Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting a new '99 Silverado model kit questions?

I'm in the process of building a '99 Silverado model kit, the stock version without the drop package. I want to paint it in Duplicolor's GM victory red over pewter metallic...I have a few questions to ask before I paint the body.

1. Should I use another brand of hobby-grade clearcoat, like the rare Tamiya TS-13 Clear or Testor's "Wet Look" clear to cover my Duplicolor'sbasecoat paint?

2. Since "Perfect Paint" by Alex Kustov mentioned that metallic paint is best clear coated before polishing, should I take heed to his advice? The lower portion of the truck will be painted in a metallic paint, Duplicolor's pewter metallic. And since the top portion is non-metallic do I have to clearcoat it together with the lower portion before polishing?

3. If I were to go against Kustov's advice and just polish the whole thing prior to clear coating, should I mask off the top end so that the removed paint on the polish cloth won't smear the bottom part?

4. And are Gundam black markers are idea for painting the fine black trim lines the front window outer gaskets?

This is how I want to paint my model truck like.

post-14434-0-86204800-1410665867_thumb.j

Edited by addicted2modeling

I use duplicolor clear. I mainly use duplicolor paints. There are a few of my builds on here that are metallic. I just put a few coats of clear and thats it. In drag racing section, my Big John Mazmanian willys is duplicolor metal specs with 4 coats of clear. In big truck section under glass my california hauler and revell pete in about 6 hours builds are same way. My stretched out freightliner cabover is black with a metallic 2nd color, 3 coats of clear, no polishing.

Sorry ramble, hope it helps

1) Testor's wet-look clear works very well over Duplicolor metallics.

AUG12014Caddy_Challenger_50olds079_zps80

2, 3) SOMETIMES you can get away with polishing a metallic without clear. TEST FIRST. If it doesn't work, you will have to re-shoot the model with another coat of metallic BEFORE you can clear it. Polishing metallics and pearls before clearing CAN disturb and uncover (unevenly) the little sparkly flakes in the paint, making a blotchy mess. Don't risk it. TEST FIRST.

4) Sharpie

I did polish my 99 custom Silverado Deep Metallic blue and it the metallic finish was still intact. I think I l let the paint dry for about a day afterwards. But as I was polishing I've notice some paint got on my terry cloth..I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

Sharpie marker would be good, but doesn't it emits a slight purple hue when you have light shining on it at different angles?

Edited by addicted2modeling