will need to be done there yet.

I started assembling the flathead V8 and the rear end this evening.

This will be a slow process. :P

post-10388-0-67337000-1346487340_thumb.j

Box stock Shoe Box; nothing wrong with that. Some of the nicest builds around here are box stock, or showroom stock. Just do a search on "Cruz" for some great examples.

Good luck with your project and welcome back. The fingers may be fatter, but there's so many tools, aftermarket goodies and paints these days that weren't available back in the day. You'll have a ball.

Hi guys,

This have been hectic around here. icon_sad.gif

I have a light coat of gray primer on the body. There will be some body work, but not as much as I expected. I will get it under some bright light tomorrow when its dry.

I have the underside of the floorboards painted with red primer, which was common for fords of this era. When it dries I will paint the frame and body mounts black. The gas tank will be gun metal.

The exhaust, transmission, seat belts, engine accessories, and some interior parts have been painted their respective colors (no pic sorry).

The front seat is glued together. I have the interior bucket, dash, and steelies all cleaned and ready to paint. I still have to paint the engine itself once the transmission dries.

Slow process here.

post-10388-0-66833100-1346894317_thumb.j

Well yesterday I messed up. I grabbed a can of red primer out of the garage without thinking. :(

It did not stick and was sort of a gummy mess. I know about "the purple pond", brake fluid, over cleaner..etc.

However, you can get LA's Totally awesome all purpose cleaner for $1 at the dollar tree (see thumbnail).

I tossed the frame\floor pan in there for about 40 minutes. Sloshed it around a little at that point. Then let it sit another 20 minutes. I used a toothbrush (3 pack for $1) and brushed it off under warm water.

The result? See for yourself (thumbnail). I am letting it air dry then will prime it with the correct primer later.

post-10388-0-17151000-1346959432_thumb.j

post-10388-0-16857300-1346959441_thumb.j

Hi again,

I woke early today. This kit is missing the flathead exhaust manifolds and the crossover (technically under) pipe. Its not on the instructions, nor on the sprue anywhere. Since I am doing a stock build, I found a gentleman who has the parts and wants some of the "hotrod" parts from this kit. We will just trade. :)

I sanded the body some more...hoping to get rid of a few more of the swirls in the plastic that showed through the first coat of primer. This is the 2nd coat of primer. I just brought it in from the back porch. While not totally dry, its raining out there..so... (see first attachment)

We will see how the body looks after a round of wet sanding with 1500 next time.

I also started detailing the floor pan and frame. I will have to experiment with other techniques. My hands shake so bad. I think the interior will be a nightmare. It is a bit rough. :(

Ignore the empty spice jar propping it up (second attachment).

post-10388-0-30277100-1347022895_thumb.j

post-10388-0-70910800-1347022901_thumb.j