Model Cars Magazine Forum

" CadillacPat's HellBound HelloWeen HotWheel Passion Sets "

CadillacPat

" CadillacPat's HellBound HelloWeen HotWheel Passion Sets "

Here's some recent HotWheels Passions (Mercury's) I made 3 car sets of.

The Pearl Black was added as a Bonus Car.

These Customs in my HellBound HelloWeen Series are Purgatory Purple Pearl, Evil Emerald Green Pearl, Ghoulish Gold Pearl and BoogieMan Black Pearl.

All Products Used Are Exclusively House of Kolor, Of Course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PICT0142.jpg

PICT0143.jpg

PICT0144.jpg

This is how all the cars look as they come from the factory,

PICT0001.jpg

White interiors, blackwall rubber tires and chrome rims.

Everything gets painted,

After they are disassembled and stripped,

PICT0003-1-1.jpg

The bodies then filed free of imperfections, sanded and rubbed down with #3 Steel Wool, and headlights drilled out for RhineStone inlay,

PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0007-1.jpg

Primered,

PICT0002-2.jpg

Based with Shimrin White,

PICT0002-3.jpg

And then SnowWhite Pearl,

PICT0004-2.jpg

(CONTINUED, 10 picture limit per post) scroll down,

In the preceding steps the bodywork (removing of factory imperfections) is done to change the casting from a mass made car full of blemishes, flash and mold scars, to something more suitable for a nice paintjob and graphics.

The SnowWhite Pearl is the key to how the flamed Decals will look.

In all 4 cars the Clear InkJet Decals go down over the SnowWhite Pearl.

The Purple and Green Passions have the same exact Decals.

The Yellow Passion of course has Green Decals, and the Black Passion has a set of newly designed White Decals.

Okay, Clear InkJet Decals are Decals printed on Clear InkJet Decal Paper, a clear film on paper.

Neither InkJet nor LaserJet Printers have White Ink so any image printed with them showing a white portion is actually left blank for that area.

The White background of paper is left showing that clear area of the Decal as White.

The transparent inks (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow,) of InkJet Printers are like stained glass windows allowing whatever color is behind them to partially shine through.

Black ink is nearly opaque and remains Black.

The SnowWhite Pearl behind these Decals shines through almost as if they were backlit.

The Red flames become brighter, the Green flames become brighter and the White (Clear) flames allow the SnowWhite Pearl to shine right through the clear Decal film.

So, The Decals all go down over the SnowWhite Pearl.

Each Decal is drawn on a Black background leaving a thin 1/16" border all the way around the Decal.

Here's an example,

DecalWebExample.jpg

You can see that my Decals are all drawn right on top of a scanned image of the casting.

This assures a perfect fit.

Once the Decals are all applied I brush Liquid Latex (Rubber Mold Building Latex) over just the flames part of the Decal. Then I go in and AirBrush everything Black.

No longer do we have a SnowWhite Pearl body because now it is all Black.

The Rubber liquid mask is removed leaving me with a Black car with flames.

Now comes the magic.

In the case of the Purple and Green cars, the color you see is all Pearl Powder, no Purple or Green paint at all.

I mix 5cc of InterCoat Clear with a small match head's worth of Pearl Powder and with my AirBrush turned down low I direct the majority of it over just the Black areas.

The Black quickly turns to the color of the Pearl applied. It doesn't take much to make the color change.

Just before I use up all 5cc's of the Pearl InterCoat mix I open up the AirBrush and spray the whole casting so everything blends in nicely.

Now I have a Purple Pearl casting and remarkably the text and image of the Decals is barely affected.

Rhinestone Headlights are inlaid at this point and lastly I ClearCoat with another small dose of Pearl Powder.

In this case here of the Purple and Green Passions both having the same Red Decal flames,

PICT0148.jpg

You can see the Purple Pearl changed the Red flames to a Pinkish Red and on the Green they moved slightly to an Orange Red. The Flames didn't change color nearly as much as the Black body did.

PICT0147.jpg

The Black Passion with White flames is done the same but with Carbon Black Pearl Powder.

The light layer of Black Pearl on top of the colorcoat Black combined with the Black Pearl in the ClearCoat make for a great dazzling shine.

I call this one Ebony and Ivory.

PICT0149.jpg

PICT0150.jpg

PICT0151.jpg

PICT0152.jpg

(CONTINUED) scroll down,

Now, in case you are curious about the Yellow Passion.

PICT0146.jpg

I mix the same 5cc's of InterCoat Clear with Yellow Pearl Powder and add 1 drop of Candy Pagan Gold Intensifier to spray after the Decals are applied.

The car changes to a light Yellow Pearl that deepens once I apply the usual measure of 1/8 oz. ClearCoat, additional dash of Yellow Pearl and another drop of Candy Pagan Gold Intensifier.

It's just amazing how color changes when you apply Pearl Powders over a Black surface.

PICT0154.jpg

PICT0155.jpg

We're not done yet,

In the picture of the Factory casting you can see the blackwall rubber tires with chrome rims.

That all changes.

PICT0017-1.jpg

These little replicas of those all steel cars from the Heavy 50's need that fat WhiteWall Retro look.

The rubber tires are scuffed with ScotchBrite, then they are taped and shot with Adhesion Promoter, then AirBrushed Shimrin White and then SnowWhite Pearl. Lastly they get a protective layer of clear acrylic.

PICT0019-1.jpg

Tiny Chrome Center Caps are also AirBrushed Adhesion Promoter then Candy then Clear to trim out the painted rims,

PICT0020.jpg

White Interiors are also AirBrushed coordinating colors to match or contrast with each car's color.

Reassembly is with Rivets for a permanent factory appearance.

Here's how I package these,

PICT0060-1.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

PICT0075-1.jpg

PICT0070.jpg

(CONTINUED) scroll down,

Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Pat, I have a question for ya, What is the Adhesion Promoter that you refer too? Is that a HOK product?

Yes Vypurr everything is House Of Kolor,

But, just like the Champion Legacy Clear Urethane I recently posted about, I always like to offer Customizers a choice of a less expensive product that will still give the same high end results.

So, for your Adhesion Promoter you can just as easily use Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter. A few quick sprays, dusting it on will work.

Duplicolor not BullDog, BullDog is twice the expense and no difference at all.

ok.... so after you redo the Hotwheels cars, you package them and sell them?

Sure Harry, that's it, although "redo" kind of falls short of describing the process.

People like Souveniers and what better to make Souveniers from than HotWheels.

Everybody likes cars.

Hence my term Promotional Customs.

CadillacPat