Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 ford

E St. Kruiser50

I wanted to share this as an example of how details can make a difference, and because I'm really proud of how well the hand painted graphics turned out.

This Tamiya kit is a joy to assemble with a full engine, so detailing it was an extra pleasure, and the decal graphics are just stunning, and apply beautifully.

The problem for me was the decals ended at the edge of the body instead of wrapping around under the various ending locations, especially where I opened the doors and hinged the engine cover to open and close, and at the wheel well openings. The edge of the decals were pretty obvious and unrealistic.

After painting the car a white urethane pearl and laying down the decals, and clear coating, I decided to finish the decal graphics to wrap around and under all those area's like the wheel wells, door jams, engine cover, etc., by hand painting the graphics in those area's to match. I was really surprised how well it turned out. It's impossible to tell it's not part of the decal.

I had already planned on there being a driver in the car as an initial part of the build. The driver and seat came from a NASCAR Bobby LaBonte Pontiac kit.

The plan was to detail the driver as best I could, and to hand paint his drivers suit to match the beautiful decal graphics on the body.

Never did anything like that before, but I'm always up for the challange cool.gif .

Anyway, the suit and helmet turned out beautiful, and I was awarded for all those little extra's wink.gif .

For those of you who love detail, here's a few pics, of a pretty stock kit with just some opening features and some careful detailing.

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Just curious, why does the driver have the NASCAR Aero wheel, Interstate Batteries and MBNA decals on it if you were matching the exterior or replicating the Mobil 1 driver? Seems that with your skills of painting you might have opted to adorn him with series correct sponsors…

BECAUSE ALL THE PIECES CAME FROM A NASCAR KIT, AND BECAUSE IT'S MY MODEL laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif .

HEY.....IT WON cool.gif .

Oh..... and thanks for the compliments blink.gifblink.giflaugh.gif .

dave

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Seriously, and you're going to have to take my word on this I'm asking out of curiosity and not to put you on the spot. The build is very well constructed/painted, etc. and you got rewarded for that.

However, I'm curious what class at the GSL it won? I don't know the rules, but I thought that most of the competion classes tended to be judged (at least ostensibly) against the real thing in cases where one existed. Less so the sponsor decals on the suit, but on something like the pearl white paint-vs-regular white, and some of the trim looking to be under the clear coat would (at least in contests I've judged) been considered a demerit during judging. Maybe the GSL, which I've never been to admittedly, doesn't take that under consideration.

Was it in a custom class or was it in a competition/closed wheel class?

Again, just curious...take it just on that level.

Yeah, sometimes I just gotta go and have some FUN when someone gives me the opportunity biggrin.gif .

Circle track or closed wheel - not sure how it was designated.

Like any contest, judges have their own standards - ME TOO, when I judge.

I just buid-um, then set 'um on the table ta see what happens.

Not sure how Mark and the guy's decide such things, but IT SURE IS FUN WHEN YA GO rolleyes.gif .

Got a couple buddies in the area here, and we always go there together to spend four days being

"ROWDY AND EATING WAY TOO MUCH".

MAN DO WE HAVE FUN cool.gif.

Not ever very concerned about the awards at the time, just good for "bragging rights years later" laugh.gif .

Just curious, why does the driver have the NASCAR Aero wheel, Interstate Batteries and MBNA decals on it if you were matching the exterior or replicating the Mobil 1 driver? Seems that with your skills of painting you might have opted to adorn him with series correct sponsors…

Who's to say they didn't sponsor him? There are a ton of associate sponsors out there...

Who's to say they didn't sponsor him? There are a ton of associate sponsors out there...

Well, since you asked, I am one to say they did not sponsor him.

Those sponsors came from one of the NASCAR decal sheets ironically I drew the artwork for, the Labonte Pontiac.

And I know they were not on the real drivers suit of the Mobil 1 Porsche.

Do a little research if you want the facts. There is no problem building fantasy or fiction, but don't try to pass it off as reality. (I am aware Dave did not try to pass the driver decalling off as accurate.)