Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi from England. I've been following the forum for some time but just got the courage to post one of my builds. It's a 1/24th Bedford O series made by Emhar. Built from the box with Military Modelling style painting and weathering. Hope you like it :rolleyes:

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

Welcome Andrew, your Bedford is really impressive. I'd never heard of Emhar before these came along, I wonder what else they have up their sleeve? I fancy trying one of these. Isn't this truck in this month's edition of Truck Model World?

Thanks for the kind words!

In response, it is 1/24th scale. I don't know if Emhar are planning any others but I hope so, they build very well, very good parts fit. They are not 'curbside', they have full engine and chassis detail. Finally, yes, I was lucky enough to have the model featured in TMW this month!!

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4327.jpg

Andrew,

This is an exceptional build. Very Impressive. What techniques did you use for the weathering? I have checked my local models supply outfit and they have both version of the Bedford. After seeing yours I think I will get both for some future projects.

Best Wishes

Dave

Thanks for the kind words!

In response, it is 1/24th scale. I don't know if Emhar are planning any others but I hope so, they build very well, very good parts fit. They are not 'curbside', they have full engine and chassis detail. Finally, yes, I was lucky enough to have the model featured in TMW this month!!

I bought this months TMW, haven't had chance to read it yet, but look forward to reading the article on you build ...

Thanks again for the kind words!

The kit is built from the box, no additions other than the small amount of wiring on the engine. As for weathering techniques, the chassis was painted with humbrol red then I added the scratches and scrapes with brown Vallejo acrylic paint and a small brush. When dry, I used Burnt Umber artists oil paint and added the downward streaks of rust with a flat brush. I then let that dry for a week or so before adding a wash of very thin black oil paint, allowing it to build around the details. The body work was all airbrushed matt black then randomly sprayed with patches of dark and mid brown to simulate the rust which was to show when I took the top paint off. as i used acrylic paints, I sealed these with Humbrol matt cote. When this was dry, I sprayed a fairly heavy coat of my wife's hairspray on, doing a section at a time. When this was dry (about 10 to 15 minutes, i airbrushed the top coat, blue on the cab, black for the fenders, again one area at a time. I used Vallejo matt acrylic paint. This is a technique I saw for painting whitewashed tanks so I don't know if gloss paints would work as you need to be able to get water under the top coat so it reacts with the hairspray. When the topcoat had dried (again, about 15 minutes) I took a small - old! - brush and plain water and started scrubbing at a small area. As the hairspray dissolves, it lifts the top paint which I lifted off with kitchen roll (paper towel). Do a small area at a time and just keep taking paint off until it looks right! As I had used matt (flat) paint, I freehand airbrushed gloss varnish over the remaining top colours when they were all dry.

The 'wood' bed was similar but as it has great grain detail engraved, I brushed painted pale grey paint on these areas to start, drybrushed the grain with dark grey then varnished it before treating with the hairspray and continuing as above. It all sounds quite complicated but I did the whole of the bodywork in a day as I used matt paints which dry quickly. This was my first attempt at this technique and it turned out ok - give it a go!

• 3 years later...