Model Cars Magazine Forum

New off-topic area

I'm really not sure this off topic section is a good idea. One of the things I always liked about this forum was that it was just models.

Oh well not to worry, I'm fairly certain someone will cause some random discontent and Gregg will shut it down.

I'm really not sure this off topic section is a good idea. One of the things I always liked about this forum was that it was just models.

Apparently it wasn't just about Models, hence the need to put all that OffTopic stuff in an OffTopic Section.

Oh well not to worry, I'm fairly certain someone will cause some random discontent and Gregg will shut it down.

CadillacPat

I dont get the hate for people wanting to talk about things other then models, we dont talk about models the entire time at our club meetings, and almost every forum has an off topic section. I dont see why it matters if its done in the proper thread section

Edited by martinfan5

Guest G Holding

Yeah.....

RANDISCOM DNT ONTE !!!

I dont get the hate for people wanting to talk about things other then models, we dont talk about models the entire time at our club meetings, and almost every forum has an off topic section. I dont see why it matters if its done in the proper thread section

X2..... IMHO un-necessary regulation.

Another forum also made an Off Topic section years ago because Political talk was very popular. But the owner also made it better by making the Off Topic board not appear in the "New Posts"....if the reader wanted to view off topic political rant, he would click on that thread. This allowed the majority to read new threads without having to navigate through 50 threads about George Bush. I haven't visited there in awhile but if memory serves it worked out well.

I may not be reading you correctly, but the Off-Topic forum was created specifically because there were so many off-topic, non-car-related threads in General, which now should be devoted to car/modeling subjects only. As Harry mentioned, the Off Topic forum still has to follow the long-established rules of civil conduct, no religion, no politics, no flaming.

Look at the threads in the Off Topic forum. Almost all of them were initially posted in General, and almost none are related to cars or models. However, I would have put Off Topic at the top with General because of their prior relationship and to create a more obvious distinction between the two. I'm sure there will continue to be off-topic threads posted in general, which the moderators will have to move.

Edited by sjordan2

Kind of hard when you hit view new content and all you see is off topic stuff....

When you click "View New Content," you have the option of filtering which new content you want to see (or not see).

This forum software has all kinds of options for you to customize things the way you want them. All you have to do is make use of the features instead of complaining about stuff.

I will say that there are a number of threads that I don't understand being transferred to Off Topic from General, because it seems to me they deal with car modeling...

Michael's 50% off coupon (doesn't this relate to buying car models and supplies?)

Many US EBay Sellers Will Opt In For International Shipping Soon

(same as above)

GOT MY NEW ROOM DONE!

(model-building workplace)

Why would these not belong in General?

Edited by sjordan2

I will say that there are a number of threads that I don't understand being transferred to Off Topic from General, because it seems to me they deal with car modeling...

Michael's 50% off coupon (doesn't this relate to buying car models and supplies?)

Many US EBay Sellers Will Opt In For International Shipping Soon

(same as above)

GOT MY NEW ROOM DONE!

(model-building workplace)

Why would these not belong in General?

Maybe some of them do, Skip. The post about shipping and ebay is about just that, ebay's new shipping option.

If you think a post should be in a different section than where it's currently located, send me a PM with a link, please.

Maybe some of them do, Skip. The post about shipping and ebay is about just that, ebay's new shipping option.

If you think a post should be in a different section than where it's currently located, send me a PM with a link, please.

All of the above have links and are on page 1 of Off Topic, and all are directly related to our hobby. Nothing about health, pets, children, etc. I posted my comment because it is now very confusing as to what the policy is regarding what goes where, and I think our members deserve clarification.

All of the above have links and are on page 1 of Off Topic, and all are directly related to our hobby. Nothing about health, pets, children, etc. I posted my comment because it is now very confusing as to what the policy is regarding what goes where, and I think our members deserve clarification.

There is no perfect fit for every forum topic, so sometimes we make a judgement call where we feel it fits best. The Off-topic section is what, four days old? I went through the first 16 pages of the General section, moving posts out of General and into other categories, but mainly to Off Topic and the also very new Member Introduction section. I'm still planning to do more, but each topic is located where is is because either the O.P. posted it there, or Harry or I moved it there, based on where we felt it best belongs. Again, if you have a question or want an explanation, please PM me.

I moved the Michael's coupon back to GD. I replied to it an bumped it back up this afternoon, so there will still be plenty of older posts which have yet to be and may never be moved from GD to OT. Maybe I clicked on it when I was moving other posts out of GD to OT, and it got moved when it should've stayed.

I can't believe people are having this big of an issue with the off-topic section. I honestly think it is a great idea because it cleans up the board a bit, since it is hard to talk about models only at all times. I would like to second the suggestion of it being placed at the top near the General section though, I feel there is a better chance of it being used there.

I would like to second the suggestion of it being placed at the top near the General section though, I feel there is a better chance of it being used there.

Like Casey said, the section is just a few days old. Let's see how it plays out. I might move it up into General, I might leave it where it is. Give it a few weeks to settle in for everyone and we'll see where we're at then.

BTW... Skip, I did move a couple of the topics you mentioned back into General. And Casey moved the Michael's topic back. So you're 3 for 3! They could have gone either way, but I don't see any problem with them being in General.