Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint spray booth

Mine is a back draft I used furring strips and made a box and in the back I made a box that holds the Bathroom vent fan that is connected to a dyer vent tube outside. The walls are a plastic shower walls that I cut up and screwed into the furring strips . I use a furnace filter also in the back to catch most of the over spray. I had the furring strips and bathroom shower walls from remodeling my bathroom. Cost was maybe $20 for everything else . Did it all about 15 years ago Was glad i saved that old shower came in handy for this. Would take pictures but daughter has the camera and she isn't here.

• 3 weeks later...

lol i live in a town house and it has a 1 and a half bath room,well the one is upstairs ,and the half is my spray booth ,the bathroom has a window i got a box fan from walmart ,and put it in the window blowing out the window ,ran a cord to the light switch so when i turn on the light the fan comes on ,.i built a table on the toilet since it is right under the window ,works for me ,

mykits2318.jpg

• 2 months later...
I did mine with wood and used an inductor for a fan. These inductors are usually installed between vents to move heat to the farthest rooms from the heat source in bigger houses. They have the electrical connections right on the outside so that you can hook them up any way you wish. They are usually hooked up to thermostats and stuff but all you have to do is splice and install an extension cord right onto them.

DB_204.jpg

I installed mine about three years ago and have not had any issues. I just ran some 4" flexible clothes dryer vent right outside the house and that's it.

DSC01717.jpg

These inductors come in 8" and 4" wide sizes, I went with an 8" and bought some reducing vent couplers to go from 8 to 4 inch flexible dryer vent material. Pretty good at sucking all the paint fumes right outside the side of my house!!!

How many CFM is your induction fan. Just curious because I want to build a paint booth just like that one.

Thanks

Brian

I would be concerned about using a kitchen or bathroom blower. I read somewhere that at least 200 cfm is needed. My weed blower (used on the vacuum side) puts out roughly 400 cfm. Since there is no venturi effect on the vacuum side with the large opening of the spray booth, you can't actually feel the air move. When I am painting, the overspray (which is directed outside the house) immediately disappears.

To avoid the accumulation of paint on the walls of the booth (which can fall back on the model), I lined it with newspaper; which I change periodically.

• 6 years later...

Hi guys I'm wondering how safe it would be to use a ceiling fan or any not recommended for flammables to paint with lacquer paints. From what I understand, there could be a possibility of an explosion but I'm seeing most of you guys are using ceiling fans which shouldn't be protected from flammables?

Not to start a big debate, as I read the thread on safe exhaust fans for spray booths, but I built one many moons ago(don't have it anymore), and the main thing is, use a sealed motor, not an open one. A sealed motor uses the air running across it from the fan blade, to cool it, thereby no paint particulates are sucked into the motor, like an open one. True, you could go for years with an open motor, and no problems, but, all it takes is one spark from an open motor, and I didn't want to take that chance. I incorporated a channel from wood trim, to slide a furnace filter in, before the motor/fan assembly, to catch the paint particulates, and not allow a paint buildup on other parts of the booth. Also, be careful about the CFM's, remember that the air you are pulling through the booth involves the air in the room, you are painting in. Too much, can bring dust from the room into the booth. JMO, but if you insist on using an open motor, please set up a furnace filter before the motor, so it doesn't clog up with paint. The ideal build, is to have the motor mounted outside the booth, so its not subjected to paint, or fumes.

Cheers,

Lance

• Like 1

Good point Lance. The squirrel cage type fan is what you want to use.  

Any motor in the air flow has a chance to fail and cause a spark. Having been in the electrical business for thirty plus years, I have seen way too many bath fans and kitchen hood fan motors burnt up.  They were doing what they were designed to do. Paint and thinner build up on any open motor is, in time, going to fail ... How lucky are you? 

• 2 weeks later...

It actually worked out very well, I did just recently scrap it though, it had been outside for the last few years under the Patio, and was starting to show its age, then as luck would have it I ran across a Paasche paint booth in nearly new condition on Offer Up, for a very good price, and I scooped it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 2:07 PM, Belugawrx said:

Down and dirty,...

IMG_4838%20600x450_zpsp1apuupe.jpg

wire,..switch,..bath fan, ..filter (modified),..2" rigid foam window filler,..recycle bin...

50 bucks, together in 25 mins.

This is almost exactly the same set up I've used now for a couple of years Bruce. I think I spent a grand total of $35 on the whole thing and it works like a charm.

I found these plans on a model railroad site years ago and I have used them to build my paintbooth.  It's not perfect, but it does work rather well.  I also use it for a photobooth by adding large sheets of colored poster board.  Like I said, it's not perfect, but it does work.

2003115213034_spraybooth2_raster.gif

Model Paint Booth.gif

DSCN2093.JPG