Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 F/Stock Barracuda Golden Commandos

July 2014 I met the current owner / restorer of the original 1965 F/Stock Barracuda campaigned by the Golden Commandos. He is a great guy. I was asking him questions about his car and told him I would like to build a model of it. He asked what I would charge him for one. Didn't know what to say, never been asked to build a model before for someone. So, in the meantime I have collected various items to build said car.

I started with a resin 1965 Barracuda kit from Model Car World but then I lucked into an original unmolested AMT body. Got a 1971 Duster donor kit for chassis, engine. Got "new" chrome trim from ModelHaus and started building. I have so far gotten the body painted, bare-metal foiled and started the decals. Decals have so far been from Slixx but I do have a set from Model Car World as well. Got the paint code from owner for the Bronze and ordered that from Scale Finishes. The worst thing will be the fenderwell headers.

Real Car as seen at Carlisle

No automatic alt text available.

Model

Image may contain: car

Image may contain: car

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Interior has been painted gold and then semi-gloss clear. I applied gold embossing powder to carpeted areas.

Edited by jjsipes

"Going Commando"....lol.

I used to like this car a lot. I was driving a 65 Valiant V100 to High School and couldn't wait until I was a Senior. Then I had the OK from Dad to put a V8 in the thing. Until then, Slantzilla ruled.

Jason, this is looking real sweet. Cool car!

Michael

• 1 month later...

Nice! in '66 we built my brothers '65 like Mopar said with a book they provided. Told what valves to use, Cam etc car ran in the low 14's with a 3:91 rear ratio. By that time Dougs headers had a real nice set that went down under the chassis.

Nice work Jason. Looks like your camera is struggling with the close-up pictures like mine does. I don't zoom in quite so tight which allows my camera to focus better. Then I crop the picture removing most of the background and that makes the image I want larger. Try it it might work for you too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...