Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/16 Street Charger

geordie

My number one aim will be to finish the kit (within a reasonable time, say two months), basically stock build, '80's street machine, jacked rear end, black pint, will do some additional wiring, basically relive my youth, I first build this kit when I was about 18, never finished it.......I chopped the roof.

After announcing to the world my intention to finish this kit in two months, back in April, my performance has been miserable, in fact pathetic. I have some time off work this Christmas and a new spray booth, so expectations are high to make some progress.

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for 2013 to all.

• 2 years later...

"Geordie, quick stalling and get back to work!"

Well said Bonekrosha!

I'm back, three years later, same kit. I find myself at home for a month, on doctors orders.

Today I did some work on the engine cage, front suspension parts, headers, rear end and tranny.

Some parts are almost ready for paint.

Need some new putty though, the years have not been kind to my old tube.

post-9706-0-67483600-1427338466_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

No more progress on the Charger since last weekend ... I did finish up my new airbrush station ... I have had the spray booth for some time .... but the compressor and Iwata Eclipse are new ... never owned an airbrush before .... looking forward to trying it out .... just need another delivery from Amazon with some final supplies.

DSCN2192.JPG

DSCN2193.JPG

DSCN2194.JPG

Next job on the Charger is to widen the rear arches  .... I don't want to do this by just applying filler and shaping it .... I plan to pie cut the existing arches and adding small wedge pieces between the cuts .... then smoothing and finishing with some filler ..... anybody tried this and have any tips.

Thanks in advance.

Worked on the passenger side rear wheel arch today ... my goal was to 'flare' the arch ... instead of just 'clagging' on plastic filler to create the arch.  Generally the approach shown in the attached photos seemed to work pretty well.  The individual plastic tangs did not 'bend' as I expected ... they tended to crack, but stay connected ... mostly.  I secured them with a layer of plastic filler on the inside and will file, smooth and add more filler to the outside to shape.  First time I've tried this ...

DSCN2202.JPG

DSCN2203.JPG

DSCN2205.JPG

DSCN2208.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be retiring from work at the end of next week ... that's great ... but it also means that I'm an old fart ?

Had a productive day today on the Street Charger ... I sanded down the rear wheel arches and they are stable and solid ... I made a beaded arch by running a length of .060 inch square Evergreen around each arch, this will give each arch a smoother profile, extend them a bit and give me an edge to sand up to.  I then applied a thin layer of Tamiya putty to shape the arches ... I'll let that harden up over night and then go to work on that.

Also today was the 'maiden voyage for my Iwata Eclipse air brush set up ... after some plastic spoon painting and practice I primered the majority of the drive train with Model Master Primer.  I have never owned an air brush before ... except a cheap bottle feed one with compressed air cans .... I am very impressed with the Iwata Eclipse ... very smooth and controlled ....

DSCN2219.JPG

DSCN2220.JPG

DSCN2223.JPG